Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· kbraunphoto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small '05 Scalpel 2000. I am trying to shave weight and retain a functional bike. I was thinking as my seat post is nearly all the way down. Can i cut off X amount of length before it becomes dangerous. How much seat post do i need? I know there is a mark and that dont go past it. But how much can i cut off?

I also instead of buying lizard skins, i use an old tube to protect my chain stays.
I wrap a piece of plastic around my shock as a boot, it was free and works.

What other ideas are there for the budget minded weight weenie I ask you.

How many feet of our intestines do we acutally need? anyone know, i wonder how much weight that is.

· Registered
301 Posts
try tires and tubes. theyre relatively cheap, and will give you the most bang for the buck. you may not lose as much as other places, but you will feel it more, since it is rotational weight rather than static weight. next go saddle, stem/bars, derailleurs(sp?), crankset, etc... work your way from wheels in, if that makes sense...

· Trail rider and racer
4,675 Posts
www.ebay.com is a great place to find cheap deals.

- Use Foam grips
- Look for some cheap deals on light weight saddles like a selle italia SLR
- Replace your UST tyres with lightweight tubes and tyres.
- Find a pair of Crankbrothers Egg beaters on ebay and use them - they are quite light.

Perhaps post a spec list of all the parts on your bike so we can make better suggestions.

· kbraunphoto
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i realized that i should have posted the specs after i submitted.
it's pretty much stock except for Xpedo mag/sl's
being a college kid i was trying to think of cheap ways to go so i can start entering some endurance races this year and still have money to eat with.

xtr rear D
Full XT other than the RD
carbon lefty

removed all stickers and washed after every session

im planning on eggbeaters or xpedos' 3x ti pedals
and of course the replacement of my tires and wheelset

i ride mostly compact dirt and rooted trails, lots of hill attacks and rocky decents
but my wallet is bare, so ill ride till my tires burst.

i was also thinking of some myths and/or crazy tricks to maintence and the like.

i ran across this guy who put wax on his chain to keep the dirt off? dont know the benefits of that, anyone tried it?

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Light grips are a cheap way to save weight (Titec Pork Rinds, Ritchey foam).

With the seatpost, I think the rule of thumb is to have half as much in the bike you have protuding (I'd go for a 1:1 ratio if your seat is really close to the top tube though).

Pedals are actually a fairly expensive way to save weight imo, especially if you already have fairly light ones.

RE: Chain wax/dry lube. Works in dry conditions by repelling dust and grit. Some people like it, but I prefer my wet lube. Dry isn't any lighter after all :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.