Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been running Bud and Lou on Clownshoes on my 9-0-7 and love them for the incredible traction but they do have a lot of drag on my speed. I finally got a set of Ground Control's this week. My findings are as expected. The Ground Control's definitely roll better than Bud and Lou however the traction on gravel covered climbs is not near that of Lou. Also in some very wet mud crossings my steering and rear traction was greatly diminished on the Ground Controls. Like I said it was as expected. I will run the Ground Controls when I feel I really need to go fast (Most of the time), and Bud and Lou when I think I may go some where that I could get in trouble. I need to get another set of wheels now so I can set them all up tubeless and just swap wheel/tire sets as required.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Thanks for the comparison!

I'm running GC's and figured I would use them all summer and go with Bud and Lou once it snows.

That said I have yet to experience a traction problem with the GCs in dirt/gravel where I thought I needed more traction. Sure if I stand and hammer on a hill with lose dirt/gravel it will slip, but if I just chill out and pedal smoothly it's ok. How gravel-ey were these climbs you're describing?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comparison!

I'm running GC's and figured I would use them all summer and go with Bud and Lou once it snows.

That said I have yet to experience a traction problem with the GCs in dirt/gravel where I thought I needed more traction. Sure if I stand and hammer on a hill with lose dirt/gravel it will slip, but if I just chill out and pedal smoothly it's ok. How gravel-ey were these climbs you're describing?
About 100' elevation. granny gear steep covered in 2"-3" of golf ball to softball sized gravel.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
FWIW my impression of the HD's was I wanted more tire. They corner well but they also like to drift, at least the breakaway point is very predictable. Climbing traction was good but not as good as my GC's, straight line running they are faster. Different tools for different places/conditions, not sure if I could run HD's all the time.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I found the Lou especially draggy as a rear tire, but the Bud seems to roll just fine. Right now I have BFL in the rear and Bud in front. I'm thinking of increasing traction in the rear, however, and would like to hear if you have thoughts on Bud vs. Ground Control.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
I'm with Saul. I've always felt a more aggressive front tire was worth it, and never seemed to find the drag to be enough of a detriment so as to make it worth running something less grippy.

I run a more "race slick" type tire out back on most of my bikes, fat or not, and a big knobby honker out front.

Braking and cornering control trumps rolling resistance for me, any day.

Current fat setup is Bud front, Escalator rear. Like the Escalator much better than the HD. I'm assuming the Spesh offering would perform similarly to the Escalator, but that's just a guess....

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I found the Lou especially draggy as a rear tire, but the Bud seems to roll just fine. Right now I have BFL in the rear and Bud in front. I'm thinking of increasing traction in the rear, however, and would like to hear if you have thoughts on Bud vs. Ground Control.
Just got back from another long ride on the GC's. Did some very fast (20+), mph downhills. Lots of loose gravel and I was getting air on some bumps. When I returned to the ground the front end was not so stable. Tomorrow I will put the Bud back on the front. I think the Bud/GC combo will be very close to perfect. More to follow.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm also in agreement with Saul. The Bud up front does nearly everything well. For summer riding, the Lou isn't needed and just gets worn down quickly. gcappy, your Bud/GC might be good.
Ok, so I finally put my Bud back on the front today and went out for a ride. Same terrain and all as before. I think I now have the best possible all terrain tire combination, Bud/Ground Control. I think this is the best combination for everything except the worst traction condition. For that I would want to put my Lou back on.
I just got a pair of Holy Rolling Darrel's for my wife's 9-0-7, 170 frame so I can put the Bud/GC combination on her bike too.

·
move on up...
395 Posts
Ok, so I finally put my Bud back on the front today and went out for a ride. Same terrain and all as before. I think I now have the best possible all terrain tire combination, Bud/Ground Control. I think this is the best combination for everything except the worst traction condition. For that I would want to put my Lou back on.
I just got a pair of Holy Rolling Darrel's for my wife's 9-0-7, 170 frame so I can put the Bud/GC combination on her bike too.
Great to hear this Gcappy! I really like Bud on the front of my Mukluk. I need to see how and if it will work in both positions (I have a feeling it might be nice front & rear for summer) if not I was wondering if a GC on darryl will work, do you have a measurement of how wide the GC is on your clownshoe? Thanks in advance:thumbsup:
Cheers, Matt:)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Cool. But can you comment more on the differences between the GC and bud as a front?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cool. But can you comment more on the differences between the GC and bud as a front?
Yes. The GC has higher rolling resistance and seems to vibrate slightly at speed (15 mph). GC has good traction however I feel that Bud actually has better traction. I run Bud in traction direction. I have not tried it in propulsion direction. Bud also feels smoother at speed.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Great to hear this Gcappy! I really like Bud on the front of my Mukluk. I need to see how and if it will work in both positions (I have a feeling it might be nice front & rear for summer) if not I was wondering if a GC on darryl will work, do you have a measurement of how wide the GC is on your clownshoe? Thanks in advance:thumbsup:
Cheers, Matt:)
I have not measured it but this list was posted a while back and seems accurate.

Text Colorfulness Photograph White Line

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.