Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddies are ponying up spare parts and a frame to help an old friend get back into riding. We pretty much have everything covered except for the fork. Would love to say that we are all wealthy, but the fact of the matter is that we all have families, mortgages, budgets, etc. we have about 150.00 or so to spend on a 150mm fork---which thru the magic off ebay, puts us in the running for a Manitou Stance, a Nixon, or a Marzocchi Drop Off. Looking for what you guys would do. The new/old bike will see trail riding, dirt jumping and some moderate drops---we live in the midwest so no mountains, but some nice north shore stuff. any input would be greatly appreciated, steve

·
Registered
107 Posts
GT Avalanch 2 RST Gila plus fork

Here is a question...Is it possible to swap a RST gila fork on a GT Avalanche 2 with a new Rock SHOX Tora 302?? I would be grateful if someone can advise, I have an opportunity to grab the tora at a good price,,,Thanx

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
ripper1 said:
Here is a question...Is it possible to swap a RST gila fork on a GT Avalanche 2 with a new Rock SHOX Tora 302?? I would be grateful if someone can advise, I have an opportunity to grab the tora at a good price,,,Thanx
dont be jacking threads man...not cool

but i might be selling my dj pro for 150-200 $ in a couple of weeks, shoot me a pm if your interested

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've had good luck with Marzo Drop-Offs. I know everyone says they suck, but if you get it tuned up with the right springs and oil weight/height, it works pretty well. From what I've read on here, the Manitou would probably be a better fork but less reliable. My drop offs have all worked perfectly the whole time I've used em.

·
Brackish
1,855 Posts
Depends on which Stance: I had a Stance Flow for about a year that worked great and would be perfect for your buddy, but the Stance Kingpin is a dangerous toy that shouldn't even be on a K-mart bike.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Look for a used Dirt Jumper. I actually have a DJII for $100 but my buddy is buying it.

But I'm sure plenty of similar deals are around

·
Administrator
11,880 Posts
I too would second the Drop-Off. The nice thing about marzocchis are that they are generally rebuildable with no special tools or skills. Plus they seem to last a long time, although they are also shipped from the factory many times with odd oil levels. Still very reliable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.