Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to shave a little from my incoming bike and am going to be getting all my lightweight stuff used and from Ebay. I am going to replace my bars, stem, seatpost and fork. I have already narrowed some of my search down and am going with the SLR saddle and a Manitou Mars. What is everyone's general consensus for stem, post and bars? I noticed a large following towards the Easton carbon bars and was thinking about those, any other recomendations?

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
LetsGoOutside said:
I am looking to shave a little from my incoming bike and am going to be getting all my lightweight stuff used and from Ebay. I am going to replace my bars, stem, seatpost and fork. I have already narrowed some of my search down and am going with the SLR saddle and a Manitou Mars. What is everyone's general consensus for stem, post and bars? I noticed a large following towards the Easton carbon bars and was thinking about those, any other recomendations?
Sounds like a good plan. Just don't buy used carbon products. Maxm makes good handlebars. Even cheaper are the Forte carbon bars from Performance, only a hair heavier. I just bought a Forte carbon riser for my backup bike. If you can get a Noleen Mega Air fork on Ebay, do it. Best truly lightweight fork out there. Budget lightweight stem recommendation would have been a Pazzaz from Jenson, but they aren't selling them anymore. Try the Sette from Pricepoint.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about using a road post? It looks like I could save a ton of weight by using a less expensive carbon road post. I am a relatively light rider (135 lbs.) and have never done much damage to any of my parts.

·
Alright, let's ride!
1,472 Posts
On the road post be sure to check the post length. A lot of the road posts are pretty short, which would explain why they are so much lighter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
the sette edge from pricepoint is light and inexpensive. I used 4 ti bolts and even made it lighter. I've been riding with it 4x's a week for the last year and a half with no problems. I weigh in at 145lbs. my buddy is 180lbs with the same stem and no problems.

my .02

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about Syntace stems? They seem to be uber-affordable on Ebay and weigh next to nothing (99gs).

Also what's an ideal weight for a bar? I saw tthe ec70 flat runs 125 and performance has a bar that runs 135. Are these still relativley midrange or does it get an incredible amount lower than that?

·
Singletrack Snob
263 Posts
LetsGoOutside said:
How about Syntace stems? They seem to be uber-affordable on Ebay and weigh next to nothing (99gs).

Also what's an ideal weight for a bar? I saw tthe ec70 flat runs 125 and performance has a bar that runs 135. Are these still relativley midrange or does it get an incredible amount lower than that?
125 gm sounds pretty light to me for a bar. The light alum bars were in the 145 gm range (Easton EA70).

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
LetsGoOutside said:

The Syntace F99 is a great stem, but I've never really considered them a budget stem at upwards of $70. If you can get one significantly cheaper than that, grab it. My 120 mm weighs 103 g's with ti bolts.

My Maxm MX-1 carbon bar weighs 122 grams (claimed 115). Anything in that range is pretty good. You can pick up EC90 bars (>100 grams) pretty cheap right now, but they are narrower and you can't use bar ends.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great replies. I have seen some of the F99 stems going for around $50 on Ebay. The bar looks like it might be the performance flat bar. Post is where I am still missing it, I might pony up the extra $ and get an Alien off of Ebay. The SLR looks as it is the only for sure part in my build, now that I am looking for a Noleen or Mars.

Is something around 180gs considered light for a post?

Either way I have time, I am going to accumilate all the parts then bolt them all up before next XC season starts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts