Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally finished up the build this afternoon. Still waiting for the dual-ring guide and an X.9 frt. der., but otherwise it's ready to roll. Can't wait to take it out Sat. night and all day Sunday and Monday.

1: So hot she glows!
2: Beautifull head tube welds. Massive!
3: BB shell greatness. Looks darned beefy to me. I like it!
4: Normal looking brake, no?
5: Wow! Double disc...vented discs. Wow...these things are seriously flavorfull. YUM!

Hopefully I'll have a good dozen rides on it in a few weeks and be able to post up a relevant review.

Attachments

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Ok Mike, that just looks awesome.

It's the first time I've seen a Totem look, well, Normal! The whole bike gives off a "trailbike" feel (Especially with the triple cranks on there right now). What's amazing is the fact that it's a 7+" travel bike front and rear. You're going to surprise a lot of riders with that thing as you fly by them! Congrats!

-Aaron

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The final weight came in at 37.1lbs according to the Ultimate scale at the shop. Those doubel discs add a bit I think! :p
Frame and DHXcoil was 9.5lbs.

Man, I think I'm going to close shop early this afternoon and going for a ride...screw it! Can't wait!!:eek:

csoskin said:
Congrats. Mine is in the mail. Do you have a final weight on her?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very Respectable

Sub 38 is nothing to be ashamed of for a bike of that caliber. Well done. And FYI, blowing off work is not your choice, her spell has already been cast and it cannot be broken. :thumbsup:

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Ciclistagonzo said:
It's the first time I've seen a Totem look, well, Normal! The whole bike gives off a "trailbike" feel (Especially with the triple cranks on there right now). What's amazing is the fact that it's a 7+" travel bike front and rear.
That is exactly what I was thinking. Freaking skookum.

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
gtood god. work was way to busy to blow off...one bad thing of owning yer own business/being yer own boss....
So the first ride is still some 16hrs away. *sigh*
and Saturdays are always busy, no escaping early. Oh the torture....

I wanna ride damnitalltohellandbackagain!

·
Proud lame eBiker
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, to say the least I'm loving the bke for sure. Have yet to find anything to make it flinch yet though. Have just done xc oriented rides on the past two days. Rockville with loads of tight twisty rocky descents...no problem. Even was pretty fun pedaling up, to boot. I'm finding that if you stay on the gas the bike rides as if it's higher up in the rear travel, and feels fast. But if it get's too steep for too long, or you're just tired and can't keep the power laying down, the rear end feels like it 'sinks' into the travel more and wallows around. What the heck do I expect though, it's 7" of travel. But I gotta say after todays ride at Pioneer Trail the thing pedals really really well. We rode up the trail 12miles before turning back...so we got tons of pedaling in.
I've been riding an El Salt for a few months lately since I retired my old Bruja....and getting back on a long travel bike, boy let me tell you, it was sure nice. "Who? What? Me go around that stuff? Naaaw...let's just go straight over it!" So much fun to just monster-truck it on down the trail instead of dancing along and around stuff. ;-)
Once again nothing at Pioneer even got close to making the bike be pushed at all. But then again, if you know htis trail, it could be fun on a hardtail....

The fork....hrmmm...maybe I should have gone with the coil version. The 2-step is killer because you can jump from 135-180mm travel real fast...and it is oh so usefull for pedaling up! and also the twistier trails. but I have to say, the fork feels very harsh compared to the back of the bike. I'm below what Rockshox recommends for air pressure, but it still feels like it spikes a lot in the beginning of the travel. At slower speeds and doing some drops it felt fine, but ripping down the trail, well, the fork could be softer on the initial stroke. I'm hoping it'll loosen up with more ride time.
Speaking of which, I'm riding Auburn tomorrow. Hopefully going to throw myself down some steep and rocky stuff to see how the bike feels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts