Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have a Jones Diamond frame with unicrown fok last year and thought felt it was the best frame I ever had but sold it to help finance my move out of the country. I recently moved back and picked up a new Kona Unit to help fill the void although not a bad bike it just doesn't come close to my Jone's Diamond I would love to get another Jone's however, it's out of my budget.

I thought about getting a long 55 offset rigid fork with 135mm front spacing for the Unit to come closer to the Jones fork however, if I can find a relatively cheap alternative to the Jones with similar geo only cheaper it may be good alternative. Can anyone recommend a frame set that comes close to the Jones as far as performance and geometry at a more affordable price?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually considered the OS Blackbuck as it also has a solid ebb like the Jones with a longer offset rigid fork however, the steep angles are not to my liking

·
Registered
246 Posts
The first gen Salsa Fargo (not suspension corrected) has very similar geometry to the Jones. I had Waltworks make me a 135mm fork and I rode it that way for 6 months and it was a blast. I sold the Fargo to a friend and bought a diamond Jones with unicrown fork. I still have the Waltworks fork, my friend wasn't into the fat front thing ;-)

-mud

·
Registered
2019 Salsa Horsethief; Mone La Roca (V1)
845 Posts
To be honest, I don't think such a frame exists. I actually have spreadsheets that I've created over the last year or so to compare geometry of others to the Jones. Some frames have similar angles (70/72), or close to it, but are based around a 100mm or 120mm fork (Yeti Big Top). Countless others sit at 71/73 and could achieve 70/72 with a longer fork, but then again, you're losing an aspect of the design that is fundamental to the overall ride...the non-suspension corrected fork. The Fargo shares some similarities, but is radically different in other aspects.

As far as I know, the only way to get Jones geometry is to either buy a Jones, or go custom, neither of which seem to match your budget. I'm in the same boat :(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Perhaps there is no way around it however, I can add a Fatty fork with 55 offset and 135mm spacing and throw in a fat 29er tire to help come closer to the feel of the Jones on my new Kona Unit but prefer a lower bottom bracket and shorter fork like the Jones.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
You want my honest opinion? Any money you spend doing ANYTHING that is not towards the Jones will not make you happy. Ride your Kona and save for the Jones. Don't by another thing trying to get close to the Jones. The Jones is like $700 right? Don't waste money on anything else if that's what you really want, or it will be that much longer until you are really satisfied again. Keep your eye on the prize, and your head down until you get there.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I may have to do that as there is nothing out there outside of going custom that is designed like the Jones meaning non suspension corrected steel frame that is so dialed. I wonder why no one else has followed that recipe as there are more people that don't need or want the latest suspension tech with the added maintenance and price. As far as price for the Diamond last I checked it was around $850.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
You want my honest opinion? Any money you spend doing ANYTHING that is not towards the Jones will not make you happy...
Short of a custom, I agree. Jones is a great riding bike that is replicated by no other production bike. I had a Karate Monkey at the same time, and although they rode different, it was still fun. For a budget rigid, I think KM rides great.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I may have to do that as there is nothing out there outside of going custom that is designed like the Jones meaning non suspension corrected steel frame that is so dialed. I wonder why no one else has followed that recipe as there are more people that don't need or want the latest suspension tech with the added maintenance and price. As far as price for the Diamond last I checked it was around $850.
"More people" makes up just a fraction of the whole market. I have no riding buddies that can relate to my own philosophy of going without suspension (or gears.) Fat bikes have made up some ground in the rigid market, but still nowhere near the profit potential from producing what the mass audience wants.

Sounds like a few weeks of Ramen for dinner, eh? :D Will be worth it, though.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I think the Singular Gryphon is pretty similar to the Jones. But you should look at the geometries yourself. But again, money spent on anything else, keeps you that far from owning a Jones again...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just was comparing the geom. of my medium Fargo Gen. 1 (non susp. corrected) Fargo to current Jones geom.
Both have 18 inch seattube; same head angle, fork rake and length.
ETT is .5 inch shorter on Fargo
Jones has 72 deg seat tube, Fargo 73
Fargo has .4 inch more BB drop, an inch longer chainstays (?!) and 1.3 longer wheelbase.
I'm very happy with how the Fargo rides with drop bars, but have Jones fever. Wonder how different they'd feel. Jones needs a Portland dealer!

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think the Singular Gryphon is pretty similar to the Jones. But you should look at the geometries yourself. But again, money spent on anything else, keeps you that far from owning a Jones again...
Post bump, as these are the two bikes I am trying to choose between. Since JJ doesn't disclose exact geometry numbers, are you saying that these two are similar based on visual comparison?

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
I've had a Jones for 3 yrs now. I've test ridden a large number of other brands and a Karate Monkey is easily the most similar.
I've have a Fatfront Karate Monkey for three years now and have a Green Fargo converted to a commuter. Both are excellent bikes for rigid handling. Both have Jones H-bars.

That said, I've been riding a steel Space Frame since June and when I consulted Jeff about the bike his initial remarks were that the Fargo geometry is very close to the Space Frame and that the Kmonkey is close but not similar. I say it's all about the feel when riding it.

Now after 7 months on the spaceframe I can say the Jones does handle better than the other two and with a fat front it is my favorite choice for everyday trail riding and singletrack. My full suspension VT1 and Fox front-sus Mountain Cycle Rumble are continuing to gather dust.

I saved for years to buy the steel Space Frameset and don't regret it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
the_eleven, a Gryphon, Fargo or Stooge could be set up sort-of similar to a Jones in some ways but they won't have all of the aspects that combine to make the Jones design such a good package. Numbers are similar in places but different in others. That said, the Gryphon looks great as it is, what I mean is don't buy it thinking it's a Jones 'alternative'. It's simply a good bike in it's own right and it does have that higher front and nicely neutral steering thing so it's fair to be comparing the two.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Post bump, as these are the two bikes I am trying to choose between. Since JJ doesn't disclose exact geometry numbers, are you saying that these two are similar based on visual comparison?
The two helpful guys who commented above are right on the money. That being said, what do want this bike for? The Gryphon is more of a drop bar bike. That's not to say a flat bar wouldn't work, but it wasn't designed for it. Besides, the basic Jones frameset is only like $700. So not a lot more than the Gryphon. Get the one that suits your needs better. Both can be great bikes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts