Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the Pike the only budget AM type thru axle option I have? I need around 130mm travel, 32mm+ stanchions, air or coil, 20mm thru axle, less than $500 new. (Looking idealy between $350 and $400 knowing that NOS or used is what I'm going to find).

What options am I missing here, folks?

Bob

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pike is a great choice. HOwever, the 07 pikes start at 590$. FOr nearly 600$ you can find a lot of other options. HOwever, some will be year old models. Depending upon your riding you can find Manitou Nixons with the TA option or Travis SCs. Don't even have to look for an old Z1. The sport version of the 07 is 325$ while the RC2 is 595$. A fox 36 is probably a pipe dream but you never know what ebay may hold. Having options in 3 of the 4 brands isn't bad.

But as noted, expect to have to order these online. Certainly from your LBS only a few of the options will exist.

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
deoreo said:
07 Rockshox Pike 426 95-140mm U-turn coil. for $395 new.

Here:
http://www.bikerbob.com/

Look in the specials and closeouts section.

I got one from here, and it's sweet!
That is a good deal!! Good work.

I was going to throw in my vote on the Nixons since I have been using one on and off for a little while now. It is a great fork and the TPC+ (or TPC depending on year) is a very nice setup. I picked up my '06 20mm Nixon from Jenson for $250, but I think those are all gone and now they only have the '05 which is still a good deal.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great suggestions

Thanks folks. Keep 'em coming. Just checked Price Point and the '05 Nixon Super IT is $230 through today. Great deal.

Bob

·
No Gansta Lean here.
1,030 Posts
Marz retro release. Z1 Sport RV

Older tech I guess. But they were always like butta'.
$370.00 at Speedgoat.

It's what I may get to build a new "budget" FS rig. (at $3500.00 for the build on paper already so I don't know how "budget" it will be...)

But, I'm on an old school classic hardtail rig right now. So, I figure, from the old Z-2 fork that I'm riding now...ANYTHING is going to feel great! More travel, and I haven't ridden any of the new "wonder" forks. I won't know what I may (or may not) be missing!

As far as the lack of adjustment and bells and whistles on the Z1 Sport RV, ....
I'm kind of a set it, forget it, and ride kind of guy anyway!
Plus, it's in my fave part color of basic black!
The older that I get, the less I seem to be into "bling" and just concentrate on getting out to ride as often as I can...period!
Good luck!

·
carpe mañana
7,308 Posts
Call_me_Clyde said:
Thanks folks. Keep 'em coming. Just checked Price Point and the '05 Nixon Super IT is $230 through today. Great deal.

Bob
Man, you missed out big time. Greenfishsports.com had Marzocchi Z1 SL from 2006 on sale for $399. Basically identical innards to the 66SL in the Z1 package. 130-150mm. You may want to call them and have them scour their warehouse for one or maybe someone returned one. It would be my choice in your price range.

Otherwise go used. A slightly used Marzocchi will last you forever anyway. PIKE is an OK fork, I was not thrilled by it. I hear TPC Nixons are OK, but they've got 145mm of travel.

_MK

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
MK_ said:
Man, you missed out big time. Greenfishsports.com had Marzocchi Z1 SL from 2006 on sale for $399. Basically identical innards to the 66SL in the Z1 package. 130-150mm. You may want to call them and have them scour their warehouse for one or maybe someone returned one. It would be my choice in your price range.

Otherwise go used. A slightly used Marzocchi will last you forever anyway. PIKE is an OK fork, I was not thrilled by it. I hear TPC Nixons are OK, but they've got 145mm of travel.

_MK
Jenson had the exact same deal on the 06 Z1 SL - I got mine there - terrific fork.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Matt

great looking deal, but I'm kinda hacked off at the $40.00 premium for the 20mm version. (I'm super cheap, I know..)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the email

I got the email a few minutes ago. At this point after much thinking, I've narrowed the search down to an air sprung Pike. It will be a while before I pull the trigger as I have some other priorities to deal with.

Bob

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.