Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be, in your opinions, pros and cons of picking up a discontinued SB4.5 at a more budget friendly price opposed to going all out for a 100/130?

Would you be adamantly against saving $1,500 and going with an 4.5 over paying MSRP for a 100/130?

What are the cons of getting the 4.5 vs a newer model?

Any advice appreciated. Obviously, fit and feel are huge, but what other factors are there to consider before pulling the trigger?

·
Registered
3,893 Posts
Owning a sb45 and having ridden both sb100/130. I wouldnt sell my sb45c for 100/130 unless I got tired of it.

Yes both new bikes climb a bit better and decend a bit better..

With the money savings on a sb45c you can work on the fork, shock and wheels. And narrow the performance gap.

Also to consider since you mention 100/130 is a deal on sb55c...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Any advice appreciated. Obviously, fit and feel are huge, but what other factors are there to consider before pulling the trigger?
4.5 is a good bike if you don't mind the oldschool slack STA, short reach and long seat tube. Personally I'd go for the newer frame even if it means compromising on the spec; parts and components wear out and get replaced and can be upgraded over time as your budget allows, but the frame is the heart and soul of the bike really.

How long do you intend to hang onto the bikes for? The 4.5's geo is starting to look pretty dated already, 3-4 years time it may feel ancient. Some people don't care as long as they're happy riding it, others do...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How long do you intend to hang onto the bikes for? The 4.5's geo is starting to look pretty dated already, 3-4 years time it may feel ancient. Some people don't care as long as they're happy riding it, others do...
All good points, thanks for both responses so far. I have had my Scott Scale 970 for about six years, which coincides really when I started Mountain Biking. So, I don't think I will be upgrading again anytime soon.

The geometry I'm coming from is extremely dated, so the 4.5 would be like a new born baby to me really, but not with all the bells and whistles of a really brand spanking new baby...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got a 2018 SB4.5 earlier this year. I love it. Of course, I rode a rigid fat bike all last summer as my former full-suspension bike was stolen one snowy March night. The 4.5 climbs great, descends better and is all all-around blast. I ride bikes 5-6 years, so I don't have to worry about trade-in value. I'll predict being happy on this bike for years.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does anyone pay full MSRP for bikes? Go in to a different bike store, tell them you want a 100/130 but like the price of the sb45 you saw better and ask if the can get you a deal. Pretty much every bike store I've ever been in will work with you if you ask.

·
Freezer
586 Posts
I built up a SB4.5 frame last summer after taking a pass on building an SB130 frame because I wanted a light climber that was a capable descender. It's 25.5lb and has a Works angleset which slacks the HA to 66.4 degrees. I call it a cheater bike because it climbs like a rocket and is a great descender in anything other than big chunk. I tried the SB130 but found the cockpit to be pretty cramped for the appropriate reach.

Reactions: Xizor1

·
Registered
541 Posts
I ended up with a SB100 GX. But I love the geo of the new-school bikes. I considered the 4.5, The Ripley V3, the Tallboy, and the Blur (non TR). Have you ridden any of the bikes?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you ridden any of the bikes?
I have ridden an SB95 extensively and loved it minus my fingers going numb during sleep the nights after, and later, rides.

I have also demo'd other non Yeti Bikes, RM Element and Instinct new versions and a Norco Sight. And a Scott Spark which I liked quite a bit and didn't cause the numbness. All others besides the Scott did the same to my fingers, it may be the newer geometry and pressure on my hands. I am going to demo an SB100 this week and a SC 5010. But can't demo an SB4.5 around Boise anywhere.

I may have to play it safe and go with the Scott, but would really like to love the Yeti 4.5.

·
The White Jeff W
5,712 Posts
I got a 2018 SB4.5 earlier this year. I love it. Of course, I rode a rigid fat bike all last summer as my former full-suspension bike was stolen one snowy March night. The 4.5 climbs great, descends better and is all all-around blast. I ride bikes 5-6 years, so I don't have to worry about trade-in value. I'll predict being happy on this bike for years.
Ha similar story to mine. I lost my job last year and sold my Transition Scout to cover some bills. I rode my rigid fat bike all summer before picking up a used 4.5 in the fall. Love it so far.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Because of my short legs, I didn't want any Yeti (all had long seat tubes) until the new SB130/SB150 where announced. I guess if the SB4.5 fits you and you can deal with having the older model (which is only going to get older much more quickly), and deal with knowing you have slightly less performance, then go for it. Personally, I'd save for the new model as it is likely to stay relevant for much longer and it will likely be much longer before you feel the need to upgrade (possibly working out cheaper in the long run?).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I sold my 4.5 for a 130 mainly to maximize resale value while I could. The 4.5 is a great all around bike that isnt likely to ever hold you back unkess you get real serious about XC or hardcore enduro. If ease of resale and maximum $ recovery arent a concern I'd get the discounted 4.5. I love my 130 and its much more a beast going down, but there is absolutely nothing not to love about the 4.5 if the fit suits you and you want a do it all bike.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i was in the same situation on getting a heavily discounted 4.5 or a higher price sb100 . I demo both bikes twice for full weekend rides and although the 4.5 is a great bike the sb100 just does everything better .
Went with a custom build sb100 which made the gap in performance even greater

·
Registered
116 Posts
I built up a SB4.5 frame last summer after taking a pass on building an SB130 frame because I wanted a light climber that was a capable descender. It's 25.5lb and has a Works angleset which slacks the HA to 66.4 degrees. I call it a cheater bike because it climbs like a rocket and is a great descender in anything other than big chunk. I tried the SB130 but found the cockpit to be pretty cramped for the appropriate reach.
Do you have a 150mm fork with the angleset or 140mm? If the latter, do you notice the slight bottom bracket drop in a negative way?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
What size did you ride ? The reach has been extended on all models

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thanks again mlloyd007 for the help selecting the correct angleset! Indeed I can now confirm that -1 angleset (Works Components) is a great upgrade for the SB4.5.

Descending and ascending are better and I did not notice anything negative regarding the slight drop in BB and increase of wheelbase.

Makes a great bike even better :)

·
Freezer
586 Posts
Thanks again mlloyd007 for the help selecting the correct angleset! Indeed I can now confirm that -1 angleset (Works Components) is a great upgrade for the SB4.5.

Descending and ascending are better and I did not notice anything negative regarding the slight drop in BB and increase of wheelbase.

Makes a great bike even better :)
Awesome! Glad to hear you like the mod. Ride on!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.