Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about a Brooks Flyer saddle with the springs (yes springs). Love my monocog and while riding offroad I have no lower back pain because I'm standing, but I would like a bit of cushion while riding on the road. Thoughts - anyone have experience with a saddle like this? Would it do a damn thing for the vibration?

·
Retro Grouch
2,091 Posts
I have 3 Brooks saddles, two are B-17's (the same as a Flyer without springs). Regardless, I would not recommend one on a mountain bike. First, because Brooks saddles and water do not play well together. Sure, you can slather them with Proofide, but they are not capable of being drenched on a constant basis without self destructing. Further, this type of leather needs to breath, so any attempt to "seal" the saddle with silicone, or any other sealant will result in the saddle drying up and cracking.

Second, the springs on the saddle are akin to a shock without damping; i.e. a pogo stick for a seat. My advise would be a suspension seat post. I have one on my SS and it does the job. I have battled back problems for years, but it never the result of riding since my use of one. I use an older version of the Origin 8 Air Pro with no problems.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the input

That's kinda what I was hoping someone would say..(I'm just too skeert to just throw $130.00 at a saddle experiment).. I've been looking at the thudbuster and while it looks like it would work wonderfully, it kinda goes against why I personally ride a singlespeed... To keep things as mechanically simple as possible after years of blowing through the wonderful world of Chi-Chi bling-bling, expensive geared, super dual boinger, worn out squeeky bushing parts. As a kid, my BMX bike never broke and I rode the @#$ out of it. Same thing through college on a 24" cruiser. Now again on a Monocog. Thanks, as always, for all of the input! I'll give the Brooks a shot and see what kind of luck I have.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Brooks Conquest had a great top and comfortable springs. I was sorry to see it discontinued. A good sprung saddle will cushion you from road shock and you don't need a suspension seatpost. There's no pogo effect. The hard surface of the saddle prevents that and when you ride over a bump, the springs smooth out the shock so you don't feel rattled. There's something to be said for a sprung saddle and I love it but if you're racing, then the plain unsprung version is much lighter. You'd want that for competitive advantage. For me, the comfort outweighs the weight weenie issue.

·
Needed Less ~ Did More
1,012 Posts
Sure, you can slather them with Proofide, but they are not capable of being drenched on a constant basis without self destructing.

Look carefully on the saddle, it says "Brooks, England" and England is well known the world over for its arid climate :thumbsup:

2.5years on a Swift Ti and 2 tins of Proofide and it looks and works amazing. It does take a little more looking after than a plastic saddle but the performance is worth it.

SSP

·
climb
2,293 Posts
aka brad said:
Regardless, I would not recommend one on a mountain bike. First, because Brooks saddles and water do not play well together.
I guess this is a YMMV comment. I don't live in the northwest under constant downpours, but I don't worry about cowhide deteriorating either. How did all of those work boots last so long in the ol' days? I still have a pair of leather hiking boots from '92...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.