Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
That's gonna leave a mark
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a show of hands (and feedback):

Who is using the Brooks bar leather tape? What do you think of it?

I'm building up a rigid SS w/ Black Sheep Mountain Moustache bars and Ti fork combo with an old Brooks leather saddle. I'm going to use the Brooks bar tape, but I'm wondering if I should consider getting the Marsas padding. Anyone ever use this stuff?

·
WAWE
1,434 Posts
hollister said:
been rockin the old type(no perforation) for a few months.love it:thumbsup:
Cool.

Offroad, it's bound to get scraped up a bit... does it tear/shred/disintegrate like cork?

Is it slippery when wet?

How about gloveless?

·
velocipede technician
8,877 Posts
aosty said:
Cool.

Offroad, it's bound to get scraped up a bit... does it tear/shred/disintegrate like cork?

Is it slippery when wet?

How about gloveless?
stuff seems pretty tuff.dont know, im using it on the road

it feels sticky when it gets wet.

has zero compression, im all ways gloved

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
I have it on my bike covering On-One Midge bars. I did run it with Fizik gel pads under it but found it a little thin for my big hands and not quite enough cush.

I have re-wrapped the bars with normal cork tape on the drop section under the Brooks tape and on its own up top as I rarely use that position.

Having put in a 100 and 200km road audax plus loads of off-road miles I can say it is really nice, I ride gloved (Specialized full-finger, no padding except the ulnar bit) and have had no problems since I have got the angle of the bars sorted. As noted above it is good in the wet and gets kind of sticky, I wipe it over once in a while with Proofide to keep it looking good and stop the rot.

After the crash last weekend in a rocky gully that grazed a brake lever / hood and took a fair bit of paint off the frame (and skin off me) the tape is fine :thumbsup:

Alex

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I've got some Black Sheep bars on the way too and was thinking of some ESI thinner, race grips. I know that they will cut them in custom lengths for you. Can anybody think of why that wouldn't work out?

·
Look at the time!
1,139 Posts
I didn't like it. Hard to wrap, uncomfortable. I could've double wrapped the bar with cork tape like some people here have, but then it wouldn't have been long enough to fully cover the (road) bars.

Then I read some posts of people complaining how (the honey brown one) looks really nasty after a few bad weather rides, so unwrapped mine and sold it.

plastic bartape is more durable, any tape is more comfortable. Brooks tape looks very nice, but in the end it is a fashion accessory

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
lelebebbel said:
I didn't like it. Hard to wrap, uncomfortable. I could've double wrapped the bar with cork tape like some people here have, but then it wouldn't have been long enough to fully cover the (road) bars.

Then I read some posts of people complaining how (the honey brown one) looks really nasty after a few bad weather rides, so unwrapped mine and sold it.

plastic bartape is more durable, any tape is more comfortable. Brooks tape looks very nice, but in the end it is a fashion accessory
Double-wrapping is pretty much de riguer if you actually ride. I am surprised that it was too short for road bars as I cut a fair bit off my roll when I wrapped the Midge bars which while quite shallow are wiiiiide.

I sort of wish I went for the brown tape but i had a black saddle and it would have looked a little weird ;) What was that about a fashion accessory? :thumbsup:

Not sure about plastic / synth cork being more durable though, my crash wuld have had me re-wrapping the bars, as it was I wiped off the mud and carried on.

I have heard about people going to sports shops for leather tennis racket tape as a cheap alternative.

Alex

·
Look at the time!
1,139 Posts
I didn't actually try to double wrap the bar, but I was using almost the whole tape for a single wrap so it didn't seem possible. Just from looking at it, the tape-covered length of a midge is not as long as one a regular road bar with its distinctive bends, so it's possible that you need less tape to cover a midge bar.

by durable I mean weatherproof (I have no doubt about the leathers abrasion-resistance).

A roll of plastic tape (not cork) lasted me over a year on my messenger bike, I just had to re-wrap it once or twice because it stretched a bit and became loose. Cork -to me- has the best feel, which is why I use it now on my civilian bike. And for the price of a brooks leather tape one could buy a lot of cork tape.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Love my Brooks Tape But...

Is anyone having trouble with the tape slipping off the ends of the bar?? I am on a Black Sheep bar as well and am having the leather tape slip about half an inch off the end of the bar. This is also the only tape I've had this issue with. I love the tape's feel but need to find a way to keep it from slipping.:madman:

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
miSSionary said:
Is anyone having trouble with the tape slipping off the ends of the bar?? I am on a Black Sheep bar as well and am having the leather tape slip about half an inch off the end of the bar. This is also the only tape I've had this issue with. I love the tape's feel but need to find a way to keep it from slipping.:madman:
miSSionary, did you just wrap with the leather tape, or are you using something underneath for added cushion? Pic please. ;)

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Upchuck said:
miSSionary, did you just wrap with the leather tape, or are you using something underneath for added cushion? Pic please. ;)
Upchuck,
I just used the tape, nothing under it. As I said I do love the tape, just need to find a better way to keep it on. Here is a pic, I have wrapped it so that it is really stacked on itself to make it somewhat fatter. I was using standard bar tape and doing the "double wrap" like has been suggested here. With the Brooks I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up so I did the single wrap and liked the feel, though it was not much different than the other tapes, just much more of the bling factor.:D

Attachments

·
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
miSSionary said:
Upchuck,
I just used the tape, nothing under it. As I said I do love the tape, just need to find a better way to keep it on. Here is a pic, I have wrapped it so that it is really stacked on itself to make it somewhat fatter. I was using standard bar tape and doing the "double wrap" like has been suggested here. With the Brooks I didn't want to take the chance of messing it up so I did the single wrap and liked the feel, though it was not much different than the other tapes, just much more of the bling factor.:D
Man that's a nice bike. I bet she rides like a dream, too.

I normally use Rogue or Oury grips (fat). I was thinking of using some bar padding under the leather tape. I'll wait until I have a chance to feel the thickness of my Black Sheep bar before I decide.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Upchuck said:
Man that's a nice bike. I bet she rides like a dream, too.

I normally use Rogue or Oury grips (fat). I was thinking of using some bar padding under the leather tape. I'll wait until I have a chance to feel the thickness of my Black Sheep bar before I decide.
Thanks Upchuck, yes she does ride like a dream and everytime I put a leg over her I still can't believe she's mine!
The Black Sheep bars are pretty thin by the touch. I was using the Oury grips before I got the bar from James, if that is what you are used to I would suggest going with the padding or doing a double wrap, obviously using a cheap wrap for the base. Either way you will LOVE the bars but they will feel slim.:D

·
highly visible
3,272 Posts
Don't forget ...

These guys, makers of the worlds finest saddles, also offer waterproof leather bar tape for $54.98.

·
Registered
16,122 Posts
I am proudly flying the flag of

t e n n i s
r a c q u e t
t a p e !

Best feel of anything I've laid hands on that didn't involve dinner, drinks, and dancing.

I'm going to keep squawking about it until someone else tries it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts