Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
SuperInstigator
2,169 Posts
Forge 5xx out of those two because of the disc brakes and the fork. I don't consider the axel comp very good, but I consider the RST Gila a POS. What is your budget? If you can pay a little more check out ibex or motobecane at bikesdirect.com.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Tough call

Of the two, the Forge appears to be a better value. A few people who have bought them have posted here and seem to like the bike. I still have my concerns about the frame, but based on some research I did, it would appear the frame is probably made ir designed by Giant. My concerns are more around the materials Forge uses, and what tolerances and weld quality they pay for in manufacturing. The pictures I've seen of the welds looks promising, so my concerns may be for nil.

Bob

·
Registered
22 Posts
lawnbike said:
bikes Forge 5xx vs. diamondback response(base) Both I can get for <$300.00 locally.Thoughts on decision??:confused:
I was looking at the same two bikes, and ended up with the Forge (a $200 Amazon Gift Certificate pushed it over the edge). most people on here didn't seem to care for the Diamond Back. (even though I like the looks of the frame, the box design is quite cool looking). The other bike I looked at was the Ibex Alpine 450... which has better components than the Responce (but cost is $100 more). The Forge has even better parts.

I just got an email that the Forge shipped... I'll take pictures, and beat the hell out of it in about a week or so. (I don't know where they ship from, but I'm figuring 5 Days to get to me in CA).

BTW: If you want the forge, do a google search for "Target" Coupons, there's always a 10% off online one running around (bringing the Forge to $270.00). Plus if you don't like it, you can return it to your local Target Store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.