Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is budget value forks? Well, let me try <$250. I realise that $250 seems pretty laughable for many on this forum. I can tell you that most of you guys probably have forks that are worth way more than my entire bike with mods. But I really appreciate any tips on what to look out for - be it technical, or brand or whatever.

I won't be dropping any huge heights at all. At least that I plan. Basically, I ride fire trails, and OK, some might be rough and steep, but I wouldn't call them serious downhill or jumpers or anything. More XC?

My current forks are supposedly 80mm. No preload. No adjustment. All my front suspension adjusment is done by lowering front tyre pressure. :lol:. For what I'm doing they feel OK, but fairly stiff. I've never noticed them bottom out, but I'd reckon if it was getting to that stage, I'd be more interested in holding on than what the forks were doing...

But my question is, with my limited budget, should I consider DJ forks, eg, with my cheapy options:
*Marzocchi DJ1 - or other DJ forks?
*vs say RockShox Recon Silver

Even if they were the same price, my instinct was to ignore any DJ forks as they were supposedly DJ designed and not 'all rounders'. Is that the case?

For the sort of price range that I'm looking at, and the lame way I ride, are there any classes of forks I should rule out (or in) ??

db

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's hard to beat the suntour epicon at around $200ish off ebay. It's pretty comparable to a recon air fork. You could also look at the manitou match fork for bit more. It's heavier and coil but the damping system is suppose to be pretty nice on that fork.

You could always look for a 1-2 year old used fork off pinkbike, ebay, cl, etc.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
That site has the minute expert for only $273 which is probably the best deal assuming you can swing the extra $25
Thats a good deal (and what I paid for mine this time last year), But it doesnt have V brake bosses, So OP, Only go with with the Minute expert if you have disc brakes

Edit: Never mind, thats the first Minute I have seen with bosses.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I Would rather have a Manitou over a used Fox(or any Fox for me) for the easy shim stack tuning and easy maintenance procedures. But thats just me.
Me too, I'd take a Manitou over a NEW Fox Fork...I've had two Vanilla forks and both never came close to the performance of my equivalent Manitou forks I've owned. And don't even get me started on Fox's "customer service".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.