Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking of doing this loop this coming sun. i haven't been there in ages. how are the trails on this route after all this rain???

cheers!

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
damn

Kam considering how light you and your bike is, I think you can peddle thro anything bro.......haha

·
a.k.a. MTBMaven
1,750 Posts
Looks Good From The 2

I too checked out Burton from the 2 the last time I was heading to Chilao. The trail looks pretty good from the highway. I rode it in the fall and the vegetation was nicely cut back, except for one section near the bottom. Granted things have changed pretty signifcantly sense then. I will say the Arroyo has got to be jacked. I know it was when I rode it. I think some people have been riding the Red Box-JPL route so maybe they will reply. Good luck.

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
elab said:
What's up Kam,

Still doing this ride tomorrow?
maybe, ya up for it Ben???

i hate being the guinea pig when stuff involves ticks and poison oak (even though i never get bad rashes). but, i think i may try it.

oh...and i'll be pedalling my 29er with a bit 'o travel up front....not my ss cx.

cheers!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Over-grown

At least the upper leg of it is. The section extending out to the nose before you begin the descent to the switchbacks is overgrown. Very rdieable, but thick in places. I really only went about 1/2 mile into it and turned back to do ElP. Good luck.

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
man

The forcast is clear, but im in bad shape, I doubt I can ride more than 10 miles right now. What time you guys want to head out at? If we are going to pasadena area, i cant make it before 8am.....

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lone-rider said:
At least the upper leg of it is. The section extending out to the nose before you begin the descent to the switchbacks is overgrown. Very rdieable, but thick in places. I really only went about 1/2 mile into it and turned back to do ElP. Good luck.
thanks for the update. i saw this is your first post on mtbr aswell....i feel honored (considering you posted to help me out)!!! ;)

i will probably skip out, maybe stick to turnbull, or maybe santiago truck trail.

Hey elab...where ya headed tomorrow???

·
A hopped on pop.
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, so i am reporting back from my ride with elab. sorry cabnjunkie, for not calling. we hit the trail at about 7:30 or so and we finalized our plans kinda late last night. you probably would have been sleeping or maybe passed out :D

ok, we were planning on doing lower merril/sunset/el prieto. we get to the lot off windsor and decide to check out brown mtn/ken burton/gabrielino for you all. there were alot of dh'ers at the lot so we thought that lower gabrielino/arroyo seco would probably be ok.

the climb up brown mtn...no problemo. the soil was nice and tacky. there were two slides towards the top and those weren't a BIG deal. you can ride over them with abit of a grunt.

ken burton...it's ok. elab made it look easy...i was dabbing like heck and trying not to lock up the rear tire. the switchbacks are ok, most have ruts in the middle.

as far as growth goes, it's not too bad. it' s easily rideable, but the lower part of burton (the last 2-3 switchback) is getting bit thick...granted it's only thick for about 3/4 of a mile or so. not alot of poison oak or thorny plants and a zero tick count for both of us....so that was nice.

gabrielino is another story. this part of the ride took us a LONG time. tons of stream crossings....and you are not riding thru them, but lugging the bike over your shoulder. i lost count after the 5th (there are probably close to 8 or 9 or so). there are about 3 crossing that you can probably clean on your bike. the water is nice and cold...my @ss and face will tell you that (i took a dip because the rocks in the stream have a nice, slippery sheet of algae over them).

basically, brown mtn...good. burton is ok. gabrielino is another story...it's pretty bad, and it seems like it's gonna be awhile before it is back to normal (whatever that is).

maybe ben (aka elab) will chime in later. some of you so cal ss'ers will get a chance to meet him at the so cal ss summit at noble.

cheers!

·
120 pounds of xc sex!
639 Posts
haha

Yup, you know me to well Kam! I was up late on sat night trying to Jock a hunnie, or whatever the kids call it today. I heard a lot about those stream crossings, and I know all those streams have hidden rocks all over them, I still have a battle wound from one that attacked me on JPL two years ago! Thanks for being the test rat tho.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Kam described the ride to a T. Lots of water still going through the arroyo. The section just after Oakwilde is particularly bad. A couple of times the water level went close to waist height (I'm 5'8"). In a few sections you're not just crossing but hike-a-biking in the creek.

Oh well, I guess my curiosity about the condition of the Gabrielino has been satisfied.

:eek: No DH'ers going through here. They must be going down Mt Lowe, I guess...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.