Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this term came from the recent movie or has been around for a while. A "Bucket List" is a list of things to do before you kick the bucket. Anyone have such a list?

Here's mine:

Visit all 50 States (3 to go)
Visit 25 countries or possessions (15 to go - I've spent most of my time traveling in the USA)
Retire at 62 or at least have the option (Well on the way)

That's about it. Oh, I had other things I wanted to do when I was younger. Some I did, others became pretty meaningless as I "matured." I.E., own the "best" of something. Way too subjective to measure. Some were unfair such as seeing both my sons graduate college. Its not my place to say if they should or shouldn't but I did provide the means. One did, one is now in the Navy's Nuclear Program. Both are successful in their terms. Other goals became outdated or were too materialistic.

What's is on your list?
:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a list, but it was a list before "Bucket List" came around.

Similar to yours, really.

Visit all 50 states
Have 2.3 kids
Hike the Appalachian Trail
(maybe) bike across country
Retire a millionaire (actually a million for every family member)

There are others that I have listed somewhere, but I can't remember them.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Just one problem

If you complete everything on your list, AND you are still alive, what do you do then?

Like some Native Americans - just go out into the woods and lay down and die?

OR

Add more to your list until you can't complete it, and die feeling like you didn't get to do EVERYTHING in your list? disappointed, and DEAD - bummer.

I think it nice to have PLACES you want to say you've been, BUT you could go to 4 corners and jump from state to state and then check off those 4 and never really SEE that state.

I've seen people drive up to the Grand Canyon, hop out of the car (or giant RV or big air conditioned SUV) look at the canyon for a few minutes, take a few pictures with a little P&S and hop back into the car and drive away.

You know when they go home they will SAY "I've been to the Grand Canyon, and seen it!"

I think it is better to EXPERIENCE something than just "check it off a list" so to speak.

For example, there is a HUGE difference in say, going to Spain and seeing the sights as compared to running with the bulls in Spain.

Life is an adventure, enjoy the ride! (just my opinion)

oh yea, if you go, take only memories, leave only footprints.

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
To be able to ride like the riders in The Collective/Roam/Seasons. That would be a blast. But I would probably kill myself doing it, but at least I would love it!

-Visit Australia & Italy
-Travel for Mountain Biking
-etc

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Retire at 55 (or sooner)

Get into an RV and become a MTB'ing bum, driving to MTB Meccas where the weather and
riding is spectacular. Help cut new trails and maintain established ones. Hit every great MTB
spot there is.

Visit all of the most wonderful parks in the states.

Ride the Dolomites and possibly some other sweet spots in Europe.

Check out New Zealand and Australia.

Leave a big wad of money to the grandkids of my best friends or some charity or to whatever
organization at that time that can have the most positive impact on trails for bikes.

I'm sure the contents of the bucket will change, but that's what I'm seeing in there right now.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep adding

"If you complete everything on your list, AND you are still alive, what do you do then?"

Keep adding!

Having goals makes us dynamic individuals whatever the goals may be. I used to want to ride at least 100 days per year. My average now exceeds that. Some rides are great experiences, some less so, but all are on bikes. Gotta' like that.

I never had a specific goal to ride somewhere exotic but I did and when I look back on it, it was a great experience. Memories help keep us young too.

PS: I brought up this idea to my wife and she said, why have a list? Just do what you want when the opportunity arises. That works too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
List of 100

I try to come up with a list of 100 things to do before I die. I fizzle out around 70 and the list keeps changing but it's fun to do nonetheless.

A few things on it:
-Mtn Bike in Peru, Switzerland, & the Himalayas
-Ski bum for a season
-Win a DH race

There's others and I don't expect to do all of them necessarily...that's not the point ultimately, for me. It's important to keep dreaming and striving...

·
pedal pusher
2,712 Posts
There are tons of things I wish I could do before I die, but I honestly doubt I'll get to do any of them. And even if I could, it wouldn't matter once I was dead, anyway.

Well, maybe take another drink of Dr. Pepper. *gulp* Okay, I'm good.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My wife of 35 years was just diagnosed with cancer. She's in the process of putting her Bucket List together. Really. No joking matter for us.

Her first item: See a NASA (shuttle) launch in person.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
RickC5 said:
My wife of 35 years was just diagnosed with cancer. She's in the process of putting her Bucket List together. Really. No joking matter for us.

Her first item: See a NASA (shuttle) launch in person.
No, no joke; I won't insult you with trite 'best wishes'. Bless every morning as a gift, and appreciate every evening as an opportunity to savor the gift.

But you need to hustle on the shuttle launch; they won't keep happening.

May I suggest #2 on the List for you both: wrap yourselves up in the proverbial second childhood, embrace it, enjoy it, and wallow in love. Carry it through everything else on the list.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,987 Posts
My own Bucket....

Never thought much about it, because I'm not yet 50, and I have every intention of being the first in my family to be fully functional the day after my 80th birthday. I will ride 80 minutes on my 80th birthday, and a mile for every year I intend to see after that if I still feel up to it. Which I'd BETTER, or else! (How many people you know threaten themselves?)

Hmmm....

Pedal Europe, as much as it takes to satisfy me.
Ride the Maah Daah Hey.
Get Lance's autograph for my daughter.

More to come as I think of it....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.