Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride mine about half the time without a chamois in my shorts, and I dont miss it a bit. Anyone out there ride without a chamois with these saddles? It seems like I read somewhere that many people with these do not use a chamois.

I bought the new green brooks about a week ago and it is really great...I guess when it "breaks in" it will feel even better.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Chamois is dead.

And I didn't get the memo. That "pad" in your shorts ain't chamois.

In the past, a proper leather "chamois" in one's shorts, combined with a Brooks leather saddle, or any other saddle, would equal comfort beyond belief, now we have to make do with some synthetic crap that barely suffices.

My '70 B17 has finally broken in, to the point that I can wear regular cargo shorts with very little discomfort, maybe a little wiggling, but OK for fifty miles or so.

With the newer model Brooks saddles I own, I wear a Andiamo cycling brief underneath the same cargo shorts.

I realize "genuine" chamois caused all sorts of fatal perineal diseases and such, but I still want some.......

IMO, chamois shoud NOT be dead.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xrmattaz said:
That "pad" in your shorts ain't chamois.
Yeah, that is true, but its sort of like calling today's inverted plastic trays "saddles". While they bear zero resemblance to a traditional "saddle" we still use the term without thinking.

To your point, I did mean synthetic chamois (aka pad). I have never even laid eyes on a true chamois, so I can not comment on superiority.

I just wish I had pulled my weight weenie head out of my aching butt much sooner on this whole Brooks thing!

Probably never would have tried one if it were not for these forums. Thanks

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
With and without

I generally commute to work and do short trail rides without a chamois "pad" or whatever you guys agree upon for a term. I went for a long 80 mile ride last weekend with some baggies equipped with a "cycling specific insert" (ha ha!) and to be honest, I just as well could have lived without it. It didn't enhance or detract from the experience, it was just there. That said, I'd probably opt for the cycling short for perspiration issues more than I would for any other reason.

On the subject of "true" chamois: does anybody make a bib short out of wool? Maybe even with a "real" chamois? Seems like with todays Merino wool a great bib short could be made out of that natural fiber. Just wondering aloud!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
-snip-
On the subject of "true" chamois: does anybody make a bib short out of wool? Maybe even with a "real" chamois? Seems like with todays Merino wool a great bib short could be made out of that natural fiber. Just wondering aloud!
I don't know if anyone makes any, but I like riding in my DIY ghetto solution. I wear a pair of Performance branded padded Lycra under some cutoff 100% Wool dress pants. I have a pair of shorts I made and another I turned into knickers. Total price for the dress pants were $3 each at Salvation Army. I got the idea from a post on the Passion board I think.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I have never used padded shorts or nics with the "nappy" type chamois.

I either wear ordinary boardshorts or plain unpadded lycra nics with the Brooks. Just a pair of ordinary soft cotton underpants under the nics works best for me.

I think that the less material you have between your butt and the Brooks leather saddle, the better it works.

R.

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
"Real" leather chamois was good....seemed like I blinked, then it was gone.

I don't get along well with most of the current synthetic pads (nut pinchers??), but have found a bit of love for the Andiamo undershorts, or nothing at all with my "more broke in" Brooks saddles.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Well......... I used to only wear lycra nics on my road bike, but felt sort of ... "racerboy" when wearing nics on my mtb.

However, once I realised it was all in my head...:p

Now I wear unpadded lycra nics on my mtb and they are so damn confortable that I don't want to wear anything else.

I wear shorts for a quick ride to the shop, but whenever I go offroad, i'm wearing lycra now.

Cool, comfortable = better ride. :thumbsup:

R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.