Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the consensus on starting at Marciel Gate again this week? I loved the route last week as it ties in all of my favorite trails at Lake Chabot. I know it's a bit farther out for some to get to though. I'm open to either meeting spot. It's also going to be brutally HOT!! So less climbing and a more mellow pace might be appreciated by all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When: Every Wednesday! Meeting time 6PM, riding starts promptly at 6:30PM

Where: Lake Chabot Regional Park

Meeting at Marciel Gate Parking Area

http://www.ebparks.org/files/EBRPD_f...bot_detail.pdf

What: This is a no-drop (no one gets left behind) ride for all levels. We aim for 1.5-2 hours of riding. All routes include a climb of 600 feet over 1.4 miles.

Level A riders will average 9 - 10 mph around the Chabot trails, and is composed for riders that regularly do hilly rides of 20 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Narrow gauge trails will include usually include Red Tail and Soaring Hawk. Lights are suggested for Level A riders.

Level B riders will average roughly 7 - 9 mph around the Chabot trails, and is composed for riders that will do hilly rides of 15 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Narrow gauge trails will include Red Tail.

Level C riders will average roughly 5 to 7 mph around the Chabot trails and is composed for riders that will do hilly rides of 10 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Depending on time, Level C riders may be able to ride Red Tail.

This ride is perfect for those riders who are tired of riding alone, couples who want to ride but are at two different levels, riders looking to learn the trails of Lake Chabot and/or folks who want to meet other East Bay riders.

RSVP's are encouraged as we promptly start riding at 6:30. PM myself or ATBScott.

Eat and drinks to follow at a local restaurant for those you want more time to socialize with other mtbers.

Brought to you by msrutzie and ATBScott!

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I agree - nice place to start the ride and we'll have less climbing to get going at least. I hope a 100 Oz water bladder does the job for an hour and a half ride this week!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really like that spot to start from, but once again it's unlikely I will make it... I'm not too hot (no pun intended) on riding in the heat, plus I'm taking my truck up to Dublin for some work that afternoon. I suppose I'll bring my bike with me just in case they finish up in time...

Rob

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then it's a deal. Meet at Marciel Gate this week. Expect it to be toasty. We can decide where to get grub that night. If it's super toasty and we end early we can call Pyzano's for pickup and eat at the open space in my complex. I know there are a few in the group that haven't tasted the BEST pizza in the world! :)

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The weather was PERFECT today while I was walking my dog. Unfortunately it was 7:30AM!!! Yikes! It's gonna be hot so expect a mellow pace out of me (no comments from the peanut gallery). See ya tonight!

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
msrutzie, I posted to the BB&M list too - sounds like the parking lot is open up there. I'll check it out later today just for info purposes. When the weather is like this, it may be best to make Marciel a default anyway. Jen is in town, and wants to meet up for Pizza around 8-ish. If need be, I will be up for a shorter loop for those of us who want to meet up with her and have a slice/beer or three. It did cool down last night faster than Monday night. Let's hope for that tonight. And I'm not a peanut - can I comment? :p

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent! It's supposed to be hotter than yesterday so a shorter, mellow loop is fine with me. Not sure we can wrap things up and get to Pyzanos by 8. 8:30 is probably more realistic.

It was 109 in Livermore yesterday. Hot enough to melt the train tracks!!!!

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
It shouldn't be TOO hot at 6.30pm. but will bring a full camelback anyway maybe throw in a bunch of ice too.

I've been missing the climb up brandon(?) from the golf course lately. The last time we did it i made it to the bench in ~14 minutes and wanted to see if i could build on that. I know tonight is not the night but is there any chance we can incorporate that climb in to the route from Marciel gate at a future date?

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
It shouldn't be TOO hot at 6.30pm. but will bring a full camelback anyway maybe throw in a bunch of ice too.

I've been missing the climb up brandon(?) from the golf course lately. The last time we did it i made it to the bench in ~14 minutes and wanted to see if i could build on that. I know tonight is not the night but is there any chance we can incorporate that climb in to the route from Marciel gate at a future date?
sounds like we'll be back at the Police HQ next week so you will have your shot at trying to make the Brandon climb in under 10 minutes. :thumbsup: Are you testing yourself on the SS or geared bike?

·
1,075 Posts
msrutzie said:
sounds like we'll be back at the Police HQ next week so you will have your shot at trying to make the Brandon climb in under 10 minutes. :thumbsup: Are you testing yourself on the SS or geared bike?
SS?
i have only geared bikes, SS bikes are for masochists. I like having options when pedaling uphill.
i did do that 14minute climb in the big ring with minimal shifting (if thick smoky air) but that may have qualified as drivetrain abuse. i'm envisioning a middle ring with a high enough rear cog to allow me to stand and make slow powerful strokes.(i.e. stair stepping)
10 is a lot ot ask from a guy who only get 3 rides in a week, I've heard the record is 7 minutes but if i got it down to 12-13 on my next attempt I'd feel a sense of accomplishment.

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
SS?
i have only geared bikes, SS bikes are for masochists. I like having options when pedaling uphill.
i did do that 14minute climb in the big ring with minimal shifting (if thick smoky air) but that may have qualified as drivetrain abuse. i'm envisioning a middle ring with a high enough rear cog to allow me to stand and make slow powerful strokes.(i.e. stair stepping)
10 is a lot ot ask from a guy who only get 3 rides in a week, I've heard the record is 7 minutes but if i got it down to 12-13 on my next attempt I'd feel a sense of accomplishment.
Who you calling a masochist? :p

Maybe I'll tell the B and C riders to meet me at the top and test myself with ya next week.

You grubbin' at Pyzano's with us tonight? BEST pizza in the WORLD!

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
I'll try and make this one; it will be the pain-and-heat training I need for D-ville this weekend. I'm going to start again at the Marina and do 10hills, Brandon climb, and Red tail; will meet hopefully on time at Marciel.

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NoBalance said:
I'll try and make this one; it will be the pain-and-heat training I need for D-ville this weekend. I'm going to start again at the Marina and do 10hills, Brandon climb, and Red tail; will meet hopefully on time at Marciel.
We'll keep an eye out for ya. Monday I rode Skeggs and it was HOT. I about killed myself on the climb out so I'll be taking it real easy tonight. The Ibis Mojo rode like a dream though. I think I'm moving out of the lust stage and onto to the love stage. :)

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My stable is looking for a new steed with more travel. Monday was just a test ride to see if the Mojo might fit the bill. Up next is the Yeti 575.

·
enter and win
727 Posts
Caryn & co: hydrate! I would join you but over 110 degrees I turn into all sorts of no fun. We should take lessons from the dogs: hold down furniture all day long. No problem! Hope you guys have a fun ride.....if you get any symptoms of heat exhaustion, STOP!

bb

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
More than pink I like sex!!! Oops, I mean sexy. The mojo frame comes in black and it's WAY SEXY!!

·
1,075 Posts
Dude with one kidney says...

...roger.
wilco.
over. :thumbsup:

It won't be no 110 out there. maybe 80-85 and falling, the route we did last week was pretty mild. i'm packing a 50/50 ice mix in the camelback and will be over-hydrated when we leave.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.