Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6'1" and currently ride a 29.

Both bikes would be the lower end specs. About $3500.

Shoot!

Edit: Forgot to mention terrain. I'm in colorado and plan on hitting some lift accessed parks and use this bike as my do it all. So there will be a fair amount of climbing as well as chunky downhill.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Depends on your terrain and bike feel you like. For more XC style stuff I like 9ers , and more gravity style AM riding I like smaller wheels that let me more the bike around more. I currently ride a 650B bike, same height as you, and am 180 with full gear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depends on your terrain and bike feel you like. For more XC style stuff I like 9ers , and more gravity style AM riding I like smaller wheels that let me more the bike around more. I currently ride a 650B bike, same height as you, and am 180 with full gear.
Forgot to mention terrain. I'm in colorado and plan on hitting some lift accessed parks and use this bike as my do it all. So there will be a fair amount of climbing as well as chunky downhill.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wouldn't get super hung up on the wheelsize. There is so much more to a bike than wheelsize. The enduro has almost the same wheelbase, and it has shorter chainstays, so anyone who says that its not nimble enough obviously has not ridden one.
Yeah I'm testing the Enduro this weekend. LBS doesn't have a large in stock for the Bronson so I'll have to wait for that test. The enduro honestly wasn't on my short list until the LBS suggested it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Enduro all the way. I own one and test rode a Bronson(that should be a hint). The above posters are right. Get the enduro and you wont look back. My buddy has his heart set on the Pivot Mach 6 untill he rode my enduro and he hates 29ers and Specialized in general.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I agree with his take:

Climbing performance: Make no mistake, this bike is not going to win any races to the top of the mountain. It's very slack and it's very plush. Also keep in mind, I don't like to use switches, so all my feedback is with the shock in descend mode. That said, this bike is likely the most efficient FSR bike I've ridden, easily as good a climber as my Stumpy 29er.

Not as efficient as, say, a multi-link suspension design (DW, VPP, etc.), particularly on smoother climbs. FSR, however, does shine on technical, ledgy climbs. In fact, over two days, I cleared three individual obstacles that I've only cleaned once or twice in years of riding.

The bike rewards mostly seated climbing with a smooth cadence. Yes, stand to shift weight to clear big obstacles, but if you're a stand-up masher or have a bunch of smooth fire road-type climbing, this bike might not be for you.
For me the best answer is both. I have a truax/totem FSR coil for rides that don't require speedy climbing but have chunky descents, and a bronson C for the rides w/ lots of climbing at a fast pace. Once you've owned a well-tuned DW or VP2, and assuming you like techy climbs that require out-of-the-saddle efforts, it's hard to go back to FSR IME.

Neither the Bronson or the Enduro 29 would be my choice for bike parks.

·
No Clue Crew
7,170 Posts
Both exceptional bikes. Both with some weak spots in the low-end $3,500 models. Tough choice for sure. As always, spend as much time as you can on both; one will probably speak to you.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,328 Posts
Forgot to mention terrain. I'm in colorado and plan on hitting some lift accessed parks and use this bike as my do it all. So there will be a fair amount of climbing as well as chunky downhill.
I did a DH race on the E29 last year, as well as several lift-accessed days. The thing that stood out was that I wasn't "flighting" the E29 down the chutes and nasty stuff. I've ridden many bikes, even DH bikes, where you "fight" the bike down and it's just not fun. Sure, you "survive" riding said bike, but you spent the whole time death-gripped to the brakes with arms pumping up and little control over where you want to go and how you are going about it. Besides being a ripping bike and fun on the DJ/park type stuff, it was fun on the gnarly descents too, which I wasn't so sure about before I tried it. Where I do notice a little bit of disadvantage is switchbacks/tight turns at MODERATE speed. Anyone can nail a switchback at slow speed, 29er or whatever, as long as the bike is slack and they move their weight. The wheel simply isn't going fast enough for gyroscopic precession to be an issue, but at moderate speeds it is a bit. At higher speeds on straights the 29er just seems to roll with "free energy" compared to 26ers. The bike is really fun all around.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I own the '14 Enduro 29er so I have a biased opinion. I did come from a Trek Fuel 26 and glad I made the switch as this bike fits me much better.

It is a fast bike over some of the harshest terrain (I live in Vegas where there is a lot of rocks and boulders).

Someone did mention the C1 brakes; I changed mine to XT after my first ride :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I own the '14 Enduro 29er so I have a biased opinion. I did come from a Trek Fuel 26 and glad I made the switch as this bike fits me much better.

It is a fast bike over some of the harshest terrain (I live in Vegas where there is a lot of rocks and boulders).

Someone did mention the C1 brakes; I changed mine to XT after my first ride :)
Are you still on stock wheels? I figure I'll keep it stock and just replace things as I break them. Brakes were the only thing that I was thinking needed to go sooner than that.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Lots of other options, and not worth mentioning them all here. I wouldn't buy anything without spending some significant time on them as there are so many great bikes out there at this pricepoint. I've got a fairly dialed Bronson AL in XL, but nothing on it is stock. I think it's still listed FS if you're interested.

You may want to wait for the Canfield Balance if you plan on getting into gnarlier terrain as time goes on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts