1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
BM and PQ Trail Rep
1,934 Posts
Wait, you mean I can use my bike for something other that playing? It is capable of work? What about my car. I need my car.

Wouldn't be cool if this caught on? If it did, what would become of the poor nations that depend on us to buy their oil at ridiculously high prices?

Kudos to UPS and the delivery man. He may not consider himself a "real biker type" but in my book he is probably more hardcore than most of us.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Sun Burn said:
In my neck of the woods they're using golf carts with trailers behind them. Not a bicycle but they use way less gas than the big trucks.
And when you factor in the amount carried as well as wear and tear on extra vehicles, gas for more vehicles vs one able to carry the entire lot, now also add in needing more drivers, you just ran into a negative.

bottom line, use the proper tool for the job to be the most efficient.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,953 Posts
Blurr said:
I cannot for the life of me understand why people in a first world country want to live like they are in a third world, giving up efficiency for?????
blurr...could you please, please extend your arguments a little...I've lived in two third world countries and as far as I know (and saw) on any of them bikes are, by choice, used as a medium of transportation...only really poor people use it when they need to save the money they spend on public transportation.

- do you commute on your bike to work?....... yes? so ???......no? too hilly?
- have you ever stay for a long period on a third world country?...please don't say you came to Puerto Vallarta on a vacation trip.

Finally...Did you read the article? UPS is saving money for this...It seems it is pretty efficient for them.

Using bikes to go to work, or groceries, or deliver a package, etc...IMHO doesn't have anything to do with be or become a third world country....

PS. are you serious?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
martinsillo said:
blurr...could you please, please extend your arguments a little...I've lived in two third world countries and as far as I know (and saw) on any of them bikes are, by choice, used as a medium of transportation...only really poor people use it when they need to save the money they spend on public transportation.

- do you commute on your bike to work?....... yes? so ???......no? too hilly?
- have you ever stay for a long period on a third world country?...please don't say you came to Puerto Vallarta on a vacation trip.

Finally...Did you read the article? UPS is saving money for this...It seems it is pretty efficient for them.

Using bikes to go to work, or groceries, or deliver a package, etc...IMHO doesn't have anything to do with be or become a third world country....

PS. are you serious?
Ok this is not to difficult, how many packages can a golf cart tow, versus how many packages can a van haul? now again, start factor in More wages, workers compensation, unemployment, benefits if said company may pay vs that of the employee ect.
Cycles obviously have a place as a Currier in certain area's again, delivering small amounts of packaging within an environment where that TOOL for the job would be better suited than a 10 wheel truck. Really not all that hard to understand, quit thinking with emotion and start thinking with logic.

People in third world countries ride a bicycle because they have no choice, vehicles are simply beyond their financial ability and when they can, they move up to usually a moped or a motorcycle, then up to a car ect. Again, they HAVE NO CHOICE! those people would love to have half the ameneties that we have, which is their dream, yet people here seem intent on shunning and being embarrassed of such amenities, really its silly but whatever floats yer boat.

As for my cycling? Lets just tell you what you would like to hear, I own a heavy equipment business, and lets use a bit of analogy with this, what would be more efficient, digging a trench with a shovel, or with a backhoe? Now lets scale that over to the peddle bike vs van hauling. now lets take this even further People haul dirt all the time with their small pickups, shoveling it in by hand with a couple of buddies but with excess weight comes extra problems on such, now again, factor in the amount of trips vs say even an eight yard dump truck what makes more sense? adversely what makes more sense using that eight yard truck to haul a shovel and some tools ,or using the dump? Do you want to spend a week doing something that should only take an hour?
Now how much extra time to have you to spend doing something?

UPS saying it is saving money, it may indeed be the case in said area, or it may be that like most business, they are under intense pressure from the government to do "green" things which appeal more to feeling, than to logic. More than likely the later, otherwise they never would have used a delievery van to begin with, unless you are saying you can peddle as fast as a vehicle? go Lance :thumbsup:

everything else in your post is absolutely moot and not worth further response.

·
a lazy pedaler
1,953 Posts
Completing your sentence...(based on the article)

Blurr said:
UPS saying it is saving money, it may indeed be the case in said area...
...and it is delivering your package on time.

not thinking with emotion...was your comment really worth it?...where is the lack of efficiency?...I mean... in that said area :thumbsup:

done.

Ps...I didn't want to know what you do for living.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
GrampBredo said:
Troll? Have you no passion for cycling? This is the passion forum...
Do you have a problem with logic?

FYI, I enjoy MB that is why I joined the site.

...and it is delivering your package on time.

not thinking with emotion...was your comment really worth it?...where is the lack of efficiency?...I mean... in that said area

done.

Ps...I didn't want to know what you do for living.
based on the amount of information given with said article its impossible to state otherwise, however address any of the points that I brought up as to why it more than likely is not and we can continue this discussion, But I am glad to see that you are not arguing the industrial development of America was not detrimental. :)

·
a lazy pedaler
1,953 Posts
Blurr said:
...based on the amount of information given with said article its impossible to state otherwise, however address any of the points that I brought up as to why it more than likely is not and we can continue this discussion, But I am glad to see that you are not arguing the industrial development of America was not detrimental. :)
well, I think we finally agree....I wasn't trying to take this conversation on that direction in any way... it was clear by Hurst that he was happy with this momentary job...showing the passion that this thread is all about....I don't know anything about your economy, and didn't or will comment about that...but certainly UPS taking that decision on that said area is not making the whole American industrial development any worse or any better...the rest, as you said, will be long to discuss...perhaps with a handy beer sometime? (that way my lack of knowledge on the subject won't be so evident) ;)

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lest anybody DIDN'T read the accompanying article, here are the salient points:

...UPS -- a company known for staggering sophistication when it comes to logistics -- has used bikes on the West Coast for a few years now...

...It's old school serving as the linchpin to one of America's most modern transactions: e-commerce, a retail sector that saw about $130 billion in U.S. sales last year.

...in years past the company would rent additional trucks to handle the crush of the peak delivery season."It was no longer cost-effective to rent these big Budget trucks to deliver packages. We had to figure out alternative ways to get people's packages to them within the time frame we committed to."

The bike initiative ... should eliminate the need for 20 to 25 rental trucks and save UPS about $45,000 to $50,000 in fuel and maintenance costs in the region..

...the regional office bought a fleet of bicycles with trailers ($700 per set) to replace the rentals in San Jose, Santa Clara, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, Palo Alto, Menlo Park and Fremont. UPS efficiency engineers look for neighborhoods that are flat, fairly densely populated and bike-friendly. Each morning trucks drop off trailers or deliver packages to temporary storage pods placed in neighborhood parking lots. The riders load up, empty their trailers and then come back for more.
I don't know how anybody could interpret this as anything other than UPS focusing on their bottom line.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,983 Posts
Blurr, you're free to think whatever you please about the 'limited efficiency' of the delivery bike; but I can assure you, the bean counters at UPS put this idea through the wringer to produce the stated savings.

The devil is in the details; delivery areas that are more bike-friendly, lighter packages, etc -- it adds up to a sub-group of delivered packages that are done with minimal investment. No one is trying to claim that everything can be done better on a bike. Each delivery vehicle has its place. This is the point of the service, and of the article about it.

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
bigpedaler said:
Blurr, you're free to think whatever you please about the 'limited efficiency' of the delivery bike; but I can assure you, the bean counters at UPS put this idea through the wringer to produce the stated savings.

The devil is in the details; delivery areas that are more bike-friendly, lighter packages, etc -- it adds up to a sub-group of delivered packages that are done with minimal investment. No one is trying to claim that everything can be done better on a bike. Each delivery vehicle has its place. This is the point of the service, and of the article about it.
Ditto !

ODN

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Blurr said:
UPS saying it is saving money, it may indeed be the case in said area, or it may be that like most business, they are under intense pressure from the government to do "green" things which appeal more to feeling, than to logic. More than likely the later, otherwise they never would have used a delievery van to begin with, unless you are saying you can peddle as fast as a vehicle? go Lance :thumbsup:

everything else in your post is absolutely moot and not worth further response.
You really believe UPS is using bikes because they are succumbing to government pressure to "go green?" That's just funny! They are a company concerned with their bottom line, and if using bikes doesn't save or make them money, they will use the brown trucks. Notice that they only use the bikes in certain neighborhoods; they're not going to use bikes where it is not economical!

Actually, I imagine that the conversation w/ management when someone first proposed the idea of using bikes went something like this (made up story w/no actual basis in truth, just my imagination, but wouldn't be surprised if I was actually close):

Management: we need to save some money.
Employee (who cycles): we could use bikes! (spoken in earnesty, but not having actually calculated if it would actually save money)
M: that's ridiculous.
E: (thinking about it a moment): no, I bet it really would save money since we'd use less gas, less wear on the trucks, etc.
M: yeah, well, you do a study and a cost analysis and we'll look into it (without actually thinking any more would come of the conversation)
Employee proceeded to actually do a study and cost analysis, showed it to management, and then it still took a fair bit of convincing to get the project off the ground.

They've been doing it for a few years now according to the article, so it appears to be working

And by the way, there are plenty of places in this so-called "First World" country where it is, indeed, faster to travel by bike than car. And you don't need to be Lance to do so.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Jwiffle said:
You really believe UPS is using bikes because they are succumbing to government pressure to "go green?" That's just funny! They are a company concerned with their bottom line, and if using bikes doesn't save or make them money, they will use the brown trucks. Notice that they only use the bikes in certain neighborhoods; they're not going to use bikes where it is not economical!

Actually, I imagine that the conversation w/ management when someone first proposed the idea of using bikes went something like this (made up story w/no actual basis in truth, just my imagination, but wouldn't be surprised if I was actually close):

Management: we need to save some money.
Employee (who cycles): we could use bikes! (spoken in earnesty, but not having actually calculated if it would actually save money)
M: that's ridiculous.
E: (thinking about it a moment): no, I bet it really would save money since we'd use less gas, less wear on the trucks, etc.
M: yeah, well, you do a study and a cost analysis and we'll look into it (without actually thinking any more would come of the conversation)
Employee proceeded to actually do a study and cost analysis, showed it to management, and then it still took a fair bit of convincing to get the project off the ground.

They've been doing it for a few years now according to the article, so it appears to be working

And by the way, there are plenty of places in this so-called "First World" country where it is, indeed, faster to travel by bike than car. And you don't need to be Lance to do so.
jesus the amount of head in the sand is absolutely amazing, do you not pay attention to what is going on in this country? The supposed green movement within the government is draconian to say the least and companies such UPS are doing what they can to push that monkey off their back.
Lets take that article itself, you have roughly 50k in fuel and maintenance in that area, but you now need multiple bicycle riders to accomplish that task, so now you have four people who cost 60k a year replacing a truck which cost a combined with a driver just over a hundred, how the hell do you see that as money savings?

·
a lazy pedaler
1,953 Posts
based on the article

blurr..I know you are trying to state something that as I said I won't comment about... but...regarding UPS actions...

The article said: "Hurst is one of about two dozen UPS workers who are pedaling up to homes in Silicon Valley this holiday season..."

It would be nice that someone clarify if this is actually a temporal action to counteract the holiday demand or if UPS is doing this the whole year...

slocaus..is Bob doing it the whole year?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.