Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about ditching my Anthem 2 for a hardtail for the upcoming season in FL (long story as to why).

I've always been a fan of Giant bikes so naturally I'm gravitating towards the Giant XTC Alliance. The frame seems fantastic but the components seem a bit heavy and/or low end. Nothing I couldn't easily upgrade down the road.

Are there any other entry-level XC comp hardtails out there that I should be looking at? I'd like to keep it under $1500. The bike must have a frame that is light, durable, and be built by a manufacturer with a history of excellent customer service.

I appreciate your input.
 

·
wants a taco
Joined
·
498 Posts
im with your first choice, id get the alliance and once you can build up a nice lightweight race wheelset and you would be in pretty good shape. Or if you dont have to sell the anthem before buying the new bike, swap the fork/wheelset on your anthem to the alliance. Not sure if you have seen one yet but that alliance frame is freakin sexy.

good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The only thing that worries me about the XTC frame are the carbon bits. I have a couple knicks/scratches on my Anthem that are no issue with aluminum, but may cause some issues with carbon. Aside from racing the bike will see recreational riding which increases the chances of doing something which could compromise the frame. Is this something I should worry about?


I'm half tempted to build up a Redline Flight 29er frame. We have quite a bit of rooty technical crap down here in FL and those big wheels roll over everything without losing a bit of momentum...which may work to my advantage on race day. Plus I feel so much more confident on a 29er for some reason.
 

·
wants a taco
Joined
·
498 Posts
A1an said:
The only thing that worries me about the XTC frame are the carbon bits. I have a couple knicks/scratches on my Anthem that are no issue with aluminum, but may cause some issues with carbon. Aside from racing the bike will see recreational riding which increases the chances of doing something which could compromise the frame. Is this something I should worry about?

I'm half tempted to build up a Redline Flight 29er frame. We have quite a bit of rooty technical crap down here in FL and those big wheels roll over everything without losing a bit of momentum...which may work to my advantage on race day. Plus I feel so much more confident on a 29er for some reason.
I wouldnt worry too much about the carbon bits. we;ve got a few customers riding their alliances pretty hard and ive yet to hear of a frame failure.

Personally 29'ers feel slow and unresponsive to me but if you feel better on one id go that route cause they will roll over roots a bit quicker. Id check out the felt nine comp and elite too if you go the 29'er route, their some damn nice bikes for the money.
 

·
No longer 26
Joined
·
3,090 Posts
Go with the Redline 29er with a good wheelset and tires. Nothing better for rooty rocky racing imho.
G
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,608 Posts
A1an said:
I'm half tempted to build up a Redline Flight 29er frame. We have quite a bit of rooty technical crap down here in FL and those big wheels roll over everything without losing a bit of momentum...which may work to my advantage on race day. Plus I feel so much more confident on a 29er for some reason.
There you go. That would be my suggestion.:thumbsup: Not sure of your weight, but I would go with a lighter weight racing wheelset and have at it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well money may end up being an issue here, so I'm thinking about stripping the Anthem and swapping everything over to a new frame.

I went to my LBS to price out XTC frames. $900 for the aluminum or $1400 for the Alliance. Both include the cost of swapping everything over from the Anthem frame onto the XTC. Seems steep, but at least I could recoop some of the loss by selling my frame (although I have no idea how much I could sell a used Anthem 2 frame for). Sadly, Giant lists the retail price for an XTC Alliance at $1400. So I could just buy the complete bike, swap out my REBA fork and wheelset from the Anthem, then sell the slightly downgraded Anthem.

Is there any chance in hell that I could find a light, strong frame for $500 or less?

As far as the Redline goes...the D660 29er would be perfect (1x9 with the REBA fork and a relatively light wheelset). All that for around $1300. Not too bad in my opinion. I don't think I could spec out my current Monocog with those components at that price.
 

·
wants a taco
Joined
·
498 Posts
I like the idea of buying the alliance frame and swapping your fork/wheelset, its a whole lot easier to sell a complete bike than just a frame from my experience. Actually thats exactly what i did when i went from a NRS to a trance and it worked out awesome for me.

If you end up wanting just a new frame only check out the soma groove. I THINK it retails for around $500 and any shop that orders through qbp can get it. Its a butted cromo frame and they claim it weights 4.25 lbs which isnt super light but at that price respectable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
A1an said:
Well money may end up being an issue here, so I'm thinking about stripping the Anthem and swapping everything over to a new frame.

I went to my LBS to price out XTC frames. $900 for the aluminum or $1400 for the Alliance. Both include the cost of swapping everything over from the Anthem frame onto the XTC. Seems steep, but at least I could recoop some of the loss by selling my frame (although I have no idea how much I could sell a used Anthem 2 frame for). Sadly, Giant lists the retail price for an XTC Alliance at $1400. So I could just buy the complete bike, swap out my REBA fork and wheelset from the Anthem, then sell the slightly downgraded Anthem.

Is there any chance in hell that I could find a light, strong frame for $500 or less?

As far as the Redline goes...the D660 29er would be perfect (1x9 with the REBA fork and a relatively light wheelset). All that for around $1300. Not too bad in my opinion. I don't think I could spec out my current Monocog with those components at that price.
there are usually XTCs on fleabay for under 500 new, pick one up and move the parts over.
FWIW my hardtail is a trek 8000 , pretty nice frame but I ride the /race the FS more
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really dig that Marin frame and I remember reading that write-up in MBA. Definately a frame to consider.


One other idea I am tossing around...buying an XTC2 for under $700. I would swap over my 80mm REBA, lighter wheelset, lighter post w/seat, and cranks. All the new XTC2 components could go over on my Anthem and I could hope to sell that as a complete bike and perhaps break even. Could make for a fun/cheap weekend racer. Any opinions on this idea? I'm having one hell of a time finding any info on the new XTC aluminum frames and if anyone is still running them. Seems like they had a large following back in the day but have lost popularity after the Anthem took center stage as Giant's preferred XC comp rig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After much research and bean counting I have made a decision to remedy my current situation. I ended up ordering an XTC 1 (XL aluminum frame). No XTC 2's with the XL frame could be found anywhere in the US and the Alliance is just out of my price range right now.

I'm swapping over the fork, crankset, BB, wheelset/tires, and seat post from the Anthem. All the XTC parts will go back on the Anthem and I'm going to cross my fingers for a fast sale.

I figure this was the best/cheapest route for me to go at this point. The first race of the FSC season in FL starts Sept so I needed as much time as possible to get accustomed to the new bike.

Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
skim1040 said:
You racing the goneriding series?
Yes. I'll be running in the beginner or novice or whatever the newbs run (the first race in September will only be my third event that I've participated in).

Any ideas where the races are this season? Goneriding.com hasn't updated their schedule yet and I'd like to start booking hotels and whatnot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
556 Posts
i ride a bmc, but if i didn't have any kind of hookup whatsoever and needed a light, budget xc hardtail, i would prolly go the bikesdirect route. for the money, they seem pretty hard to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,326 Posts
Broseph said:
i ride a bmc, but if i didn't have any kind of hookup whatsoever and needed a light, budget xc hardtail, i would prolly go the bikesdirect route. for the money, they seem pretty hard to beat.
Thanks
and the ligthest fastest hardtail you can get under $1500 right now is the FLY PRO
under 22 lbs

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_pro_09.htm

Except the FLY 9357 - which is under 21 lbs http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fly_9357_07instocknow.htm

My wife races in Florida and won the latest reginal adventure bike races on a Fly
and at that race there are about 40 teams; over 100 bikes; most brands here
and the first two teams to finish were on Flys

of course, brand of bike does not make the rider/racer
however, it does not hurt to be on a sub 22 lb hardtail
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top