Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering a thought for the weight and wallet conscious riders out there.

How lite can you buy a MTB by spending $2000 (retail) on a multispeed 29er (18" Med/Lrg) hardtail w/100mm FS? Brand and components don't matter.

What bike do you buy and what parts do you swap out if any?
:idea::???:

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. This should be right around 25 lbs with average weight pedals. Can I spend more than the $2000 on the upgrades..a little confused by your question. If yes, I swap out the wheels for the alloy Roval Controls and ditch the front der./shifter, add a Wolf Tooth ring (direct mount if compatible with the crank) and I am in the 23 range which is plenty light for most people. I would say this would put you at $2700 or so retail; if they shop was nice and would give you a credit for the stockers, maybe closer to $2500. Also, obviously go tubeless in this process.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
25# is pretty good for a $2k hardtail. I was looking at the Giant XTC Composite 29er 2. It looks to be pretty light, but I can't find the weight posted anywhere. $2100 for a carbon bike isn't bad.

What I'm really wondering however is if you could get a $1400 bike and throw some superlight $600 wheels on it and get say a 23# bike.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
Highly unlikely. $600 isn't going to get you superlight wheels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
I ride bikes
2,420 Posts
Specialized Stumpjumper Comp. This should be right around 25 lbs with average weight pedals. Can I spend more than the $2000 on the upgrades..a little confused by your question. If yes, I swap out the wheels for the alloy Roval Controls and ditch the front der./shifter, add a Wolf Tooth ring (direct mount if compatible with the crank) and I am in the 23 range which is plenty light for most people. I would say this would put you at $2700 or so retail; if they shop was nice and would give you a credit for the stockers, maybe closer to $2500. Also, obviously go tubeless in this process.
a stumpy 29 comp will weigh in about 30lbs with pedals.
Stumpjumper FSR Comp alloy 29er – 29lbs 10oz

For $2k you wont be able to buy a new weight weenie 29er FS.

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
a stumpy 29 comp will weigh in about 30lbs with pedals.
Stumpjumper FSR Comp alloy 29er – 29lbs 10oz

For $2k you wont be able to buy a new weight weenie 29er FS.
The Stumpjumper Comp is a HT; I didn't say "FSR". The OP specifically said he was looking at HTs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
you can build a 22lb bike for under $2k or if you go with Chinese carbon you can probably do a 20lb bike for this price.
Also Sette has some good options for $2k that are 24lb if i'm not mistaken.
If you don't want to build a good option is to buy airborne or BikesDirect bike and upgrade frame and or wheels for rest of the money.

You can get stans wheels that are about 1700g for $500. that's a pretty light wheelset for the money and sure beats anything that's stock on sub $2k name brand bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I picked up a 2013 Rocky Mountain Vertex 950rsl for $1700 threw some ztr crest wheels on it from another bike and got down to 21 pounds.

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
I think 23 pounds would be doable for around 2k. Find a 29er hardtail in used and good condition for around 1k or 1,200.

Get a set of Stan's crest wheels or something similar. 500-600. You're at 1,600-1,800.

Then go to a 1x9 or 1x10 by removing your other chainrings, front derailleur, and shifter. Get a guide or make one. 30 dollars for chain guide and the price of steel chainring. 60 total... 1,660- 1,860.

Then buy a new set of tires for your conditions.

Move any other lighter parts onto new bike.

In the future upgrade the seat post, bars, seat, and possibly the crank. You've now rebuilt your entire bike.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you can build a 22lb bike for under $2k or if you go with Chinese carbon you can probably do a 20lb bike for this price.
Also Sette has some good options for $2k that are 24lb if i'm not mistaken.
If you don't want to build a good option is to buy airborne or BikesDirect bike and upgrade frame and or wheels for rest of the money.

You can get stans wheels that are about 1700g for $500. that's a pretty light wheelset for the money and sure beats anything that's stock on sub $2k name brand bikes.
rallymaniac,

I think you've hit the nail on the head. 99% of the carbon bikes are made in Communist China, so I don't think the brand matters much. I looked on Ebay and I found a number of 29er frames for about $500. With a $500 set Stans of wheels, that would leave $1000. Now I just need a parts kit with a fork. I was even considering a pair of Chinese carbon hoops, I'm just not sure if it could be done under $2K or if it's worth the extra $.

·
Registered
250 Posts

Then go to a 1x9 or 1x10 by removing your other chainrings, front derailleur, and shifter. Get a guide or make one. 30 dollars for chain guide and the price of steel chainring. 60 total... 1,660- 1,860.

No guide needed these days. Just buy an aluminum NW chainring from Race Face or WolfTooth and you're set. :)

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
No guide needed these days. Just buy an aluminum NW chainring from Race Face or WolfTooth and you're set. :)
Not necessarily; a clutch-type r. der. is really necessary if you want a 100% no-drop set up. Not having one works but you my lose the chain once in a while.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Start with Chinese carbon frame and wheels for about $1k. Then spend the remaining $1k wisely on components and you could have a very, very light build for your budget.

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
The only way to get a bike under 25 pounds for $2000.....is to buy ALL the high-end parts USED. Fear not - most of those parts are often well pampered by their owners...who make it a point to baby them, especially after spending full retail!

This works out WELL for you.....

·
I like turtles
6,370 Posts
I suppose "durability" hasn't been discussed yet...do you want a durable AND light bike or just a light bike? IMHO, the Cheap-o Chinese carbon combined with budg-o parts aren't going to yield the durability for everyday riding. Just something to think about. Also, nobody even asked the OP...is building a bike what you want or do you want an off-the-shelf complete bike? Building a bike up isn't for everyone and most assume zero cost for assembly..most folks don't have all the necessary tools or the know-how to do all of the build.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts