Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am the former owner of a 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. This bike came with a Judy XC, which was brown in color. That bike is no more, but I recently acquired a Klein Fervor which has what appears to be an identical fork - a brown Judy XC. According to Klein, the Fervor was made until 1995.

My question is - did RockShox make the 1995 judy (which was I believe its first year) in brown, or does this color by definition make it a 1996?

Thanks for anyone that can clear up this question.

·
nobody
490 Posts
DBoy said:
Hello,

I am the former owner of a 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper M2. This bike came with a Judy XC, which was brown in color. That bike is no more, but I recently acquired a Klein Fervor which has what appears to be an identical fork - a brown Judy XC. According to Klein, the Fervor was made until 1995.

My question is - did RockShox make the 1995 judy (which was I believe its first year) in brown, or does this color by definition make it a 1996?

Thanks for anyone that can clear up this question.
The 95 Judy XC was brown (I think "magnesium" was the color they called it). If I remember right it was a 2" travel fork. In '96 they kept them the same color but they increased the travel to a whopping 2.5" (63mm). I still have my '96 judy. My first suspension fork. I'm planning on building up a retro (mid 90's) like SS with it this year.

To answer your question, it could be either. Rock shox made travel kits in 2, 2.5 and 3" for the Judy XC's and SL's of that era. To my knowledge the 95 judy's were only available as a 2" travel fork. Could be wrong. You could measure the travel to find out although I never really think I got the full 2.5" out of mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much -

The reason i got this bike was to do what your are thinking - retro SS. I also called Rockshox - rather SRAM - they said the same thing you did. I have TAC in my 96 judy and am looking to use them in the Klein's fork now...

art_vandelay said:
The 95 Judy XC was brown (I think "magnesium" was the color they called it). If I remember right it was a 2" travel fork. In '96 they kept them the same color but they increased the travel to a whopping 2.5" (63mm). I still have my '96 judy. My first suspension fork. I'm planning on building up a retro (mid 90's) like SS with it this year.

·
nobody
490 Posts
DBoy said:
Thanks so much -

The reason i got this bike was to do what your are thinking - retro SS. I also called Rockshox - rather SRAM - they said the same thing you did. I have TAC in my 96 judy and am looking to use them in the Klein's fork now...
Sounds like a cool project. I've browsed ebay looking for upgrades for the older Judy's and everything seems to go for top dollar: Englund cartridges, risse gem cartridges, etc. I'd like to get a 3" travel kit for mine (then I might get the 2.5 I'm supposed to get :D ) but I'm sure it'd be more than I want to spend. I picked up a late 90's Z1 on ebay for less than I saw some englund cartridges go for. It's pretty crazy. I guess there's enough people like us who still use them!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually am going to install englund cartridges in it - I have a set in the 96 judy XC that came off of my specialized. That is actually the root of my question - there are some compatibility issues with the 95s, which is why i am looking to find out the year of the fork.

I have run the englunds for a long time and actually love them. Would recommend them to you in your project. My current bike is an ellsworth truth w/ a 100mm marathon, a great fork, and I still like the feel of the englunds.

Good luck in yours....

art_vandelay said:
Sounds like a cool project. I've browsed ebay looking for upgrades for the older Judy's and everything seems to go for top dollar: Englund cartridges, risse gem cartridges, etc. I'd like to get a 3" travel kit for mine (then I might get the 2.5 I'm supposed to get :D ) but I'm sure it'd be more than I want to spend. I picked up a late 90's Z1 on ebay for less than I saw some englund cartridges go for. It's pretty crazy. I guess there's enough people like us who still use them!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.