Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built the Bucksaw I went with Panaracer Fat B. Nimble tyres in the 60 TPI flavour. While they perform pretty good they are not the lightest things around.

I am looking to get a new set of tyres that have better side knobs for cornering and have less weight. I live and ride in Florida so snow/ice performance is meaningless.

What are some good options?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I think the lightest fatty is the Kenda Juggernaught.
Juggernauts are great tires to put on to weigh your bike and keep dust from gathering on your rim. Other than that they pretty much suck. They have over double the rolling resistance of the Jumbo Jims.

JJ's in the snakeskin variety are awesome for non snow riding and very durable.

·
Why so uptite?
975 Posts
Juggernauts are great tires to put on to weigh your bike and keep dust from gathering on your rim. Other than that they pretty much suck. They have over double the rolling resistance of the Jumbo Jims.

JJ's in the snakeskin variety are awesome for non snow riding and very durable.
Never said I would ride it. I don't ride Kenda or Panaracer tires.

But a set of Juggernaughts would be a pound lighter than most tires.

·
beer thief
4,921 Posts
I have found it's seldom a good idea to buy tires based on weight. Find a tread pattern that works for your area and go with it. My FBNs were very light but lasted less than 500 miles, no good.

I run my Bucksaw with 27.5 x 3" Dirt Wizards most of the year. They are anything but light but those side knobs are confidence inspiring. Best tires I've ever used for our typical trail conditions.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was sort of leaning towards the Jumbo Jims in the first place. The Dirt Wizards look good but alas, they do not come in the size needed.

The Kenda Juggernaut doesn't seem like it has tall enough knobs for most of the riding I do.

·
since 4/10/2009
31,971 Posts
I have used 120 tpi Husker Dus for 2 summers now. Probably get another season out of them before I need new rubber. They've been great tires, except for their cornering traction. Thankfully most places I ride, the corners aren't loose enough that it's a problem. The updated ones look better in that department, though.

I have been curious about the Jumbo Jims, too.

I know a guy who's bought the Jug 4.0's and isn't thrilled by them. He's not one to really rip on a product, though...so all he says about them is that they're "race tires". LOL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've had Jumbo Jims on my Bucksaw and they are ok.
I like Surly Nates, they corner super great, grip awesome and rolling is soo fast. However, they are heavy.
Since I'm running Marge Lites, tubless is a little rough. I'm interested in seeing what you end up with

·
since 4/10/2009
31,971 Posts
I've had Jumbo Jims on my Bucksaw and they are ok.
I like Surly Nates, they corner super great, grip awesome and rolling is soo fast. However, they are heavy.
Since I'm running Marge Lites, tubless is a little rough. I'm interested in seeing what you end up with
I save the Nates for when things get loose. Basically, loose leaves in autumn, snow in winter, and damp in springtime. I installed them a bit early this year (leaf fall was a bit later than usual this year), and they're definitely slower than Husker Du in dry conditions. I found the extra traction pretty useful when I was riding in Vegas with them in the spring, though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts