Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking to upgrade my drivetrain to a 1x12, which requires a new rear wheel. I currently have the ‘bontrager’ rim that came stock on my marlin 5. I’ve heard you can stick a 12spd cassette on the stock marlin 7 rim, so maybe something of similar quality to that? Thanks

attached is the cassette I was looking to use

Attachments

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Your Marlin 5's 7-speed hub has a "freewheel". You'll need a wheel/hub with a "freehub" -- for example a Marlin 7 wheel.

A Marlin 7 wheel/hub has an HG driver meaning you could go with a SRAM NX cassette.

To go with a SRAM GX or better cassette, you would need a hub with an XD driver.

As others have stated your other posts, think hard about upgrading this bike... likely not worth it.

·
Always in the wrong gear
3,330 Posts
Why 12 speed?

You can get an entire M6000 Devore ‘mini-group’ of shifter, derailleur, chain, and a 10-speed Sunrace 11-46 cassette for about the same price as that ridiculously overpriced Eagle cassette.

That said- let’s be honest here... a wheel and an economic drivetrain like the M6000 is still going to cost almost as much as a new Marlin 5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
Most of the folks are correct - Would cost too much (compared to the value of the bike) to upgrade your drivetrain. If you still want to do so, see what Impetus said, and look for cheaper 1x11 or even 1x10, that can be found cheaper:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SHIMAN...Groupset-4-PCS-36T-42T-Optional-/122860219444

But then you need to replace the chainring, that may drive you to replace the cranks - or at least the chainring.

Then there's the wheel or, if you're lucky, just the hub.

I'd say you couldn't expect to spend much less than $400 on the whole conversion, and that's on a bike that costs $550, new. You'd be much better served by selling your bike and buying one that costs $950 and has much better parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.