Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey y'all
semi-new to the area and started riding buffalo creek a lot last year, a couple of quick questions.
#1 about when does it dry out?

#2 sandy wash drops you onto buffalo creek rd and if you keep going towards buffalo creek town it starts off again, where does it go?? its not on my maps.

#3 where is the chair secret trail?

#4 whats the best map of the area, i have 2 and both seem a little inaccurate, or should i just assume i know it better than the maps (hard to believe that could be possibly)

looking forward to pedaling bc soon.
thanks for any answers to the above questions

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hope this helps...

#1 about when does it dry out?

I'm sure the section of the CT from Little Skraggy parking lot (pay lot) out to Chair Rocks is dry right now. A few of the other trails are probably dry as well but I would give another two weeks, at least, of the type of weather we are having now to make sure everything is pretty dry.

#2 sandy wash drops you onto buffalo creek rd and if you keep going towards buffalo creek town it starts off again, where does it go?? its not on my maps.

I'm assuming that you are riding Sandy Wash from Homestead heading toward the town of BC. If that's the case, once you hit road 543 and continue riding towards town, about 3/4 of a mile you come to a sign post that says Sandy Wash. If we're talking the same thing, that's is just an extension of Sandy Wash that continues from the main trail you were on. It goes about 3/4 of a mile down to the sign post and ends at the road. So where you are dropping down off SW to the road now, stop and look to the left before you drop down to the road. You will see where the trail continues. Better yet, ride it up from the sign post and you'll figure it out.

#3 where is the chair secret trail?

I think you're refering to the "Chair Rocks Secret Trail". As far as I know, there is no secret trail. Maybe folks are confusing it with the trail that goes out to Chair Rocks from the old Top of The World road. It's very overgrown so some might think it's a secret trail. You can either ride the old double track or the faint single track out to Chair Rocks. Either way, it's only about 1/2 mile in length. If you want more info on trail location, etc., e-mail me direct at [email protected]

#4 whats the best map of the area, i have 2 and both seem a little inaccurate, or should i just assume i know it better than the maps (hard to believe that could be possibly)

The best and most current map that I know of is the one that we (the Front Range Mountain Bike Patrol) and the Forest Service put together every year and hand out free to any that wants one. I think if you stop by the FS office that is on Goddard Ranch Road about 6 miles up 285 from C-470, on the left side, they might be able to scare you up a copy. Or better yet, come join our patrol and have fun riding BC, give something back to the sport and reap a few benefits along the way. This will be our 8th season patrnering up with the FS to help the BC trail users. My e-mail address is above if you're interested.

Have fun and hope to see you out on the trails.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Chair Rocks ...

I call the Chair Rocks trail "secret" because (1) it's not on many maps, and (2) most
people dont' know about it. But it's certainly legal (though not used much).

I just rode this Saturday. If you go 4.1 miles from where the Colorado Trail crosses
126, heading East, you'll see a place where the single track branches left about 15
degress, but some dead wood has been set across the offshoot. (Another reason
to call this trail "secret", I guess.) Go around the dead wood. You'll hit a dirt road
(now closed to cars). Cross it. You'll see two gaps in the fence there. Take the right one
(they are only about 40 feet apart), and follow the faint trail that follows another
closed 4-wheel road. It's only about 2/3 of a mile to the rock, all steadily up (though
not steeply). Heck of a view from there: you can see from Pikes Peak (about 1000
miles south) to the Continental Divide to the North West. And you can look down into
the Platte River Valley.

BTW, you can take the Colorado Trail all the way to Waterton Canon, though it's still
quite snowy in spots right now.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Oh yeah .. about maps ...

I forgot to mention about maps ...

I'd suggest searching the bike shop book shelfs for trail maps, but, hey, I collect
trail books, so maybe you won't like them as much as I do.

I *know* there are trails books I can't seem to find right now ... in particular, there's
a group of trails you can put together called "Jeremy's Loop", and I can't seem to
find it to save my life right now.

But I did find two books that have numerous trails in the area, including Chair
Rocks (though the description I found of chair rocks uses the road, which is closed
to cars now).

Try:

* Trails Guide, Denver to Pikes Peak, by my Zoltan Malocasy, and
* Front Range Single Tracks, by Tom Barnhart

just to name two. They both have sections on the Buffalo Creek area.

One more note: the Buffalo Creek pay parking lot, on the West side of 126, is
perhaps the most crowded place you can go in the area. The ride from there
west, on the Colorado Trail is sweet to say the least, but it can be like a freeway
on nice weekends. I like going to Pine Valley Ranch, but you get about a 30
minute climb to get up the cool trails from there (which is perhaps why many
folks don't park there). But the downhill you finish with kind of makes up for
it.

Enjoy the great rides up there (but please be curtious, so our trails don't get
closed!).

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Bike Patrol?

Hi Casey!

Are you in charge of the Front Range Bike Patrol, or are you "just" a patroller?

(BTW, thanks to all of the patrollers up there!)

I may have met you at the Buck Snort one day last year. My name is Lee Duncan,
and I'm in charge of the Boulder (BOA) Bike Patrol.

I'd love to get together with some of the FRBP guys some time and talk
about patrolling on the Front Range. I'm trying to build up Boulder's Bike Patrol,
since Boulder is perhaps the place that needs a bike patrol the most. ;)

Email me at [email protected] if you want (or reply here).

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
You mean this weekend?

brucerobs said:
Lee,
How were the trail conditions up there? Much snow ? Which loops did you ride?
Hi Bruce:

Do you mean this last weekend?

I rode to Chair Rock, then about 3/4 of the way to the Platte River on the
Colorado Trail, then back to the road (126?).

There was some snow blobs in the shady sections as we got close to the Platte
River (East facing). We rode through most of them, but a few of us get wet
when we didn't make it. :)

·
a dad
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies. i definately avoid bc on weekend whenever possible, fortunately i am a teacher and don't work summers so i try to ride during the week.
casey, what do you guys patrol and when, haven't run into anyone out there or anywhere else that i am aware of.

·
Registered
553 Posts
billybobzia said:
thanks for the replies. i definately avoid bc on weekend whenever possible, fortunately i am a teacher and don't work summers so i try to ride during the week.
casey, what do you guys patrol and when, haven't run into anyone out there or anywhere else that i am aware of.

Were out there on the weekends only from Memorial day through Labor day weekends. Our patrollers are allowed to ride anywhere in BC on the morning of a Patrol Day but in the afternoons, we focus on the CT between the pay parking lot and Meadows campground.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Contact...

Contact Tom Barnhart AKA Barn or in this forum Bobcat. His email address is in his guide book. As him about the status of Jason's (Sorry, don't remember his last name but you won't need it) buffalo creek map.

This was by far the best and most comprehensive map of the area I've seen, albeit it was a while ago.

Enjoy,

TCN

1 - 11 of 11 Posts