Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a budget minded wheelset.... I'm converting my bike so I'm going to need a full set up with tires included.... I am on a budget and honestly only have about $350-. I could find more but I'm really digging the enduro thing...... I've been creeping eBay for people's old set and that seems like the best option.... But I figured I would check here before pulling the trigger.... long story short how can I be a enduro cult member and a 650b cult member for cheap. Lol.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
There are a few options on chain reaction. I saw some DT Swiss spines (E 1900s) that were specifically for enduro and price was $347 (no tax or shipping). Weight was 1915g but realize 1) it's an enduro wheel and 2) you are paying less than $350 for the set. There are quite a few other options DT swiss and other brands if you look at chain reaction or other sites.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I am in a similar situation, and have been seeing Velocity P35 with XT hubs on ebay for around $250. Tires may put you a bit over budget. I am doing Nevegals, as they work well in 26" for my riding.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Amazon.com: 27.5 inch 650B WTB Speed Disc Wheel Set Package with WTB Wolverine Tires, Tubes, Rim Strips and Skewers: Sports & Outdoors

Here they are a little cheaper...
BikeIsland.com - Bicycle Parts, Accessories and Clothing at Affordable Prices with Free Shipping

I picked these up from a guy on CL, actually traded my 26" wheelset for these. The tires were too tall for my conversion, so I sold them and bought some AKAs. I know they are far from the best, but I didn't want to spend a lot for an experiment, and I ended up spending $13 total. They got decent reviews online, and I was able to set the rear up ghetto tubeless.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I have a used king/wtb and am classic/velocity setup on pinkbike for 350. I'll toss in the nevegals with the set.

I also have a set on my rush that I'd sell for even less, but we'd have to work out a front since it's a lefty hub.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I'm looking for a budget minded wheelset.... I'm converting my bike so I'm going to need a full set up with tires included.... I am on a budget and honestly only have about $350-. I could find more but I'm really digging the enduro thing...... I've been creeping eBay for people's old set and that seems like the best option.... But I figured I would check here before pulling the trigger.... long story short how can I be a enduro cult member and a 650b cult member for cheap. Lol.....
How bout using your existing hubs from your 26" wheels (providing they aren't too nice to take apart) and buying some inexpensive rims from Universal or Outside Outfitters and have a shop/ride buddy who can build up? I did that on both of my wheel sets. Just a thought.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks dude, and sorry for the spam.
Story of my life.... I ended up buying a new set of take offs on eBay...... I would have loved to buy those wheels..... Thanks anyway.... Picks to follow. There going on my reign....,

How did u like the nevgals by the way?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Not a problem. I'm not in a hurry to sell. it was my first king hub and a bit of a splurge, but I prefer 29s to 650s.

I think the nevegals are OK tires. They have a nice tacky compound that works great in wet weather. They also have a round profile and a weird tread pattern that doesn't corner too well. I'd try and cut them (cut out the intermediate knobs entirely or alternate, see "the steve peat cut") if I were to keep the or had them as my only set of tires. However, I also had pacenti neo-motos, which I think are excellent tires, so I ran them exclusive of the winter time. The pacentis roll better, climb as well, corner better, but they're a harder compound so they don't grip quite as well. I have no time on the hans dampfs, since they didn't fit in my frame.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts