Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Buffalo Creek this weekend riding (I'd only been there once before....) solo and I just wanted to thank the folks who offered suggestions while out riding.

Particularly the big group(s) at the Shinglemill/Tramway junction - where someone recommended I not ride up Sandy Wash, but rather DOWN it ... you were correct, it was one of the best trails at BC!

The guys who I rode and chatted with up Baldy - thanks for the encouragement!

Also the suggestion from a another solo rider to loop around and ride Charlie's Cutoff... what a great little section of trail!!!

The (new?) ******* Gulch Trail was absolutely stellar!!! Kudos to the trail crew(s) that did some great work up there... it rides beautifully (at least heading from Gashouse toward the CT ) - much nicer than the road...

Finally, after all the posts on "rude riders" at different places I have to say that everyone I ran into, hikers and bikers alike, were just so courteous. Folks were yielding for other riders - uphill and downhill ... just using commons sense and stopping where they could ... people would say, "excuse me" as they rode through ... it just made a great weekend that much better.

Thanks again for a great day.
S

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
stevereeneo said:
Particularly the big group(s) at the Shinglemill/Tramway junction - where someone recommended I not ride up Sandy Wash, but rather DOWN it ... you were correct, it was one of the best trails at BC!

S
Nope, those guys were sandbagging you. The best way is to ride UP Sandywash and down Baldy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeahhhhhh, that's what I meant... UP Sandy Wash ... ;-) My legs are a bit tired this morning (30 miles yesterday) - just thinking about climbing Sandy on my Monocog makes them hurt even more!

S

·
Registered
403 Posts
So did you do any fishing? I was there Friday and caught a bunch of browns. Every freakin' spot you would think would be holding fish gave up the goods. All were released unharmed to be caught another day...

Oh yeah, the riding there is pretty good too;)

·
Your bike is incorrigible
3,179 Posts
stevereeneo said:
Yeahhhhhh, that's what I meant... UP Sandy Wash ... ;-) My legs are a bit tired this morning (30 miles yesterday) - just thinking about climbing Sandy on my Monocog makes them hurt even more!

S
Hell, I can't imagine Baldy on my SS. I don't know if anyone told you, but you can start on the north side, go up Strawberry Jack, down Sandywash, over to the CO trail, down Tramway or Shinglemill, up Baldy and down Buck Gulch. That's a big day!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JimboCO -
I actually fished Friday evening and Sat. on the Platte downstream from Deckers. I was hoping to camp nearer Deckers - but the campgrounds were full - so I spent the night at Osprey CG - fished Friday night - very good evening caddis hatch - then early Sat morning - the trusty RS-2 was the ticket - picked up LOTs of smallish (10"-13") brookies and 2 healthy strong 18" browns... lots of fun.

Then I headed to Buffalo CG and got a campsite over there around 11:30, set up - rode for 3 hours (Baldy, Gashouse, ******* Gulch to the CT to the road, then back on the CT to the campground) and almost went fishing on Buffalo Ck - but I decided to eat a big meal and crash early...

Guyechka - I got passsed by some beast on his SS going up Baldy - I was stopped catching my breath, then a couple of guys on geared 29ers passed me and I followed them for a while and just before the top needed to stop once more... it is a great climb - next time I am shooting for a non-stop climb up Baldy!

Sunday I still rode a pretty good day: Buffalo CG Start - CT to Shinglemill, up Baldy to Gashouse, R to Homestead and Charlie's cutoff, L back around Homestead and Charlie's again (it's worthy of doing twice for sure!), down Sandy Wash (one of the best downhills at BC for sure!), up Gashouse, and down ******* to the CT and back to Buffalo CG...

So I still need to fish Buffalo Ck... I figure my 3 wt rod will be perfect... next time. A perfect trip leaves one with better ideas for the next time!

S

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimboCO
Where do you fish Buffalo Ck? I was looking at a nice section that looks like an older campsite up the road a bit.. but dow the Buffalo Ck Rd.also looks nice...
S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.