Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered myself a Bronson with the standard shock as I'm thinking of swapping it out for a Monarch RC3 plus. Has anyone here done this, is it a worthwhile upgrade ?

I see people raving about the cane creek db with a Bronson but those shocks cost a bit more over here and the Monarch is 1/2 the price.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Sunshine & Slippery Trail
167 Posts
I'm torn with which way to go. Initially was going to test the Monarch +, and have heard a number of folks say they really like the improved ride quality it gave, but the DB Air seems like it may be even better. Question is, is it enough of an improvement to justify the extra $$$?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I should have my Bronson built up in the next couple of weeks with a Monarch Plus. I'll post up some reports after I get some ride time in on the bike and the shock.

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
There's a bit of a weight penalty w/ the CCDB too...but from all reports, it's supposed to be the bee's knees.

I run a M+ on a TBLTc. A side benefit is you can get into and custom tune the M+ pretty easily...no N2 charge.

·
Registered
434 Posts
here's an email i just got from SC.

click on image to enlarge
David,

The Monarch is a great shock and there is no reason you couldn't use on on your Bronson. Though if you go with piggyback style shock like the Debonair you will forgo the use of a bottle cage. I can give you the shock tune information for the CTD on the Bronson, but you should contact Rockshox to find out what tune they would recommend on the Monarch.

Text White Line Colorfulness Font

Cheers!
Joe

Tech Support - Santa Cruz Bicycles

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
Do any of you Bronson riders know if there's a Linkage model for the bike yet? It would be good to see if it's similar to the other vpp2 curves. If it IS similar, then it gets pretty progressive towards end of stroke to where you really want a more linear shock...

Edit: seems someone did model up the Bronson...but 2 stars!?

Linkage Bike Simulation Software - Bike library

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Weird, there is another thread where someone said they got a reply from SC and were told they needed a Monarch with a Low compression and medium Rebound which I think makes more sense

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
yea i saw that thread. i think it was because the rider was only 140lbs so they recommend a L/L as he was claiming the M/M tune was too harsh for him. But i'm 180 with gear +/- 5lbs so im wondering if i would even have a problem. I'm suppose to go into my lbs and order the bike, buti i dont want to order it with the monarch plus if its going to be worse than the ctd kashima

·
Registered
28 Posts
SC recommended a low comp/mid rebound for a Monarch RC3+ on my Bronson as I'm 140lb with gear. I scoured every distributor and contacted RS but none can order the low comp shim stack yet since it's still early 2014. At Sea Otter this year the rep said 'everyone runs M/M on their Bronson regardless of their weight.' This is not true though.
I've got several hundred mi on the Monarch w M/M, and, compared to the Fox CTD K, it feels slightly more harsh over the small bumps with much better mid stroke support at the same level of sag (25-30%). I like how well it controls the rear end under fast hard impacts and landings. Rather than a rough bottom out like the Fox, the Monarch keeps its composure much like a coil spring. For my weight/riding style I wouldn't call it an upgrade as much as getting a different feel from the bike. For fast DH runs where you're really working the shock, this keeps the rear more controlled than the Fox (plus it doesnt heat up then fade). The firm platform setting is also nice for hilly 5K+ days- rides like a grippy hardtail at 30% sag, where the Fox barely feels different in Climb mode. Heavier riders (180lb+) who have tried my bike say the same thing-feels more like a linear coil, but you lose the nice squish off the top end. Debonair upgrade might fix that!

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel

·
Registered
434 Posts
ive had 3 rides on mine so far and at 175-180 lbs geared up it seems to be completely fine. this weekend im taking it to a bike park so we'll see how it handles a little more aggressive trails. still trying to get everything sorted out. m/m tune

·
Sunshine & Slippery Trail
167 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
If your referring to the little upturn at the very end of the stroke on that leverage ratio graph, that means its regressive at the very end of the stroke, not progressive. It is progressive from 50-135 mm of the travel. Decreasing leverage ratio = progressive. As you can see, it is not as progressive as the RM Altitude.
Howver, the bikje will spend a lot of its time at 50-135 mm of stroke, and that is where its progressive. the regressiveness at the last 15 mm of stroke only comes into play on the very biggest hits.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.