Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the result of my quest to build a somewhat light hardtail with decent components on a poorboy's budget. I went with a Sette Reken frame, since the penny pincher in me couldn't pass up a $69 deal from Pricepoint:

Frame: Sette Reken- $69
Wheels: WTB Speedisc- $59
Fork: Manitou Splice Super- $49
Brakes: Hayes Sole hydraulic- $25 used
Headset: FSA Orbit XLII- $49
Stem: Race Face Deus- $30 used
Bar: Specialized S-Works carbon fiber- $35 used
Seatpost: Guizzo carbon fiber- $49
Saddle: Sette race titanium: $25
Seatpost clamp: KCNC- $14
Shifter: XT- $49
Rear derailleur: XTR- $35 used
Cassette: XTR- free from a friend
Cranks: Redline single speed- $30 used (being replaced with Truvativ Stylo)
Bottom bracket: Race Face SRX- $25
Pedals: Time ATAC- $20, used (not shown in photo)
Grips: Sette- $4
Tires: Bontrager front, WTB Weirwolf rear- $5 used
Chain: Shimano- $18
Chain guide: Jumpstop- $10

So I have about $600 into it so far. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the results. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a better fork, but I'm pretty satisfied with the rest of the bike. The frame was the biggest suprise of all, turned out to be quite the bargain. Very good quaility, a great XC frame for singletrack and technical trails.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

·
Out there
2,298 Posts
Nice looking bike! Bet it looks sharper with the ATACs...

I was tempted to do something similar and build a SS with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pinkheadedbug said:
Nice looking bike! Bet it looks sharper with the ATACs...

I was tempted to do something similar and build a SS with it.
Well, the Reken frame is back up to $99 at Pricepoint. I just ordered a Fetish Fixation to build a SS. The fixation is $99 directly from Fetish, so I couldn't pass it up. Horizontal dropouts plus a deailleur hanger if you want t go multi. I'll post some pics of that one when it's finished too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Brown_Teeth said:
Dump that POS saddle causeon extreme climbs it might poke you where it takes months to heal!
I actually really like the saddle. I also have a Selle Italia SLR XP, and the Sette is basically a replica of the SLR. The Sette is 30 grams heavier than the SLR, but it's also $100 less, and to be honest, my butt can't tell the difference.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
willis.4 said:
Great looking bike for only 600 can't really beat that, wish I coulda kept my budget build around that, but I guess its no longer a budget build. Enjoy it.
thats the same thing I am saying. I wish I knew about sette Products before I bought my frame. Would have saved me a ton.

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
I tried 3 different saddles before I picked 1 that I liked for my build. Ended up with the WTB Pure V, has a little more cushion then the Sette but I did consider the Sette aswell.
It is all a matter of prsonal preference.

·
Registered
832 Posts
apex134 said:
I actually really like the saddle. I also have a Selle Italia SLR XP, and the Sette is basically a replica of the SLR. The Sette is 30 grams heavier than the SLR, but it's also $100 less, and to be honest, my butt can't tell the difference.
Every butt is different. I hated the Sette, the rails enter the saddle base right where my sit bones are, thus the saddle had 0 give for me. Tried it at a long race as my Flite was bent, came home with 2 bleeding saddle sores! :eek:

If you compare it with an SLR you'll notice that the rails enter the base much further back on the SLR, likely making it more comforable for many,

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
That's a helluva build for the small bit of coin you dropped. Looks sharp, too.

I hope the fork works out for you (I don't know much about the Splice), but there are plenty of deals to be found should you have to replace it. Congrats and happy trails.

Ant

·
Got Trails?
680 Posts
Jensonusa.com or pricepoint.com have great deals & reasonable shipping charges. You may also check out Ebay for some great deals on forks, god knows I built my "budget bike" there.:thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.