Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When: Sat, Jul 12, 9:30am – 12:00pm
Where: China Camp State Park, San Rafael
Description: The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay invites you to our monthly group ride 9:30 am the 2nd Saturday of every month for a casually paced social group ride at one of the many great parks in the east bay. This no-drop ride is fun and includes most levels - both men and women. Most importantly, we ride together and find camaraderie in the sport. Rides generally last 2 to 3 hours. • Ride is free and open to the public • Rides are led by experienced local mountain bikers familiar with the trails.
Groups for ALL skill levels!
Skill Building Beginner Group - Michael Mejia, El Cerrito Racing Founder and YMCA MTB Director/Coach will lead the New riders/Beginners.
Relaxed Intermediate
Fast Paced/Advanced
Directions: Richmond San Rafael Bridge to 101 north Take the North San Pedro Exit, by the Civic center, Stay on North San Pedro Road about 3 miles east of 101. Kiosk is on the Right at the beginning of China Camp State Park

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Bee thar!

Berkeley Mike said:
When: Sat, Jul 12, 9:30am - 12:00pm
Description: The Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay invites you to our monthly group ride 9:30 am the 2nd Saturday of every month for a casually paced social group ride at one of the many great parks in the east bay. This no-drop ride is fun and includes most levels - both men and women. Most importantly, we ride together and find camaraderie in the sport. Rides generally last 2 to 3 hours. • Ride is free and open to the public • Rides are led by experienced local mountain bikers familiar with the trails.
Skill Building Beginner Group - Michael Mejia, El Cerrito Racing Founder and YMCA MTB Director/Coach will lead the New riders/Beginners.
Relaxed Intermediate
Fast Paced/Advanced
Directions: Richmond San Rafael Bridge to 101 north Take the North San Pedro Exit, by the Civic center, Stay on North San Pedro Road about 3 miles east of 101. Kiosk is on the Right at the beginning of China Camp State Park
... and be square! I'm coming with Sparky, I think

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
Berkeley Mike said:
When: Sat, Jul 12, 9:30am - 12:00pm
Relaxed Intermediate
Fast Paced/Advanced
Since when is San Rafael East Bay??

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Gang of 15 at China Camp

We had a great group of riders, some old friends we haven't seen fora while and some new. There was only one C group rider, my wife Kathy, who is only in her 3rd month of riding. While that is just fine with me it is a shame that more Beginners didn't show up as this is a huge opportunity to experience dirt with highly skilled support.

We did the Shoreline Trail and went out to Peacock Gap and the intersection of The Bay View and Oakridge Trails at Knight. All very doable for beginners at a very sane pace. We saw lots of deer and turkeys. We also ran into a group from Clif who was showing their new riders from their office how it is done. They gave us some Clif Blocks and Luna Moons to sample. Coolest of all was one little guy who must have been 3 and a half on his little 12 inch green monster bike. Come on guys, if he can do it you can!

I'm sure you'll hear about the B ride from other riders.

Attachments

·
Uncle
4,390 Posts
A/B rider here. BTCEB represent!

21 miles and ~3100' of climbing overall -- seriously kicked my butt, but never once felt overwhelming; which made for one of the most enjoyable & toughest rides I've had in a while. Certainly inspired thoughts of getting stronger again. Always good to see familiar faces for a ride, and some of today's good company managed to drag out the party with a post-ride trip to San Rafael for San Jose Taqueria's finest Plato de Carnitas.

El día muy bueno! Ahora, yo nececito una siesta de comer... (How do you say "food coma" in spanish?)

·
Nature Rider, Not MTBer
2,695 Posts
I was surprised I had some time this morning, saw this thread, jammed over there, and had a fun ride with good folks, many of whom I hadn't seen in far too long. Got back just in time to shower and take my shift of baby care. Thanks BTCEB!

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
Awesome ride today.
I got a chance to ride with some of my favorite riding buddies at one of my favorite places today in, you know, the "other" east bay.
My vacation is off to a great start! (except for the 2 mechanicals but you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs)

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
stripes said:
Do you do this ride monthly? I'd love to co-list it with Mere Mortals.

I would have been at China Camp today, 'cept I'm still nursing my leg.
The BTCEB Gala ride is the second Saturday of each month but it changes locations. I can send you the dates of the remaining gala rides to co-list.

Good time guys! I tested myself and did the Nike Tower climb in my single speed gear so I impressed myself. After riding that Mojo the SC just feels like a dog on these trails now. :( Yummy eats afterwards too!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Fun Time

This was my first visit to a BTCEB group ride. I am new to the area and because of that fact have been riding solo. But sharing the experience with others brings a new dynamic. I have been mountain biking for a long time and enjoy riding with all levels of riders
Everyone in the group was very friendly and most helpful. This was also my first visit to China Camp, and the group enhanced the experience greatly. I met many new people and look forward to sharing other single-track, as well as fire road, with them. I thank everyone who participated. Cheers!

·
ballbuster
12,718 Posts
Yeah, Good times

d-star-p said:
This was my first visit to a BTCEB group ride. I am new to the area and because of that fact have been riding solo. But sharing the experience with others brings a new dynamic. I have been mountain biking for a long time and enjoy riding with all levels of riders
Everyone in the group was very friendly and most helpful. This was also my first visit to China Camp, and the group enhanced the experience greatly. I met many new people and look forward to sharing other single-track, as well as fire road, with them. I thank everyone who participated. Cheers!
I had 3300 feet of climbing on my altimeter. Two summits, I cleaned the first one, rode 70% of the second one, buncha stuff in between. My chain was feeling crunchy about 8 miles into it because I forgot my second thicker chainlube. Wups. Other than that, the bike felt great.

Some pics of the day....

We were super early so we stopped off at 'Bikes and Beans'. Cool shop! A combination small bike shop with rental bikes, and a coffee bar. Perfect for that cup of mud to jump start your brain before a day of China Camp. Right next door to the 7-11 on North San Pedro. Easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

Getting put together for a ride

Mrs. Rutsie on the climb to the paved road to the summit.

.... and Sparky

... and Plim shoewed up, all Homered out.

There's the summit climb. Looks steep. You go first.

On the summit the first time.

A few more...

Charlotte is a NorCal High School racer. She was kicking ass all day long.

Erin!

105mm-o-P

Second summit with my camera strap in front of the lens.

... and back down!

Good ride, all!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.