Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of these wheels from a member of facebook fat bike trader group. thought id do a review for anybody interested.

here is a link for them. they are listed with different name on jensonUSA and bikewagon. im pretty sure other websites carries them too.

Sunlite 26X4.0" DHL 101Fat Bike Wheelset > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

the Rims:
the newest Weinmann DHL101 in 36H Weinmann Metal Products Co., LTD
these are nice but heavy dual wall rims features triple I beam as center support. supposedly 1416g undrilled.

the hubs:
they are badged as Quanta/Origin8/wheelmaster . Components > Wheel Goods > Hubs | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
its made by Quando for sure. on the rear hub end caps it says Quando. also the origin8 rep at sea otter classic confirmed that as well.

the spokes:
black DT swiss 2.0 spokes with brass nipples

Front wheel with no skewer no rim tape> weight 4lbs 6.7oz = 2004g
Rear wheel with no skewer no rim tape> weight 4lbs 13.6oz= 2200g

overall, i think these are not bad wheels for the money. just needs to be drilled to save some weight. both front and rear hubs are sealed bearing, they would roll forever. rear hub engagement is 18pt. which is kind of disappointing, i was expecting at least 24pt.

ill post back any updates after drilling them

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Weights...

This reviewer of the FB4 Comp states its front wheel comes in at 2030g
This wheel is somewhat similar, a Weinmann DHL100, single row drilled. Though the hub is cup/cone.

I weighed my FB4 Elite's wheel, and it comes to 1701g without skewer or rotor. Just rim, hub, spokes, nipples.
It has two rows of drilled holes, and a sealed cartridge bearing that is similar if not identical to yours.

The DHL101 (1416g) raw rim that you have is rated at 163g lighter than the DHL100 (1579g). So I'm curious to see how light you can get it.

For further comparison, my new front wheel build, a single wall Origin8 AT-PRO-80 UL (drilled HL-80, 1030g raw), with that same cartridge bearing Or8 hub, comes in at 1418g (again, just rim, hub, spokes, nipples) Audio equipment Electronic device Technology Light Auto part

I'm going to be selling my DHL100 rim and lacing the hub to yet another AT-PRO-80 UL soon. The rear DHL80, I don't mind so much.

DHL100 stock wheel from FB4 Elite (plus some red trim)
Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw that was thinking of drilling them that way as well. Please post how it goes and any tips. It seems like a few of the holes and spoke placement are slighty off to be spaced exactly the same all the way around the rim.

·
Registered
234 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
holy **** man that's so awesome, thanks! They even ship to the uk for $20 OMG! When I get some cash in, I'm sooo gonna order me some!
EDIT: Their website is really hard to browse, do they have any cheap hubs to go along with the rims? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.