Shipped to: SAN JOSE, CA, US
Shipped or Billed on: 10/02/2006
Service Type: GROUND
Weight: 13.20 Lbs

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
When you gonna change your signature? Let's break it in on Sat. You can build the bike in 2 days, right? I build mine in 1 day once I got frame :)

·
NedwannaB
12,776 Posts
13.20 lbs! That's a.....

K-max said:
"Your package is on time with a scheduled delivery date of 10/05/2006."
:thumbsup:
.....biiiig baby!! You & 'Chelle must be extactic! Or are you going over to the other dark side and getting a squishy bike???? Hope the later is not true.......:rolleyes:

·
Mtbr Founder
35,019 Posts
What's up with your package again???

I rode a Nomad last week! I'm thinking of getting one.

fc

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
So.... what's the SOURCE address?

My guess is:
frame, fork, cranks, brakes
or there is a lot of packaging for that frame.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chucke said:
NOMAD!! Plus fork I assume. :D What kind of fork?
Just the frame, folks! I had them fill the tubes with lead. That must be some heavy box, I tell ya. I'm going to build up this bad boy myself. You know what they say...you can have a pro do it, or you can screw it up yourself.

I'm going to try out the new 2-step Lyric from RS. Sounds like a killer fork and at 160mm of travel, I'll be floating on a cloud.

Here's my build ideas so far:

Medium Slate ano Nomad w/ Fox DHX 5.0 air shock
2-step Lyric 110-130-160mm
DT Swiss 340 trail wheelset with Yes Tubes
SRAM XO
Avid Juicy Carbon or maybe Hayes EC Trail
Truvativ Noir cranks or XTR?
Thomson stuff

Now I just need to learn how to huck.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
K-max said:
Avid Juicy Carbon or maybe Hayes EC Trail
Truvativ Noir cranks or XTR?
Light brakes are gooood :), just put bigger rotor upfront. 7" works great.
Not sure I'm with you on the cranks selection.

And don't forget Gravity Dropper :thumbsup:

·
Paper or plastic?
10,286 Posts
Stalk said:
Light brakes are gooood :), just put bigger rotor upfront. 7" works great.
Not sure I'm with you on the cranks selection.

And don't forget Gravity Dropper :thumbsup:
Wheelset: get a custom wheelset. That won't cost you more and will probably last you longer if built well. Mavic 819 rims are hard to beat as a do it all rim, with or without tubes. As for the hubs, it all depends on your budget. The Hope look cool and don't break the bank.

Cranks: Shimano XT is the best bang for the buck. I like my Race Face Deus but they're kind of a pain to set up.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
zorg said:
Wheelset: get a custom wheelset. That won't cost you more and will probably last you longer if built well. Mavic 819 rims are hard to beat as a do it all rim, with or without tubes. As for the hubs, it all depends on your budget. The Hope look cool and don't break the bank.

Cranks: Shimano XT is the best bang for the buck. I like my Race Face Deus but they're kind of a pain to set up.
Get some I9 wheels. I have yet to read a single negative thing about them, other than their price. They come in tons of colors and are probably the blingiest thing you can get. And we all care about bling. Chuck will have to live up his bike while he can. Once yours arrives, his will just be another Yeti. Plus I want to see how quickly you can get them, since I'm thinking about getting a set myself.

I 2nd the XT 760 cranks. The RF are pretty nice if you can get them setup. Lots of people complain about the setup process on them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
K-max, first off congrats! Another Nomad in the crowd. Second, let me know when you are going to build it up...I would like to watch if you don't mind.

And I also second the XT crankset...by far the best bang for the buck (and it's been holding up quite well to my bulk). I got it from Chainreaction for around $186 delivered and in 4 or 5 days delivery time even though it's coming from UK.

·
Ariolimax columbianus
1,635 Posts
I think you should stay with the Sram theme and get the Truvativ cranks. Can't wait to see the finish product. With all that bling it'll be comparable to a work of art, bike sculpture, especially when you build it yourself. I want a new Lyrik too, but for that price I'm looking to get a new singlespeed frame first. I can't wait for the first sub 4.5 lb 160 mm travel adjust fork with a quick release, maybe next year.

Hey Kyle I've been thinking about your post a few weeks ago, about the SJ sk8ers from your neighborhood. I remember watching Tim Brauch at a few demos when he was around. That dude had some of the sickest combination of flow, style, line choice, and speed his skateboarding, he always stood out as an innovator to me. To me contemporary skaters such as Chris Senn, Tony Trujillo embody a style similar to that relentless, all terrain, all out speed style that he had.

Hey Wherwolf nice ride. Is that your spare?

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really like the looks of the Noir cranks. But maybe they're a bit too light weight. Even though I'm a pretty low impact rider and am riding components that others would have broken long ago, it may asking for trouble to put ultra light race gear on a Nomad. It's not like I went for the lightest FS I could build, but it'd be nice to see it weigh in at 30 lbs.! I agree with others XT is tried and true, but I always like to consider other options. I would just run my Race Face Turbines, but I've worn out every ISIS bottom bracket I've used. The switch to outboard bearings has totally eliminated that problem. I have to decide whether I want to run a big ring vs. bash ring, too. Not sure if I want that big Skil Saw blade on there.

Tim was an amazing athlete. It was a shock when I heard he died. I knew he had a heart condition but to find out a 25 yr old had a heart attack. Wow. A lot of his friends got tattoos in his honor. There's a cool site about him here. http://timbrauch.com/index.htm He even made it into the Smithsonian. Rad!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Kyle,

have you considered Truvative Stylo cranks? Look good, well priced and weight not that bad at all. I would say good competition to XT's.
I been using Stylo for few month before I sold my other bike. And bashguard you can always put later on.

One extra: They are selfextracting and set up is piece of cake.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts