Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
Great forum by the way.
I have only just started building my own lights and now am somewhat addicted!
I have been using one of these http://www.led-tech.de/en/High-Powe...3x-3.5W-Plug-und-Light-Kit-LT-984_121_80.html
And had a 700mA buckpuck driving it but as it needed a 1000mA to be full power (720lu) i bought one.
It came with a 25deg triple lens which believe it or not was too spotty,so i ordered a 10deg which is great.
Since i have been using the 1000 buck the light has turned itself off several times but came back on after about 5 mins.
I have made a little control box to house 2 switches (on off/and 1 for the pot which i set at about 350mA and wired it through the switch to give me a sort of dimmer) so the buck is pretty enclosed.
The battery is only about 10inches away from the input also.
Has anyone else had this prob with buck's? and as its enclosed could i cut the top off the case of the buck to let it breath a bit.
Cheers
Paul.

·
Registered
336 Posts
May be voltage, the buckpuck needs a voltage differential of ~2 volts, before it goes into direct drive, then shutoff if too low. Tell me more about the array and battery pack ...or if you've measure in & out voltage. Battery should be 12+ volts for that led array. The buckpucks don't make much heat. Is it right up against the led base?

·
Registered
587 Posts
I use the buckpuck and due to the design of the case and internals on my DIY I have to attach the buck to the inside top surface of the case - which is one area that gets pretty hot when at 1000ma. What I found useful was to create a small air pocket between the buck and the surface of the case wall by attaching two small pieces of flat fiberglass in -between as a standoff. I use JB weld to attach.

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
TOMMO said:
Has anyone else had this prob with buck's? and as its enclosed could i cut the top off the case of the buck to let it breath a bit.
No, I don't think you can do that. If I'm not mistaken, the BuckPuck's circuit board is "potted"....that is, encased in a solid block of epoxy or plastic-type material.

Is it possible that the "control" wires (where your pot is connected)on the BuckPuck are shorting out? If those wires are shorted it will turn off the light.

JZ

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.