Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
7,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brrrrr.. I obviously need to get a wind breaker or some chilly weather under garments... Suggestions?

What do you wear on a chilly day like today ? My problem is I get sweaty on the climbs and then freeze on the diownhills. :madman:

·
Tucson, AZ
2,980 Posts
Phillbo said:
Brrrrr.. I obviously need to get a wind breaker or some chilly weather under garments... Suggestions?What do you wear on a chilly day like today ? My problem is I get sweaty on the climbs and then freeze on the diownhills. :madman:
I put a newspaper under my jersey when I descend and read it during the breaks.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Phillbo said:
Brrrrr.. I obviously need to get a wind breaker or some chilly weather under garments... Suggestions?

What do you wear on a chilly day like today ? My problem is I get sweaty on the climbs and then freeze on the diownhills. :madman:
All I had for the Double today was a long-sleeve Under Armour base with a loose sleeveless top over it. Was chilly at the top of Windgate towards the end, but a non-issue otherwise.

Layer with performance wear, and peel and pack/unpack as necessary.

·
Black and Sticky
771 Posts
Try this vest

www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=42317

Or something similar. It's small and lightweight, but surprisingly warm. It will pack down to one of the small pouches on my camelback. I wear it more so on road rides, but seems to work well on trails too.

Bob

·
Kathleen in AZ
5,178 Posts
Phillbo said:

Wear a lightweight thermal shirt next to your skin. I wear Marmot Capelene but there's lots of other good stuff out there. Put on other wicking long-sleeved shirts over that if still chilly - you can peel them off as you warm up. Check out www.spectrumtechwear.com for long sleeve jerseys for cheep! They're going out of business. I was wearing one today over my capalene and it was perfect. Add knee warmers for chilly legs - I just got some nice Specialized ones for about $30. simple, easy to shed. And warmer gloves are next if your hands are cold. Wear long finger gloves at a minimum. And finally, for cold tootsies put sandwich bags over your toes before slipping your feet into shoes. The cheap kind that are fold-over work great. That's my cold weather setup :)

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
I'd say it really comes down to two things right? How much you sweat (perspire/glisten) and how much of a cold tolerance you have to begin with. Your clothing and more importantly layering will be dictated by the aforementioned. Do you start cold and heat up way to quick or visa versa? There are a number of different variances.

If it's really that bad when your actually riding. Gore Tex WindStopper. Anthing with that in it will cure your ailments. That or a nice baselayer.

Check out Under Armour for some lighter options, or their cold weather gear. I sweat a lot an can't wear the gear. UA has skin tight stuff that works for the coldest of climates, and pretty much something for everything else . I'm best with a 3/4 jersey and a nicely made soft shell jacket. I'm a big fan of pit zips and chest pocket vents . . . and if you can't handle the cold, try some base layering winter options for skiing and riding (boarding). There are numerous options out there and it all comes down to layering.

All of the cold weather gear I have is light snow/alpine gear that carries over easy and most of all breathes well.

Soft shell's are light as schnit but have the functions of pretty much every jacket out there.

Attachments

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,789 Posts
Phillbo said:
What do you wear on a chilly day like today?
Shorts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.