Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone doing or have done this race before? I was looking at the Spatdog website and was interested in doing the race in two weeks. Just wanted to get an idea of what to expect. This will be my first race and I plan on entering the beginners category, but it's only a 5 mile course. Seems like so little. Is it a technically challenging course for them to make it that short?

Just trying to get some info. THANKS!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Go for Sport

There is two heart attack hill climbs in the begging of the race. Very steep but not to long 50 yards or so. The rest of the course is very hard packed swoopy fast tight single track. It is a great beginner course to racing MTB's. Go for 2 laps you will have fun.;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did this race last year as a Beginner and I agree that one lap is too short, but unfortunately Sport is 3 laps. It is a real nice trail to race/ride with lots of swoopy terrain, which of course means lots of short climbs. I only recall one or two climbs that were especially steep. There were people on both hardtails and full suspension bikes at the race. Either one seemed to work well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
someone new is running the race this year and it looks like they are running it backwards, which turns all the downhill into a series of three climbs with the last one being really torn up and 90% walk up it. then the course is pretty mellow until one last climb near the end of the lap. Its unfortunate that they run the race this direction, since it takes out the only fun downhill and make it a Hike-a-bike climb. But at least the race is still on.

·
Registered
737 Posts
framecracker said:
This sounds fun. Anyone have pointers on what the race is like. I have a hard tail and all mountain bike. Which one would be best for the race?

thanks
A hard tail hands down for sure. Running it backwards now that is going to very interesting :confused:

·
Registered
761 Posts
so they are going to climb up the fireroad and come out the singletrack like last years second race? i prefer to go in on the single track and come out the fire road . The fire road climbs are going to be too hard for some of the young juniors.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm racing it, as it is local for me and its a good chance to settle some scores from last year. And I am only guessing by the descriptions on the map what direction they are running it. The second race last year was so hot (mid May) that the suffering was doled out all day.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.