Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty straightforward:
Building out a 29r SS Rigid which has V's on it but has disc compatible hubs and hangars.
Might just put disc on one wheel to save some loot.
I'm relatively new, so I apologize.
Have scanned this part of the forum pretty thoroughly to educate myself, watched some install videos.
Thus, I've got a handle on the brands, etc.
I'm 195 Lbs FWIW.
Any and all advice taken gratefully.
Hopefully something will pop on a deal-of-the-day site or the like, we shall see....
Thanks.
-P

·
err, 27.5+
4,921 Posts
$60-70 is about as good as you can do on new brakes of mid-upper level quality. Those hayes are a good deal. Of course my ElCamino's were a great deal too and they sucked ;). With SRAM suing them for patent infringement I am not overly excited about Hayes and have worries about future support. Not a big deal though if you plan to run them for 1-2 seasons and get rid of them.

Avid Juicy 5 are a good setup and can be snagged off ebay in new, with rotor/adapter, for cheap if you have time to wait for it. If you are in a rush they can be found many places for $80/set.

·
Registered
162 Posts
My .02
Pricepoint has the Hayes FX 9's for 49.00 per wheel to include disk, lever, lines, mstr cyl. The whole deal for 49.00. Absolutely can't be beat IMO. They will stop a heavy bike w/a 180# rider pretty well, I know because I just installed them on a back up bike for me. Are they like my Juicy &'s w/a 203mm fnt, and a 185 rear. Nope! Not even close. But...will they sling your arse over the bars with enough lever pull.....you bet they will, and did I say....under 100.00 for both wheels, disks, and levers, mstr cyl, lines, everything ready to go. Can't be beat (for the money).
YZF571

·
Registered
464 Posts
Personally, with those deals I'd go with either the XTs or the Trails. I've used both and although I prefer the XTs (better lever feel and better pads) the Trails are not a bad brake either. They just require a little more time than the XTs to setup.

how are these compared to the juicy 7...
I found that the J7s were more powerful than the Trails (both 180mm) but the Trails had the better modulation so could make better use of the power. The J7s were very on/off and I didn't get on with this so I changed to Magura Louise BATs which are way better than both IMO.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
There are some really good deals going right now (2 were mentioned above already), but here's another one I'll throw out just to have options. $49 each, complete. These came stock on my AM bike and I like 'em. No problems.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR289C00-Tektro+Auriga+Hydraulic+Disc+Brake+Oe.aspx

Last year these were on sale for $29 !!! I wish I had bought a bunch just to have around. I keep watching to see if they drop them down again.

·
Registered
154 Posts
fightnut said:
There are some really good deals going right now (2 were mentioned above already), but here's another one I'll throw out just to have options. $49 each, complete. These came stock on my AM bike and I like 'em. No problems.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR289C00-Tektro+Auriga+Hydraulic+Disc+Brake+Oe.aspx

Last year these were on sale for $29 !!! I wish I had bought a bunch just to have around. I keep watching to see if they drop them down again.
if you wanna get something this cheap just get bb7's cause they will be better than these.

·
Registered
154 Posts
fightnut said:
Well, I suppose readers could listen to this guy who has likely never owned them, or they could listen to someone who actually has personal experience with them.

Ugh, it gets old :rolleyes:
And what other brakes do you have experience with? i have extensive experience with those brakes and they aren't anything worth discussing and i suppose the only way you wouldn't know that is if you had never tried anything any better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.