Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike workstands are outrageously expensive and out of my price range. Does anyone know of cheap workstands like $50 to $60 or a cheap way to build one? If not, I was thinking that I could use a cheap halogen light workstand but can't figure out what kind of clamp to attach to it. Any ideas? The stand below has a removable light bar and a knob to screw down the base of the bar. All that would be needed is some kind of clamp.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ultimate bike stand

If you intend to use bike workstand ONLY at home, then you are better off built it yourself. However, if you intend to bring the stand to race or long bike trip. you will need the stand to troubleshoot bike problems.

I strongly recommend you get the Ultimate bike stand. There was a thread another biker post asking for difference in Park and Ultimate stand. Everyone recommend Park stand. You can get the consumer version of Ultimate bike stand instead of Pro version.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ma, I couldn't agree with you more! Park sells some 'Super-Duper-Best-Stand-Ever-Made-And-We-Are-Gonna-Charge-You-An-Arm-And-A-Leg' stand but it costs like close to $300. :eek: I think a few 2x4s some screws and an engineering mindset could lead to a pretty acceptable stand

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picard said:
If you intend to use bike workstand ONLY at home, then you are better off built it yourself. However, if you intend to bring the stand to race or long bike trip. you will need the stand to troubleshoot bike problems.

I strongly recommend you get the Ultimate bike stand. There was a thread another biker post asking for difference in Park and Ultimate stand. Everyone recommend Park stand. You can get the consumer version of Ultimate bike stand instead of Pro version.
Well the lowest price of the Ultimate or Park stand is about $90 still. It might be worth it but if I could build one for half that and have a halogen light as well, it seems like it would be worth it. I just need to figure out what to use as a clamp. Ideas???

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If you have a non-roof mounted bike rack for your car, you can sometimes use that as a stand. Some let you rotate the wheels, some don't.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rufudufus said:
I doubt that the base of that light stand is broad enough to hold your bike securely. I built a stand out of PVC pipe for about 20 bucks. Not very portable but works pretty well, and it's light.
Got any pics?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive been thinking about building my own stand also, i work at a guitar shop and ive been using a guitar stand to hold my bike during repairs for a year now. i think with a few modifications i could really have something here. Ill send pics once i get it done

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is what I have

Courtesy of SuperGo. I live in a smal apartment so storing and working on my bike on this rack works for me. A little awkward especially working on the drive train but it's better than nothing.

Attachments

·
Penis Goat!
806 Posts
Personally, I just turn the bikes upside down to work on them. It's never really been a problem.

That's mostly because I can't afford a stand right now, and don't want to half-ass it by building one. I'm planning on purchasing one soon, because I'll be able to.

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Personally, I just turn the bikes upside down to work on them. It's never really been a problem.

That's mostly because I can't afford a stand right now, and don't want to half-ass it by building one. I'm planning on purchasing one soon, because I'll be able to.
It can lead to potential problems with hydro discs.... not a big one, but there's the chance.

·
robust, yet smooth
473 Posts
Performance Quickstand - ??

Anyone see this thing?
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=2391&subcategory_ID=4216

"Compact and stable; just right for storage and routine maintenance. The Quickstand supports the bike at the seat and chainstays, and adjusts to fit all sizes of road and mountain bikes. Use it in your living room, and take it with you to hold your bike while you dress for a race (unbolts to two pieces for easy transport). "

For $13, it looks like it'd let you work on the drivetrain. Not as bling as the big blue Park, but jeez, even if it only sorta works, it'd be great for cleaning/tuning drivetrain. I'm thinking about "throwing it in the cart" for my next Performance order.

Anyone used one?

-capt pearl

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.