Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fixing up friend's mtb, it's a few years old. Currently has 2300g 26er disc setup and we're looking for a budget, reliable 9mm/135QR set in the 1800g range for less than $200. Strictly beginner-intermediate xc singletrack, she's a lightweight rider with no aggro DH delusions.

Maybe you have a better option. Again, must be 26er, disc, 9mm front and traditional QR rear.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 120 26"
2,276 Posts
Hard pressed to find anything new under $200 and under 1800g. Not a fan of factory wheels, but the Mavic Crossone at $229 and 1885g is about as close as I can think of.

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 120 26"
2,276 Posts
Crossride is listed at 1815g...I'm sure sans skewers and rims strips.

There just aren't a lot of options even if you build yourself with $200 unless there is some mega blowout on a wheelset.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
You may be able to find something like WTB hubs mounted to mavic 317 or 717. I know mine were under 1800 grams. You cannot beat those rims. Personally, I would search ebay to get more bang for my buck. Just find a set that looks lightly used.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea. Most of the budget wheels are spec'd with heavy rims in addition to heavy, well, everything else. I'll check eBay for the 317/717 and hubs that aren't tanks.

You may be able to find something like WTB hubs mounted to mavic 317 or 717. I know mine were under 1800 grams. You cannot beat those rims. Personally, I would search ebay to get more bang for my buck. Just find a set that looks lightly used.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.