Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a Fetish Fixation, can anyone reccomed a inexpensive SS specific crankset? Or should I go with a standard geared crankset and loose the two un-needed rings?

·
FIFI!
130 Posts
Cranman said:
I'm building a Fetish Fixation, can anyone reccomed a inexpensive SS specific crankset? Or should I go with a standard geared crankset and loose the two un-needed rings?
kind of depends on what kind of riding you do. i bought some race face cranks for a pretty low price and i bent them the day i got them. had i been a new wave run of the mill xcountry guy they would've been great (light weight, strength suffered because of it though). recently picked up some 3pc. bmx cranks, which can be had for GREAT deals on ebay if you dig a little. way under $100, euro bb, a bit heavier but i'd feel the need to buy myself a trophy if ever i bent these buggers.

just depends how you ride.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Use whatever crank you might have laying around. Fine some single ring chainring bolts like the BMX's use and your good to go. Even if you don't have an extra crankset I suggest going this route with the crank you need to buy. Its cheaper, more options and you'll end up with 2 new rings you can sell to some gearie out there.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i actually use tuvativ firex cranks (the cheapest one's they make i think) on my commuter SS and even after mashing a big gear up some steep hills day after day for 6+ months they are holding up just great....

what i'm trying to say is: if you want cheap (and don't care about the weight) any old cranks will do for the most part!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Surlydave said:
Use whatever crank you might have laying around.
Man, this line gets me every time. I realize some of you have piles of stuff laying around. Then again, this is one of those questions that, if you have to ask, chances are you don't have piles laying around. Why would he ask for a budget (not best) crankset if he had piles of parts? Why can't some of you realize that most of us do not have bike graveyards in our garages?

I mean really, are we all expected to have piles? That line gets thrown around all the time and it just bugs the snot out of me.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
24601 said:
Man, this line gets me every time. I realize some of you have piles of stuff laying around. Then again, this is one of those questions that, if you have to ask, chances are you don't have piles laying around. Why would he ask for a budget (not best) crankset if he had piles of parts? Why can't some of you realize that most of us do not have bike graveyards in our garages?

I mean really, are we all expected to have piles? That line gets thrown around all the time and it just bugs the snot out of me.
I have a pile....just not of bike parts...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Really I do have piles of parts laying around...but I see your point too. I think that most people who are into SS are into bikes in general, and it doens't take long to accumulate several bikes and more parts than one really needs.

But since I'm looking to build a "real" SS bike this time, and it actually has horiz. dropouts, i was hoping to find a SS specific crankset for decent money. I will probably rob some prts from the geared bike to get her on the road and then upgrade as time and money allow.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Somebody on the internet (supergo, jenson) had a killer deal on Truvativ Stylo SS cranks about a month ago, seems to me it was like $79, dunno if they're still available.

·
Rollin' a fatty
5,863 Posts
I used a set of RF Prodigy's that I had laying around but put them away when the BB went bad. Since then I've been using a Deore set that I got for my son and later rapled with shorter LXs.

I also saw the deal on the Stylo SS but didn't bothered.

·
Fixed and single.
336 Posts
Isis Noooooooo!

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy ISIS (ie, Stylo). I have a pair on my dedicated SS and only had the bottom bracket last 3 months. Yes it is installed correctly. ISIS BB's use thin needle bearings that are VERY prone to premature wear especially on a SS (high torque). If you can hack it, I would suggest a tapered Race Face BB and whatever cheap cranks that can get you started. Me $.02

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
How's this for cheap:
a) Pick up one of those Truvativ square taper OEM bottom brackets from Jenson for $7
b) Pick up a BMX crank arm set from AEBikes for about $20
c) Pick up a Salsa chainring from AEBikes for under $20

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
SpinWheelz said:
How's this for cheap:
a) Pick up one of those Truvativ square taper OEM bottom brackets from Jenson for $7
b) Pick up a BMX crank arm set from AEBikes for about $20
c) Pick up a Salsa chainring from AEBikes for under $20
Since you have brought BMX crank arms up, and I am pretty stupid when it comes to this stuff, what are the things to look for when trying this setup. For example, on my fixie the BB is a wierdo size and the crank armes, well I don't like them. I am also having trouble finding a 1/8th chainring for my cranks.

So, I have a square BB at home that fits the shell, could i use BMX cranks and a BMX chainring to solve this issue?

·
Sofa King We Todd Did
2,262 Posts
I had some extensive queries in this thread:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=86006

A lot of BMX cranks use chainwheels instead of chainrings. From the AEBikes site, I had my eye on a five-bolt crankarm set from FMF. Square taper, 110BCD - it would fit any standard MTB square taper bottom bracket and any standard 110BCD five-bolt chainring.

Some of the higher end (read: expensive) cranks and bottom brackets use an oversized square taper spindle, but for the $20 jobs, they're MTB compatible.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Spinwheelz, that sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'm still a noob when it comes to finding the best deals online and diferent options like the BMX cranks. I did actually order a cheap square taper BB this morining from Jenson thinking I might use a old crank set I have laying around. I'm checking AEbikes, I've never heard of them!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wow this is what I call budget

Went to AEbikes, picked up the FMF BMX cranks for $22, a Salsa 34T chainring for $19, New chainring bolts for $7 and a new PC-1 chain for $11 I think. Grand total with shipping right at $65 !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.