Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Class Clown
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been riding the Brose speed pedelec motor for about 6 months now, 100 miles/week commuting. Bike was fine on a ride home. Next day I took it out and when in a power mode, cruise/tour/sport the motor let's out a really loud, high pitched revving noise. Does not seem to provide any power. The battery will shut off and come back on after about 10 seconds. Riding with no assist seems fine.

I took the covers off and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Display tells the MPH as usual. I tried another battery and same issue. Does this sound like something internal to the motor causing this?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Been riding the Brose speed pedelec motor for about 6 months now, 100 miles/week commuting. Bike was fine on a ride home. Next day I took it out and when in a power mode, cruise/tour/sport the motor let's out a really loud, high pitched revving noise. Does not seem to provide any power. The battery will shut off and come back on after about 10 seconds. Riding with no assist seems fine.

I took the covers off and nothing looks out of the ordinary. Display tells the MPH as usual. I tried another battery and same issue. Does this sound like something internal to the motor causing this?
When you say you took the covers off and everything looked fine, did you check the belt?

I'm not a Brose expert, nor do I play one on a sitcom, but if the belt was slipping or a pulley was loose, it might make noises like that. It wouldn't surprise me if the software has an RPM cutout, and if the motor is overrevving because the belt is loose or gear stripped, it might cut the power.

Another possibility is you stripped the planetary gear ring or one of the planets.

·
Class Clown
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They have replacements so I am going to try to get a few. I have definitely pushed this motor alot and I guess this is what happens. Pretty easy fix anyway, I was thinking it would be worse.

·
Class Clown
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So much for a simple fix

Installed the new belt, but I am getting no power in any of the modes, just rides like a regular bike. Display works fine.

Any ideas?

Also am I supposed to be able to turn the smaller gear that the belt goes around by hand?

[/URL]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Installed the new belt, but I am getting no power in any of the modes, just rides like a regular bike. Display works fine.

Any ideas?

Also am I supposed to be able to turn the smaller gear that the belt goes around by hand?

[/URL]
Hey Man, I am following your post with a lot of interest since I am hoping to keep my 2 levos running as long as possible. Could you share with type of bike/motor this is? Also, did you check if there was any type of switch/sensor that will detect that the cover was off?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
They might have to do some reset(an authorized dealer).
I guess they try to keep users from opening the engine.
Here in Quebec retailers of Giant and Shimano are being told
unscrew(the engine) and ship(to us).
I do not know about the others but it might be similar.

·
Class Clown
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess I'll have to take it in. I tried with the cover off and the motor doesn't even try to engage.

The weird part is it was definitely providing power with the broken belt, it just couldn't be transferred. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong mechanically. Maybe there is some reset or something. There is another connector on the motor next to the display connection, looks like it might be for diagnostics.

·
Class Clown
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I went to the local shop which deals with Specialized and they didn't seem to know much about ebikes. I am going to take it to an ebike shop this weekend. It seems the toughest part is just finding support.

·
Over the Hill
1,769 Posts
I have had a Levo for a couple years. I have burnt thru two belts both replaced by Specialized under warranty. Right now I have a loaner motor from the Specialized dealer while my motor is being replaced. Apparently motors are on back order and have been since I took my bike in 3 weeks ago. No word from Specialized when motors will be available again.

Thinking about buying a backup motor when they come available. I was lucky my bike shop has a loaner motor.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.