Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

461 - 480 of 486 Posts

·
Rocks belong
5,252 Posts
I'd do EN.

My front rims are both AM/28h and, to be honest, I wish I had ordered EN all around. My rear is EN/32h.

·
Rocks belong
5,252 Posts
Is that because you're noticing damage or flex or what?
Not at all. The AM rim rides incredibly smooth on the front of my slack all-mountain hardtail. Plenty stiff, tracks great, seriously smooth over high speed/small bump chop.

The other set is on my full-suspension... They're so dang light that I have it in my head that I'm going to break them :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.

Does anyone have opinions on shipping methodology in the state of the pandemic? The cheapest option claims 4 to 6 weeks. I have received lightbike rims via EMS in the past, and it ends up in the hands of USPS, which has been fraught of late. The "Air-Shipping" is expensive, but does anyone know who ends up taking over domestically; is it DHL?

·
Registered
50 Posts
My wheels were shipped via EMS around Thanksgiving. EMS gets transferred to USPS as per your previous experiences. Took only about 1.5 weeks to show up to the West Coast USA.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went with the free EMS shipping. I ordered the wheels on November 21 and received them two days ago (5th) through UPS. The packaging was great, no evidence of being banged around or miss handled. Mine was UPS from California to Montana.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ordered 11/23 I think. Received last night. Think I selected EMS, ended up being delivered by UPS.

Also, look great. Came in slightly under what they said they would. That doesn't mean anything until I ride them though. Even with the DH layup on the 30MM shallow rims, they are 250 grams lighter than my Santa Cruz Reserves.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I ordered the premium symmetric i-25 rims for $404.17 shipped via FedEx before Christmas and had my local bike shop build them up with Onyx Vesper hubs and DT Champion spokes to 100 Kfg. I just got them back today. The bike shop said the rims looked good and were easy to build with no problems. I'll be reporting back as I get some miles on them. The weight of the rims on my food scale matched up to BTLOS advertised weight within 5 grams. The weights shown include rim tape and MucOff valve stems. These wheels are going on a 2021 Epic Evo. I debated buying a full wheel build from BTLOS and had I gone that route I would have purchased DT 240's but I already owned this Onyx Vesper rear hub and wanted to put it to use. Plus the purple looks nice in my opinion.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good to know. Thanks.

Does anyone have opinions on shipping methodology in the state of the pandemic? The cheapest option claims 4 to 6 weeks. I have received lightbike rims via EMS in the past, and it ends up in the hands of USPS, which has been fraught of late. The "Air-Shipping" is expensive, but does anyone know who ends up taking over domestically; is it DHL?
I ordered a wheelset on 11/25 and chose the least expensive shipping option ($28 via Matson). I received a shipping confirmation on 12/13 and as of today the wheels are still "In Transit". UPS will handle delivery when they arrive in the US. If the 4-6 week estimate is accurate I'm hoping to see my wheels sometime in the next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
My new BTLOS carbon wheels have just arrived and unfortunately they have been built with incorrect spokes. I ordered D-Lights, which were changed to DT Comp Race as they had no D-Lights in stock, but they have come with Sapim Race. I also asked them about DT prolock nipples and was assured that they use "Sapim Pro Lock" nipples which I took to mean Sapim secure lock, but they have come with standard Sapim Polyax.

I have emailed them about it and will update when I get a response.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I rode my new wheel all last week into the weekend. The weekday rides were my commute to work with low roiling resistance tires, the weekend rides were on the trails with a Butcher on the front and Eliminator on the rear, both grid/trail casings. The wheels felt great. They are stiff and transfer the trail to the hands just the way I hoped. It’s not a massive difference over the aluminum rims before but more in touch with the terrain. The handling is much better and I think that is mostly because these wheels weigh 867 grams less than my old ones. Acceleration up hill makes me feel like a super hero. I had to take the rebound back a click on the front because it felt just a bit fast or bouncy with the lighter wheel. Manuals are way easier too. The wheels are i29A rims with CXRay spokes and DT 180 hubs and weigh 1370 grams.

·
Registered
340 Posts
On my last bike I had a set of WMi30A. I just got a 29er and was thinking I might get a set of the shallow profile WMi30AS.
Has anyone had both and have any input on if they feel significantly different?

·
Registered
76 Posts
My new BTLOS carbon wheels have just arrived and unfortunately they have been built with incorrect spokes. I ordered D-Lights, which were changed to DT Comp Race as they had no D-Lights in stock, but they have come with Sapim Race. I also asked them about DT prolock nipples and was assured that they use "Sapim Pro Lock" nipples which I took to mean Sapim secure lock, but they have come with standard Sapim Polyax.

I have emailed them about it and will update when I get a response.
Bummer, I also agreed to the DT Comp Race spokes instead of Sapim D-Lights. My wheels haven't arrived yet, so I'll be curious to see which spokes they used.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yeah, just measure them when they arrive, mine were 1.8mm and had s Sapim stamped near the heads so easy to tell what they were.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I just ordered a set of the i30 shallow profile 29er rims. I debated between having them build them up with DT hubs or just getting the rims and having a local shop build the wheels with Project 321 hubs . The value is their built wheels is amazingly good and I have two sets from them that are great. I opted for the custom build in the end, though it will cost me more and won't be as light, but I really like the Project 321 hubs I'm running on my 27.5 bike (quick engagement, light-ish, quiet). I probably should have asked them if they could source the hubs I want. Has anyone else ever done this?

I figured I better get my order in before it gets any closer to CNY...I might have pushed it too close as it is. My bike is due in Feb, so I doubt they'll make it in time 😕.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had them (BTLOS) source hubs they didn't list on their site and use them in a custom build. (dt180 exp). Worked out fine in my experience.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ahhhhh i couldnt help my self.. I ordered a set of the WMi27ASs for my soon to be here Spur.. Already have the 30mm wide ones on the sentinel and these are going to save like 300 Gs!!

Got the DT240exp straight pull hubs.. they just look cool LOL. should be a killer wheelset

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Generally, it would seem the radially shallower/shorter rims are more radially compliant, and I wonder how the BTLOS AS models compare with more premium options. For example, a We Are One Union, which is 30 mm internal width and 21 mm thick radially vs the BTLOS 30AS, which is 30 x 18mm.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just ordered a set of the i30 shallow profile 29er rims. I debated between having them build them up with DT hubs or just getting the rims and having a local shop build the wheels with Project 321 hubs . The value is their built wheels is amazingly good and I have two sets from them that are great. I opted for the custom build in the end, though it will cost me more and won't be as light, but I really like the Project 321 hubs I'm running on my 27.5 bike (quick engagement, light-ish, quiet). I probably should have asked them if they could source the hubs I want. Has anyone else ever done this?

I figured I better get my order in before it gets any closer to CNY...I might have pushed it too close as it is. My bike is due in Feb, so I doubt they'll make it in time 😕.
They didn’t have much for hubs readily available other than DT Swiss when I ordered rims my rims last month, I wanted Hydras and they said 4 months out. It was pretty much the same price to have my builder build with their rims anyway, had the rims shipped directly to him.

I got my shipping notice yesterday, 8-20 day delivery....

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I ordered mine on Black Friday with the slow/cheapest shipping and got them yesterday. It actually took them longer to make them and ship them than the shipping time, but I'm in no rush as it's a winter project. I also got CXray spokes/nips from them as they were easily $1 cheaper than anywhere over here; now I just have to build them.
I got the 12k weave/matte and the rims are actually gorgeous; next time I'll probably go without stickers. Maybe if they had a cool logo/icon but just having the letters "BTLOS" on my rim is very meh.

461 - 480 of 486 Posts