Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Never. Not even during the day [/knocking on wood]

Just watch out for the last homeowner on the right, before descending to Old Salmon Falls Parking lot... he's a grumpy old horse guy that LOVES yelling at cyclists. When going by (if he's there), just holler in a very friendly manner, "HI GARY!!!! HOW'S IT GOING?":D (Kill 'em with kindness).

Other than that, be respectful of anyone else you might come across.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
LT4mula said:
well I guess I should be seeing him in the morning... BTW is there anything really cool to see at the end of that run?
Nothing special to see but it is a great "in and out" ride with some of the best local singletrack around. From the **** 8 parking lot to Gary's house is about 16 miles so you get a nice 32 mile ride out of it. Enjoy.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So what is BRT like?

I rode it in only a short way many moons ago, and a large, angry looking woman came charging down the hill from her home in my direction like a mad bull. :eek:

To avoid a conflict, I just turned around and departed so I never got to experience the rest of the trail.

At the end of the BRT trail, where does it dump you out? Is it somewhere near Sweetwater? I live in Folsom about 3 miles from **** 8, so it would be awesome to do BRT and link up to Sweetwater/Salmon Falls for an epic out and back!

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
AK47 said:
....At the end of the BRT trail, where does it dump you out? Is it somewhere near Sweetwater? I live in Folsom about 3 miles from **** 8, so it would be awesome to do BRT and link up to Sweetwater/Salmon Falls for an epic out and back!
Yep it dumps you out at the old Salmon Falls Staging area just below Falcon Crest. There is a connector trail form there that take you over to Sweetwater. I also live near **** 8,, I'd be happy to show you the trails.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
One other question about BRT...

What's the dealio with the homeowners in the area yelling at cyclists on this trail? Is there an MTB access issue?

If so, that's a shame. BRT + Sweetwater + Salmon Falls is (or would be) a really nice local, long, trail system.

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
AK47 said:
What's the dealio with the homeowners in the area yelling at cyclists on this trail? Is there an MTB access issue?

If so, that's a shame. BRT + Sweetwater + Salmon Falls is (or would be) a really nice local, long, trail system.
It's just the one homeowner out by the Old SF staging area. He thinks his property includes FLSRA. I just ignore him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Started out at **** 8 and went to horse trail mileage market no. 9 - Lake View Drive area. I'd like to start out around brown's ravine so that I can make it up to the Falcon Crest area, but don't know of any parking. Saw a couple of other riders out.

·
Registered
286 Posts
There appears to be a new bridge being built a little downstream from the New York Creek crossing. A bunch of huge wood beams are laying around, and the area is all fenced off. Can't find any info about it on the State Parks website.

I guess the horsies don't like to get their feet wet when crossing the creek :rolleyes:

Great day for riding/recreating... only saw 2 hikers prior to the Forbidden Forest on this beautiful day.

·
Ultra Ventanaphile
3,346 Posts
Access issue? Nah! Poaching? YUP!

AK47 said:

Something that has not been said on this thread is, AFTER the marina on **** 8, all the trails being mentioned here are officially and posted no bikes until you reach Sweetwater.

Spare me the injustice crap, they never use it crap and all the other usual excuses.
I don't AGREE with the trails being closed off to us, but they are. And the continued and apparently growing poaching of these trails makes it nearly impossible to get the State to open up the trails. God knows we've tried.

I was part of the first effort way back in 99/00 to get it opened up, and we got shot down, but frankly after following multiple threads on here I see that the worst enemy we have is ourselves.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
On the fence on this one...

is it illegal yes, is there "good" reason for it to be. No. As you know Aaron it's the same very very small handful of folks that have kept that trail from being multi use. Will it be changed to multi-use? I really really doubt it, while the Equestrian folks were focused on MTBrs the developers decided to put their backyards right on the trail, in fact in some instance their lawn furniture and BBQ's. That'll be the death of that trail for access issues for MTBrs and equestrian's alike. Mr. Rich guy doesn't like strangers riding close enough to be able to flip his burgers for him or leave horse crap on his new slate patio. That's where the complaints will come from until the end.

Till then I'll ride that trail the same once or twice a year that I always have...wrong or not.

Roger

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The official word from FATRAC...

Just in case anyone has and doubts if this trail is open to MTB's or not, I double checked with FATRAC on this and below is Sue Fry's response. In hopes that it will one day be a multi-use trail (pipe dream or not), I'm staying off of it:

"Just to clear up any questions, the trail from Browns Marina towards Sweetwater is NOT open to bikes. If the right ranger finds you on that trail with your bike, you will likely be fined and depending on the ranger's mood your bike might even be confiscated. One day we would love to have a trail all the way around the lake....but we don't have it yet! The Folsom General Plan is still in draft form. That plan is supposed to outline what is and isn't open to bikes, etc. and what the plans are for the future. The plan was supposed to be done a year or so ago and is still in limbo! So if you ride, don't get caught and be really nice to any other trail users that you pass. I would suggest you just not ride it because it gives the horse people credibility when they say, "MTB'ers are just a bunch of lawless citizens!"

Have a great day and get out and ride. Sue"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.