Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ATBScott and NoBalance - When did I ever day I was looking for a good man? Lord knows my schedule doesn't allow much time for anything more than just a good time! :thumbsup:

We are back in action this Wednesday. I'm assuming a nice XC ride will leave me yawning after 5 days of riding in SLC. The DH trails at Deer Valley were awesome. A frames, banked bridges and all sorts of crazy drops. I'm totally looking forward to Northstar in a few weeks!!! But I disgress....we'll be at Chabot building our cardio. Englander afterwards? I was in SLC for a week and they have some crazy liquor laws. However, IMBA knows how to throw a party since this what we found at mile 13 of a 20 mile ride

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When: Every Wednesday! Meeting time 6PM, riding starts promptly at 6:30PM

Where: Lake Chabot Regional Park

Meeting at the Regional Park Police/Fire HQ Nike Classroom Parking Lot

http://www.ebparks.org/files/EBRPD_f...bot_detail.pdf

If you are heading north on Lake Chabot Road you will see an EBRPD sign on your right just after Seven Hills Road. If you see the kiosk entrance for the Marina you have gone too far. Heading south you will pass the kiosk entrance for the marina. You will see the left hand turn lane shortly after the kiosk turn. Drive up the paved road and park in the gravel lot on the left hand side.

What: This is a no-drop (no one gets left behind) ride for all levels. We aim for 1.5-2 hours of riding. All routes include a climb of 600 feet over 1.4 miles.

Level A riders will average 9 - 10 mph around the Chabot trails, and is composed for riders that regularly do hilly rides of 20 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Narrow gauge trails will include usually include Red Tail and Soaring Hawk. Lights are suggested for Level A riders.

Level B riders will average roughly 7 - 9 mph around the Chabot trails, and is composed for riders that will do hilly rides of 15 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Narrow gauge trails will include Red Tail.

Level C riders will average roughly 5 to 7 mph around the Chabot trails and is composed for riders that will do hilly rides of 10 miles or more in under 2-1/2 hours. Depending on time, Level C riders may be able to ride Red Tail.

This ride is perfect for those riders who are tired of riding alone, couples who want to ride but are at two different levels, riders looking to learn the trails of Lake Chabot and/or folks who want to meet other East Bay riders.

RSVP's are encouraged as we promptly start riding at 6:30. PM myself or ATBScott.

Eat and drinks to follow at a local restaurant for those you want more time to socialize with other mtbers.

Brought to you by msrutzie and ATBScott!

Attachments

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
msrutzie said:
ATBScott and NoBalance - When did I ever day I was looking for a good man? Lord knows my schedule doesn't allow much time for anything more than just a good time! :thumbsup:
My bad; I can now see by the picture provided that perhaps it was not a MAN that you were looking for. Still, I think you can do better than that! ;)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll be there tomorrow for sure. I wonder -- how bad is it to ride in all the smoke? I was in Wilder this weekend, and the air was quite clear. You have to love that ocean breeze.

MsR -- you gonna show off your new skills for us? Manuals in the parking lot, perhaps?

Also -- does anyone know if the parking lot is open? Last week, this created some confusion and a late start (and finish).

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Either I or ATBScott will check on the parking lot situation and post up later today or tomorrow. Air quality is crappy so I doubt I'll be hammering and filling my lungs with soot. It'll be a slower pace ride for me.

I learned a great lesson at the clinic. People have the best intentions but may not always be the best teachers. What that means is I'll be practicing my new skills on my own and once I have them mastered I will be showing them off. I adore SCFan but the first thing out of his mouth after seeing a wheelie that didn't impress him was 'oh no, that's not how you do a wheelie. You have to blah, blah, blah.....' Of course his method totally contradicts everything I learned.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cool -- thanks for checking on the lot. I was considering taking my geared bike tomorrow, so I can take it a bit easier on the climbs. The hill on Brannan is still pretty tough for me on the SS.

Sounds like you got a lot out of the skills clinic. As far as getting the critique of others... I'd ignore it, even though it was completely well-intentioned. I'm sure there are several ways to do the same thing, but what you were shown is working for you. I'd love to see you do a wheelie or 2, complete with commentary on the technique you learned. If you came back with more skills than you left with, that is clear proof that you are doing it right :)

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ATBScott is checking on the lot today but it appears that the lot is still closed to the public. That means we'll be meeting at the same location as last time.

I'm more than happy to share what I learned at the clinic with anyone who is interested. If I practice I'm sure it'll take my riding to a new level. I can't wait for the BTCEB End of Summer Camp Out since we are in the process of trying to get the skills obstacles built in time for the weekend. I used to want a large enough yard for an agility ring for my dog but after two knee surgeries for her I think I'll switch that desire for a new yard so that I can have my own 'agility' clinic. :)

·
Master of '80s BMX tricks
1,075 Posts
NoBalance said:
My bad; I can now see by the picture provided that perhaps it was not a MAN that you were looking for. Still, I think you can do better than that! ;)
Yeah, I think you can do better too
Squaffer's beer is kinda skunky. Cool label on the box though, i understand your attraction. That is a lot of beer you & Linda have there but quality is more important
May i recommend Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada IPA.

you may also find this interesting

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Biker_Scout_Sparky said:
Yeah, I think you can do better too
Squaffer's beer is kinda skunky. Cool label on the box though, i understand your attraction. That is a lot of beer you & Linda have there but quality is more important
May i recommend Fat Tire or Sierra Nevada IPA.

you may also find this interesting
You realize this is UTAH with a heavy mass of mormons right? Getting a full strength beer in Utah is like searching for the holy grail, unless you are in Park City and aren't a beer snob. New Belgium refuses to ship to Utah given the crazy liquor laws. The only fat tire you can find is the one on your bike. However, the current mayor understands this and the liquor laws in Utah may change next year. The nice thing about SLC is that the mormon populations keeps the non-mormons away so housing prices are very reasonable compared to the Bay Area (with the exception of the trust fund baby in Park City who drive up the prices).

·
Registered
358 Posts
Way cool! I'm completely down to help with obstacle building, if needed. Let me know. BTW -- do the obstacles get to stay up after the campout?

My dog also has had 2 knee surgeries (TPLO on both for ACL tears). You would never know it to watch her run around, though. Nonetheless, I am always about 1/2 way sick watching her negotiate the rocks down to the water at Pt. Richmond. She doesn't just have knees, she has knee$. I've spent more on her health care than my own, by a lot...

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fatdave said:
Way cool! I'm completely down to help with obstacle building, if needed. Let me know. BTW -- do the obstacles get to stay up after the campout?

My dog also has had 2 knee surgeries (TPLO on both for ACL tears). You would never know it to watch her run around, though. Nonetheless, I am always about 1/2 way sick watching her negotiate the rocks down to the water at Pt. Richmond. She doesn't just have knees, she has knee$. I've spent more on her health care than my own, by a lot...
Unfortunately, until the EBRPD or other land manager becomes enlightened to the benefits of mtbing, the obstacles will have to come down after the camp out.

I can sympathize with you on your dog. I too have sheltered the financial and emotional burden of two TPLO surgeries. She leaps across 5 foot spans with ease now but my stomach turns watching her do it! Ironically I once told a petsitter that if her vet bill was to exceed $2500 it would be time to send her over the bridge....then her first knee went and I found out just how silly of a statement that was. What my pocket book lacks in funds she more than makes up for in companionship and love.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Too bad about the obstacles, but at least they will be up for awhile. I really want to practice going up over logs, so someday I can clear the nasty root section at Skeggs on Resolution. The vid of those guys clearing made me jealous.

I too was surprised how much I was willing to spend on my dog. When the vet told me TPLO was the way to go, and how much it was, I just found a way. Same the second time. She goes with me on vacations (Fruita), and is the reason I stay in motels. Turns out the desert is too hot for the dog, and so I spend the $$$ so she can relax in the A/C while I suffer on the trail. I'd just camp and sweat, but she can't sweat.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
LOT STATUS:

I was just up at the parking area and spoke to one of the officers - he didn't even know how long the parking area at the top of the Nike Hill will be closed. His estimate was for a number of weeks, but it could be longer than that. Then again, he said it could be a couple of weeks and they'll have it done. He even "felt like a mushroom".

So - as of now - all the public parking is on the street along Lk Chabot Rd, or pay to park in the Marina area. Meeting place will be at the Iron Gate on the left side of the road at the bottom of the Nike hill, as we met last week. We'll ride from there!

·
1,075 Posts
a lot of ways to take that

ATBScott said:
...He even "felt like a mushroom"...
huh?
would you care to elaborate on that.

was he;
-soft, clammy and brownish grey and grew up in a cold dark place? (and why were you touching him in the first place?)
-giggly, mellow and experiencing minor hallucinations and an overwhelming sensation of oneness with the universe?
-felt like a short Italian plumber named Mario was about to pick him up?
- just a part of a centipede until somebody shot him?

and what does any of this have to do with the Chabot Parking situation?

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Grilled mushrooms - YUM!

Rob is swamped at work and won't be able to lead a C ride. We'll figure out details tonight.

See everyone tonight. I'll be dawning a pink face mask, this smoke is awful!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
msrutzie said:
I adore SCFan but the first thing out of his mouth after seeing a wheelie that didn't impress him was 'oh no, that's not how you do a wheelie. You have to blah, blah, blah.....' Of course his method totally contradicts everything I learned.
Yep my bad. The last thing a new rider should be doing is giving suggestions or critiquing others who have just been taught from expert riders. Not smart. All the best intentions though.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
SCFan, whenver did you claim you were smart? Your drinking capabilities are near-legendary though! How much do you intend to drink during the ride?

This smoke is bad. Just walked the dog up the hill and my throat is feeling raspy. I suggest we ride at a very mellow pace this evening. Hickory-smoked lungs are not my favorite. If I feel that I have to ride with a face mask, I won't ride! (Though of course, there are probably some of you that WISH I wold ride with a face mask! Responses to this could result is serious pain...)

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good ride last night. Our headcount seems to be holding at 15 riders. Not nearly as fun as A frames and banked bridges but a good way to spin the legs. How are everyone's lungs today. My pace was such that I was never really breathing heavy (yep, I did just hand you that one) so I'm feeling fine.

Nice to see some new faces out there too.

·
1,075 Posts
Lungs=:thumbsup: Who would ever think that years of smoking would have any benefit!

I climbed in the big ring most of the way up Brandon trail from the golf course and did so in around 14 minutes :D I heard a rumor that someone made that climb in 8 minutes but they must have had a motor or been on PCP. Let's just say 14 is par for that leg until next week.

Awesome ride.
I'm really starting to get know the trails out there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.