Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
I'm confused for a couple reasons...

KevinBicycle said:
Thought I'd share this story with everyone.
I stopped at a LBS this past summer looking to order a new headset. I had already checked my headset dimensions with a micrometer. The LBS owner told me that I was looking to order a size headset that doesn't exist. He said that there has never been such a size and that I would need to bring my frame in and have it reemed for another size headset. I had my headset parts with me and he started hymning and hawing and said that he didn't have a micrometer to check the size, but was then trying to sell me another headset the was not the right size. What kind of BS is this at this LBS? I'm surprised that he didn't try to sell me some proprietary bicycle tire air as well, lol. What a scammer!
I ended up going to another LBS and just purchased loose bearings and repacked.
Here's my headset dimensions. Looking online I see that I can order a headset in this size from many of the parts shops.
head set cups 30.0mm O.D.
steer tube 22.2mm I.D.
27mm crown race
1. Why are you complaining about something that happened last summer?
2. If you're actually trying to order a non-standard headset. Other than a Cannondale, there are only a couple different sized headsets. Your's seems like an inch and an eigth or 28.58 mm in metric +- tolerance.
3. Did you insist that there was a 30mm headset?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Ah...

KevinBicycle said:
1. Not a complaint. Good laugh for some and a good eye opener for everyone. This reminds me of the type of auto repair shop that has a discount special price on blinker fluid. Scam artists!

2. My headset is listed as 1" J.I.S.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

3. I had wrote down my headset dimensions after checking with micrometer, as well as had my headset parts with me.
I guess I didn't consider it was a threaded headset. Is it possible your LBS wasn't considering a threaded headset either? After all, they haven't been standard on mountain bikes for over 15 years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
KevinBicycle said:
That's a good consideration except that I was asking him for a 1" threaded headset with exact dimensions and I had my headset parts with me. I had even called before going there. He said, "oh yea we have a few sizes of those in stock". It was really obvious that he was trying to scam, lol.
Trying to scam? Please. Sounds like someone needs to learn more about their bike before they act a fool.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
KevinBicycle said:
koldsimer1, learn more about my bicycle?
Here's all the info needed to simply order a headset for it.
1" threaded JIS headset,
head set cups 30.0mm O.D.
steer tube 22.2mm I.D.
27mm crown race
I measured with a micrometer and had my headset parts right there. Read again. All the info necessary.
It was definitely a scam. The guy has owned this LBS for many years. He was insistently saying that I was looking for a size that has never existed. He wanted me to bring my frame in and have it reemed for another size headset. <----scam <----how do you spell scam?
99% of frames are either 1 inch, 1 1/8 inch, or 1.5 inch headsets.

I have never bought, sold, installed, or ordered a headset unless it was one of the 3 sizes I just mentioned. I have never taken a micrometer to a headtube or a steerer. I have been worked with about 300 headsets though.

To put it nicely, I think there was a simple miscommunication about sizing and installation. I bet the owner wanted to see your frame to confirm the size and ream it the .2 mm to fit a common sized headset.

I have never heard of a one inch JIS headset until you just mentioned it, and I also had to look it up on Sheldon Brown.

Frankly, I think you are a nutcase with extremely poor social skills.

Yeah, there is a JIS headset with your measurements, which I and probably 99% of bike shop employees have never heard. To insist that a shop owner who offered to make the more common sized headset work for your bike is trying to scam you makes you look more nutty.

BTW, I noticed you wrote you went to another shop to get loose bearings? Why is that, they didn't have One Inch JIS standard headsets sitting around?

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
dude get over yourself, your headset is an odd size, most people in the cycling industry today probably don't know there are two sizes of 1" headsets, I certainly didn't, 1" has been obsolete since the mid 90s, honest mistake, move on.

·
Registered
176 Posts
sanjuro said:
Frankly, I think you are a nutcase with extremely poor social skills.
ding, ding, ding. So even if the lbs guy made a mistake, which sounds like it is the case, you are gonna come on here and start a thread about how he is trying to scam you?

You seem like the typical douchebaggerton that learned something about his bike and now wants to school everyone about it. Maybe you should go ride and work on your skills instead of getting your panties all twisted.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You've been carrying this around since last summer? Whew, what a horrible burden. How have you even been able to go to work. Thank God for this forum so you could have some obviously much needed closure and move on.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.