Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My winter bike was stolen and I have to use my 3-season "good bike" for winter rides. It has a Brooks Swift saddle on it. I have logged about 3K miles on that saddle but never used it in winter. So far, I have been out with it down to about 25-30F and it seems ok but with Minnesota winter coming, I am looking for opinions about whether it's good to use this kind of saddle for winter riding.

Also, on the "how cold is too cold" thread, I saw some comments about hydraulic brakes.. my only bike has them and I am wondering if that's going to be a problem? The max temp I would be out in is maybe -10F.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,164 Posts
It's a good idea to not get the Brooks too wet if possible.

When the leather gets soaked, it softens and stretches under your weight.

I usually place a thin plastic bag over mine and tie it off underneath on the seatpost if caught out in the rain on a ride.

Most of the water gets flung up on the underside of the saddle by the rear wheel, so a mudguard helps prevent this.

R.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Forget the brakes.

Big K said:
My winter bike was stolen and I have to use my 3-season "good bike" for winter rides. It has a Brooks Swift saddle on it. I have logged about 3K miles on that saddle but never used it in winter. So far, I have been out with it down to about 25-30F and it seems ok but with Minnesota winter coming, I am looking for opinions about whether it's good to use this kind of saddle for winter riding.

Also, on the "how cold is too cold" thread, I saw some comments about hydraulic brakes.. my only bike has them and I am wondering if that's going to be a problem? The max temp I would be out in is maybe -10F.
I have no info on the saddle, but at the temps you are talking the brakes will be fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.