Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
22 riders joined the BTCEB for a pretty nice tour of an area we have never ridden. We did not expect so many as the Park has little cache. I have to say that I had to think twice about traveling 45 miles to the most distant southeast corner of the BTCEB fiefdom to a park that promised more EBRPD fireroad. Yet this in one of the functions of the Gala Rides; to explore new places to ride, supported by skilled and knowledgeable riders, and make new friends. So we pitch-in.

We started from the Arroyo Staging area with an immediate in-yo-face 10% climb of 400-500 ft. The ridgetop achieved revealed a spectacular view of the Del Valle Reservoir surrounded by your basic East Bay brown hills with dark green ravines. Ho-hum.....Yet 16 miles and 2000 ft of climbing revealed a lot more singletrack than I would have guessed. Many of these singletrack trails shortcut some ugly fireroad climbs with more interesting and flowy lines or simply move down closer to the Del Valle Reservoir in a way not allowed by fireroads due to their function. All in all they were a nice surprise, enough to warrant a return trip.

It was a hot one today and some of those dry sunbaked climbs were brutal and unavoidable. Proximity to the water did bring a few nice cool breezes and ridge tops afforded respite as well. Skilled riders know the value of hydration and while we were pressed, some more than others by heat and thirst and lack of leg, the antidote was abundant. Upon completion of our ride we repaired to the shade of a tree to sample a fine variety of well-chilled beers in service of rebalancing our electrolytes.

I rode my Bontrager still with it’s 1.95 Nevegal/Blue Groove tires worn from the spring season of riding. Clearly that has to change. After a season of training High School racers I also have to change my riding experience and the Gala rides will go a long way to facilitate that.

The next BTCEB Gala, always on the second Saturday of each month, will be at a more familiar haunt; Redwood/Joaquin Miller. This location affords some very well supported A, B, and C-level rides.

Attachments

·
Feeling a little taller
6,705 Posts
SparkyJ and I took on the C ride group on a fantastic set of singletrack trails that BTCEB worked for years to get open as multi-use and finally opened in 2005. Despite some poor maintenance policies over the past few years, what I experienced today were some of the best swoopy, buff, tree-shaded, lake-breeze-cooled, FUN narrow trails around.

It's only too bad that some of us have to drive so far for this and that there are so few such trails in the parks closer to the populated areas.

https://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/39956668

...and there was a Joe Steel sighting!

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
105millimetersofpleasure said:
Joe, nice to see how little of that ride is on fire road. Free the Single Track!
Yes! It is a beautiful thing. It's the closest riding to my home so I'm out here whenever I don't have time to travel farther for a ride. Having those trails opened up for legal riding was quite a treat. THANK YOU BTCEB!

I think it's proven itself. Time for more legal singletrack EBRPD! ;)

Here's some more GPS data for the trails. Sorry -- from the attached pics you can tell I was geeking out on the old Fisher I was riding :D

Del Valle -- To the Dam & Back
Plan your trips with EveryTrail Mobile Travel Guides

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
thanks BTCEB

...for all your work, i actually wanted to make this ride just for nostalgia. i grew up riding a lot of those trails in the 80's but you couldn't get around swallow bay (i believe that's what that's called), at least i couldn't find the route. there's also a bunch of trails off of mines rd, like where joe steel staged. we used to drop in up top of mines w/our fishin gear and cruise down to the lake through improvised singletrack. probably a mix of bike and cattle track, there's a few creek beds heading towards the lake that resemble trails if i can remember. my mom still lives in town, around the corner from arroyo rd. on a cross bike i'll usually ride up mines, drop in @ the top where they fly the gliders and make my way to the dam. some good climbs and some dirt, makes for some good fun. i'll probably do that ride this friday since i'll be in town, but i'll start real early cause of the heat!

that's fisher's hot, love the bullmoose bars and that paint job's a good pattern to scare off mountain lions.

·
Habitual Line Stepper
152 Posts
This was only my fourth Gala ride and I swear each ride get more and more fun! The initial climb almost sent me to the parking lot early but there was plenty of pay off with narrow trails just on the other side.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,570 Posts
best part of riding Del Valle is diving into the lake every chance you get on a hot day, followed by ice cold post ride beverages

·
Registered
148 Posts
It had been quite a while since I had been to Del Valle...mostly because I remember it mostly being just fireroad. Thanks BTCEB leaders for showing us the "goods" there...fun ride.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The singletrack was in EXCELLENT condition. Looked like one section had been recently worked on, yet it was still really narrow and hard packed. We didn't see a single other user on the singletrack (and this was on a weekend). It's great that EBRPD has kept the trails narrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts