Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
wheelmanron
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Has anyone heard of the Weinmann HL 80 rim? I can't find any info anywhere except on the website. It is 80mm wide, and being a Weinmann I can't imagine it is very expensive. What do all of you think?

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Interesting. http://www.weinmann.com.cn/PRODUCTS/CHOPPER.htm

The hundie looks identical to the one I bought here,http://www.choppersus.com/store/category/3/71/Rims-Only/ and the 80mm's probably not too different from what's there either.

The choices with Weinmann are nice, though. There's a single-wall 80mm in 24" and 26" and a 100mm in 20", 24", and 26" (no 700c? :p), but the most interesting thing is the spoke hole choices; 28, 32, 36, and 48. Other numbers are confusing at best. What's 4.1/4? A fraction after a decimal...:skep:

With either of those rims you're going to have to drill half of the spoke holes to suit the Pugs' offset. Looking at those 80mm's you won't get to choose the location of the rest of the holes as there's a thicker part of the extrusion where the nipple seats. Ditto the hundie, really. The inner wall thickness fluctuates and there's a reinforcing wall in there.

Other than that it seems like a cool development. If you or your LBS are comfortable drilling out the rims, it would be a cool way to go. As far as where to buy them...search me.

I'm going to be drilling out my rims in the next few days and barring disaster I'll post a tutorial either here or over in the wheels forum. Having seen that rim profile on the weinmann website, I hope my new holes don't come out too close to the reinforcing walls within the rim. *crosses fingers*

·
Self-defeatist
965 Posts
Wow. I gotta thank you for your post. If I hadn't seen that rim profile on Weinmann's site I might have drilled right through those upright rim reinforcements. Now I can clearly see them through the existing spoke holes. Back to the drawing board.

C.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts