Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a new wheelset and fork upgrade for my bike, a Scott Scale 970.

Problem is, it is hard to find a decent fork with a straight 1 1/8" steerer. The OEM Suntour XCR RL-R fork is decent but a tank and lacks adjustment. Looking for some input on better budget shocks compatible with this bike. Axle type isn't a big deal since I can specify that on the new wheelset.

If I can find a better shock for up to about $300 it is probably worth upgrading the bike as it suits my needs otherwise.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
What year is your bike that it still requires a straight steerer 1 1/8??? Most modern bikes for at least the last 10yrs have moved over to tapered headtubes.

One thing you could do if it truly is a straight steerer is use the SR Suntour upgrade program to grab an Epixon or Raidon which are both known as good XC/Trail forks. Past that the only other companies that I can think of that MAY make a straight steerer fork are Manitou (think the Machete is) and X-Fusion (believe the Loop).

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

Looked at the Suntour Upgrade site and see the EPIXON 9 RL R 27.5/29" for $319.95 USD. I didn't realize that I still qualified for this upgrade.

Seems a fair deal to me, substantially lighter and seemingly more adjustable than the current fork. Seems to be about on par with the Rockshox Recon?

Any reasons one would be better than the other?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bear with me hear but the last suspension fork I had prior to this Suntour was an OLD Rockshox Judy with the elastomers. So, I suppose I'm a noob when it comes to suspension.

So, if a bike comes with a 100mm travel fork from the factory, are there any benefits/drawbacks to getting a fork with more travel? So far, I've confined my search to 100-120mm forks.

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Better bet than those would be to pick up an older fork like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/MANITOU-MA...681890&hash=item546c1c2d35:g:wngAAOSw-wJaL6j5

Has more and better adjustability, damping, etc.

As for changing the travel, well that really depends on the bike. Some bike mfg. build the bike for a range of travel with a maximum number, something that can only be verified on their site. However, the biggest drawback of "overforking" your bike is that it will change the geometry. This can lead to many different things, variables and feelings while riding.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So, if a bike comes with a 100mm travel fork from the factory, are there any benefits/drawbacks to getting a fork with more travel? So far, I've confined my search to 100-120mm forks.
I have a 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.6 that came with a boost Recon 29" 100mm. I'm not wild about the fork so chatted directly with Trek regarding replacing with a Fox Step-Cast 34 120mm fork. Trek said it would void my warranty, and from a performance point recommended staying with 100mm.

That said I changed my 2014 Santa Cruz 5010 from a 130mm Fox float 32 to a Pike dual 130/160 with no issues. LBS said don't worry about the warranty, they would take care of me. Manufacturer's take the conservative approach....

·
Registered
2018 Trek Stache
1,517 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.