Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Kona hoss is like $900 or something??

If he doesn't care about weight, try a Hardrock or something, cus that is probably really durable for his size?

Or find a used steel hardtail, which won't fail like alu.

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
taikuodo said:
Kona hoss is like $900 or something??

If he doesn't care about weight, try a Hardrock or something, cus that is probably really durable for his size?

Or find a used steel hardtail, which won't fail like alu.
look above, I said used :p

the hardrocks wont really support his weight. they arent made for big riders. they have crappy flexy poorly made RST gila forks on them. not to mention the pedals and cranks couldent support a big person. if I'm pushing the components limits at 160 pounds, this guy will rape that bike.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
oops, didn't see that.
Well, I can't really imagine 400 lbs.
I weigh 130, so that guy is 3 times the size of me and probably applies 3 times the force onto a bike, i think if F = ma.

Used is going to be the only way to go then, I don't know what constitutes a good bike for a clyde, mabye a DH bike for XC riding? Just joking.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
oxymoron

"budget bike" and "big man" just don't go together. To complicate things, 400 lbs is going to be excessive for almost any bike.

Todd's suggestion is probably the best, but even a used Hoss is going to moan a bit with 400 lbs in the saddle. I think it's designed with the 250-275lb rider in mind.

Bob

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a total noob, but almost in the same boat, I'm 6'1", 300 lbs. and dropping

I am seriously looking at a Giant Yukon. It will be a little more than $400, probably $500, but I was inspired by the story at http://fatmancycling.com/

where the guy rode a Yukon cross-country (almost).

I plan to commute a couple of days a week on dirt roads and try some of the easy trails near me as I continue to lose tonnage.

Chuck

·
Registered
43 Posts
kimguroo said:
someone asked me about mountain bike and he is 5' 7" and 400 lb.
He only can spend $400. can anyone recommend a bike for a big guy?
I hope you're kidding. 5'7 and 400 lbs? He doesn't need to be mountain biking right now. He needs to be WALKING and losing about 200 lbs before he even THINKS about getting on any kind of bike. His center of balance would be way off and he would get seriously injured. His cardiovascular system is probably working hard enough just to keep him alive. Any bike would be hard pressed to survive very long even if he could stay on it very long. He would probably needs special tires, double reinforced frame, etc. etc. I just don't see this as a possibility for him until he loses weight (especially for his height). I recommend a large stationary bike and him turning on the Nature channel in front of the bike.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ChuckHubbert said:
I'm a total noob, but almost in the same boat, I'm 6'1", 300 lbs. and dropping

I am seriously looking at a Giant Yukon. It will be a little more than $400, probably $500, but I was inspired by the story at http://fatmancycling.com/

where the guy rode a Yukon cross-country (almost).

I plan to commute a couple of days a week on dirt roads and try some of the easy trails near me as I continue to lose tonnage.

Chuck
At 6'1, 300 lbs...you are nowhere NEAR in the same boat as a guy who is 5'7, 400 lbs. You could lose 50 lbs in no time by working out and be at a normal weight if you're somewhat in shape. So definitely...you're not in the same boat. The 400 lbs. guy has a serious problem and needs to lose a lot of weight for his height before he even TRIES this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.