Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple threads about the cheap frames you can find at Nashbar, Performance, etc. but they were quite dated so I'm revisiting the topic based on current choices as of Spring 2014.

I have some older components that I would like to slap on a cheap hardtail frame for my dad to ride at the weekend cabin. This bike won't get much use and when it does, it will be light. PerformanceBike and Nashbar have options between $100-180. I'm also watching some Ebay auctions. Are there other sources I'm not considering? It appears Sette doesn't make the Reken anymore for Pricepoint. I have a mid-90s 63mm fork but I think I want this frame to accept something more modern (80-100mm).

My requirements:

- 26" wheels
- V-brake/disc or v-brake compatible
- rear rack mounts
- ability to take a 1 1/8" straight steer tube
- 18.5-19.5" frame size
- Preferably under $150
- prefer steel but open to anything that fits my needs

I will continue looking but appreciate any help!

Thanks!

·
Air Pirate
2,037 Posts
I had one of those Nashbar $100 frames, black aluminum. I built it into a drop-bar 26" full rigid bike. I got it when they had a sale that took it down to about $89 and also scored free shipping. Quite the deal. It served really well in what I used it for before I sold it last summer. The current listed frame appears to be the exact same frame I had, so this should be current info.

The frame had provision to run linear/canti brakes as well as disc. I paired it up with a Surly Instigator fork that was suspension corrected for 100mm after I tried an older Rock Shox Judy that was set at 80mm. With the shorter travel fork the handling was a bit squirrelly, the 100mm fork was where the frame felt the best.

I got the largest size they had, which was a 20 inch frame. It ended up fitting more like an 18", as it had a pretty small front triangle due to the short head-tube. All the frame sizes have the same head-tube, which I know makes it easier to manufacture but is absolute b.s. when you are trying to fit the bike correctly. I don't think all the frame sizes should run the same size head-tube, a compromise will happen somewhere when you are doing that crap. Because of the short head tube I had to run a lot of spacers with the length I kept the fork steerer tube.

If you are not worried about trying to wedge a 6'1" body onto this "runs small" frame then you will not have any trouble with it.

The frame takes a straight steerer-tube, not tapered, and it used traditional cups for the headset. It had rear rack braze-ons on the seatstays, and a two threaded holes on the dropouts to accommodate both rack and fenders, which I ran on the frame at one time.

2012-08-31 10.37.18.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments above but they do not inspire confidence. I'm 6'2" and my dad is 6' so the fit may not be the best. Perhaps I will hold out for something used and within budget. Thanks!

·
I like bikes.
309 Posts
Why not buy a complete bike from local paper CL? You can prob even pick up an alum frame late 90's bike for the price your looking for. Then you can just swap whatever components you have that's better.
Maybe thats too old, I don't know.

Right now by me there's a Specialized Hardrock for $175 complete....

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I'm only 5'6 but really enjoy the nashbar frame.. Probably not the best for tall people

Sent from my ME301T using Tapatalk

·
gobsmacked
8,757 Posts
So many nice options in the late 90s era of steel bikes in that price range. With the 1 1/8" requirement, you do miss out on some great steel bikes like old stumpys, ritcheys, etc. but you can probably find later era Ibis or salsa frames that have all of those things if you're patient as they held on longer in staying with steel and running rim brakes. Craigslist is where I would go. Hopefully you live somewhere not in the boondocks.

As for being tall, older frames were fitted larger so there's a lot of big older bikes out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts