Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok team,

I'm speccing some BTLOS wheels and am looking for am build that's grunty but light as practical.
This will be going on my mountain track slayer which light weight is an advantage for the pedal/push/carry up. On the down i'll be smashing roots head on and riding offcamber but not hitting too much hard burms on the this bike. I am usually pretty good on wheel sets but can flat spot the rear on alloy wheels.

Note i do have send slayer that is built with heavy wheelset/ grunty spokes for all my hard hitting park bashing/urban assault street stair mashing fun. So this build is the light spec.

I'm looking at... flash bladed spoke Sapim CX ray DT350 21+ hub 1495 gram $900 usd. or DT240 Hub standard buttered spice 1538 gram $980usd?

PS If i spec DT 240 and sapim cx ray that takes the wheelset over my budget.

So far DT340 bladed spoke is winning the battle.

PSS I had bladed spokes on a set of evne 26" wheels and never broke a spoke. I enjoyed the **** out of those wheels.

What are your thoughts.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Circle

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
Before jumping on anything with a 240exp hub you might want to check out the massive thread regarding the recent issues of the new 240. Could be DT has solved the issue across the board. There's no telling for sure at this point. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable spending money on that hub right now. 350 is tried and true for sure with no changes.

Bladed spokes on a mountain bike? Serious question, why? I always thought they were just more aero. There's no purpose on a mountain bike. Maybe they just look cool, won't fault you for that if that's your reasoning but if they're expensive maybe that money could be spent elsewhere since you are on a budget.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before jumping on anything with a 240exp hub you might want to check out the massive thread regarding the recent issues of the new 240. Could be DT has solved the issue across the board. There's no telling for sure at this point. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable spending money on that hub right now. 350 is tried and true for sure with no changes.

Bladed spokes on a mountain bike? Serious question, why? I always thought they were just more aero. There's no purpose on a mountain bike. Maybe they just look cool, won't fault you for that if that's your reasoning but if they're expensive maybe that money could be spent elsewhere since you are on a budget.

I've been using DT swiss 240 for years...

Looks like the bladed spokes are similar strength but lighter by about 80 grams for both wheels. I do like a light wheel. So if i can reduce rotating weight without compromising performance I'm interested in that.

·
EDR
10,792 Posts
I've been using DT swiss 240 for years...

Looks like the bladed spokes are similar strength but lighter by about 80 grams for both wheels. I do like a light wheel. So if i can reduce rotating weight without compromising performance I'm interested in that.
So have thousands of other people. The point is the new 240exp hubs are a different design. And failing.... To some degree.

·
Class Clown
3,834 Posts
yes the exp hubs have issues, i have some 180exp on the way and taking the chance they fixed the issue because i want really light hubs and i know they will warranty it. will check the serial # first thing.

that said i have 2 sets of 350s and besides a little extra weight they are solid.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes the exp hubs have issues, i have some 180exp on the way and taking the chance they fixed the issue because i want really light hubs and i know they will warranty it. will check the serial # first thing.

that said i have 2 sets of 350s and besides a little extra weight they are solid.
OK, looks like 350's are the go.

My CXRays bit the dust on my We Are One wheels (240s) that We Are One is currently rebuilding. I'm going with non-bladed Races this time around.
What bit the dust around the cx rays? what style of riding? what went wrong? how heavy are you? do you normally shred wheels?

·
high pivot witchcraft
6,721 Posts
OK, looks like 350's are the go.

What bit the dust around the cx rays? what style of riding? what went wrong? how heavy are you? do you normally shred wheels?

For a TL; DR summary, read posts 65 and on.

I have Races on a set of We Are One Agents with 350s that I run on my hardtail. So far so good with that wheelset. Thought I would keep things the same this time around with the Races.

I'm going to also order a set of mullet Unions with Races and Hydras, at the same time my wheelset is being rebuilt. Yeah - I like We Are One. Those guys won't let you down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.